Brighton (A) - 05 Oct 18 - 8pm ko - Match Thread

Comments

• Damn

Knew it would be a difficult game

They blocked us out well, sloppy goal to give away and some poor misses/decisions by our attackers
  • Such an annoying game. Brighton were as poor as us in reality.
  • Pretty annoying to lose to a side as poor as that
  • edited October 2018
    story of a Hammer fan, poor performance against a VERY average team IMO, poor showing & proves Manuel still has plenty of work to do, not impressed...& have 2 agree, get rid of Antonio in Jan he is average personified
  • First half poor finishing and terrible decision making cost us
  • We lost all our momentum as soon as Antonio came on. He shows no desire or passion at all!!
  • Very Pulis-esque performance from Brighton. Glad I don't have to sit through that drivel every week.
  • West Ham being West Ham, anyway.
  • What has happened to Masuaku?? Last season he was all about the step overs and driving into the box but now he seems scared to attack and his strength certainly isn’t his defending!
    I know he’s in a different position now but Zaba seems to get up and down the wing ok. Cresswell has start next game imo.
  • its night like these I wish i had no interest in football!
  • Yeah wouldn’t be happy if I was a Brighton fan watching that negative approach every week.

Sitting back at home to West Ham.
  • Adam said:

So, as Everton stop being our bogey team, a new team emerges...Brighton.

A new bogey team for West Ham? I'm not quite sure about that. Everton ... Brighton ... Camberwick Green Strollers ... the list is possibly endless.

• The defence wide open for murray's goal.We had chances with balbuena and arnie but they defended for their lives.
    I have to agree on antonio,not the same player he was a few seasons ago.
    Another weekend ruined ;angry
  • And hughton saying they rode there luck that’s was poor to me to many players below average after Man United game maybe that was the kick up the bum needed that we can’t just turn up against the teams around us and expect to win I’m sure pelle will get the reaction required
  • Lukerz said:

Yeah wouldn’t be happy if I was a Brighton fan watching that negative approach every week.

Sitting back at home to West Ham.

The result is all that matters & well as we played at times , possibly because they let us, they won and we didn't. Their tactics however negative got them three points. Lots of teams have won leagues on winning games 1-0, I said earlier in the week we don't like playing Brighton on a Friday night. ;weep
  • Thought we played alright, just not consistent enough. We seem to have some beautiful moments of play followed by a meltdown. Need to build on the consistency and we will come good.
  • I actually think we played quite well and that Brighton were incredibly well organised in defence. The scoreline came down to a couple of chances for both sides of which they took one of theirs and we missed our two. We kept looking and asking them questions but they kept finding answers, this might not have been happening in the penalty area and so obvious but they kept defending the whole of their first third very well.

I agree about Antonio as his lack of footballing brain breaks down as many opportunities as he creates. He had a brilliant six month stint for us but has been very ordinary since.

Slightly frustrated that Diop was not going up for that final corner as it was surely a throw everything in the box, he stayed back despite likely being the tallest guy on the pitch. He went into their half but never broached their penalty area. Fabianski should have been up in my view as well.
  • Well Noble thought we did ok but should have got at least a draw. He thinks Brighton are a top side
  • One of those days really where it just wasn’t working for us. No lack of trying, just the final ball wasn’t there. Yarmolenko had a very poor game, and Antonio was awful when he came on.

The one that bothers me is Masuaku. The guy can’t defend, so he at least has to contribute going forward, but offered nothing today whatsoever.
  • He thinks Brighton are a top side

At home they probably are, going on their results.
  • edited October 2018
    We weren’t bad & are clearly vastly improved on the opening month of the season. We had a good style about us, moved the ball well second half & when it came to creating the two clear chances, against a side defending well, we didn’t convert them (Balbuena & Arnie) & that is what it ultimately came down to. Second half was almost total domination from us. First half we didn’t get to grips with the game. But it came down to those moments; Brighton taking advantage of some sloppy play & then poor defending to fashion a chance they converted & us missing our two.

Plenty of positives for me. It was a good reality check as I think a lot has been made of our improvement lately but there is still a long way to go for us. I thought 1-1 would’ve been the right outcome but you can’t say it was daylight robbery either. Just a tough, close PL game which they shaded in the key moments. Thought the back four and midfield played well in general. But when your main three struggle against a side sitting back you will always have a tough job scoring. Those sort of games you either need a Lanzini or Wilshere to link midfield to attack or a Carroll to throw it in the box. In hindsight Pelle will regret throwing on Antonio for Obiang. We had complete control of the midfield before that & Antonio is finished at this level. Offered nothing when he came on.

Missed opportunity as I didn’t think Brighton were anything special but not disastrous. They have a good home record for a reason.
  • It's time for Cresswell to come back in imo.
  • edited October 2018
    2am, in Pellegrino’s bedroom. A light goes on, and Manuel sits up. He reaches for a pad and pencil on the bedside table. Mrs. Pellegrini mumbles sleepily “Manu, switch the light off!” “In a minute, love, I just thought of something I have to do in the morning.” He scribbles on the pad teach the back four to pass to their own players, puts the pad down, turns off the light, and goes back to sleep.
  • Anybody else think that the 'deceiving an official' offence (and thus the possibility of retrospective sanction) should be expanded beyond diving to get a penalty, and should also include 'faking a head injury to get the game stopped'? ;angry
  • I agree. Faking a head injury should be a red card (if it is possible to prove it on the spot) or a two match ban if proven retrospectively
  • I'll tell a story about an incident in my son's game the other week, one of the opposition players tried unsuccessfully to foul our winger & then goes down holding his knee. Our player crosses the ball to our unmarked strikers about eight yards out who is very likely to score. Just at this moment the referee stops the game so the defender who is holding his knee can receive treatment and then proceeds to start the game again with a drop ball on the halfway line. I always understood you only stopped the game for a head injury it would appear from this incident that isn't the case or the referee needs to learn the rules. ;doh
  • Who faked a head injury? Propper got clattered in the melee and was treated for, and substituted for, an ankle injury. The ref stopping the game is what needs looking into.
  • I thought he was holding his head initially might be wrong it’s been known
  • He was initially holding his head. Then when the game stopped he grabbed his foot.

Very poor gamesmanship, IMO.
  • edited October 2018
    He was holding his head ;ok imo he did it knowing the ref would have to stop the game.
This discussion has been closed.