(High) Hopes for the season ahead (2018/19)

Comments

• imagelost said:

Champo

I understand what you are saying, but for me, whilst it is realistic to target a range of league positions (e.g. 8-10th), given that you have 38 games to manage it, I don't see how any team can target a cup run.

Even if the manager decided to play the strongest side available in each round, there are just too many variables.

Why are you against a cup run?
    Where did I say that?
  • Currently I have high hopes for the season ahead, but it really all depends on whether we let people go and who. If Arnie goes I would state that this transfer window would have been another disappointment. If he stays, its been wonderful.

Will see what happens by the start of the season.
  • Totally agree sweepy, but I believe he will want to be a part of this new look West Ham team and maybe prove he’s the main man still, because not having a dig at him because he’s an excellent player who I want to stay but these type of players have a ego and a maverick side it’s what makes them great players and long may he continue with us
  • Agree Cuz. I think Payet partly wanted to leave because we didn't bring in players of a similar calibre, or enough of them. This window is different. I just hope we haven't spent so much knowing that he isn't staying.

I'm assuming though he is staying and we have a brighter future.
  • I know that it is too early to judge all of our new signings and that there is likely to be some outgoings still, but if things stay as they are what is everyone's preferred line up?

I would go for:

-------------Fabianski-------------

Fredericks--Diop--Ogbonna--Cresswell

----------Noble-----Rice-----------

Anderson-----Wilshire-----Yarmolenko

---------------Arnie----------------

Back up team:

-------------Adrian-------------

Zaba---Reid---Balbuena---Masuaku

-------Obiang-----Kouyate-------

Antonio---Fernandez---Hakšabanović

--------------Chico---------------

Obviously Lanzini comes in to the Wilshire role when back fit, so for me the main weak spots left are a DM and either a LB or LW as you could push Masuaku further up the pitch.
  • I have to admit, I am rather looking forward to the start of the season
  • Adrian/Fabianski
    Fredericks/Zabaleta - Diop/Balbuena - Ogbonna/Reid - Cresswell/Masuaku
    Obiang/Fernandes - Noble/Rice - Wilshere/Kouyate
    Anderson/Antonio - Yarmolenko/Snodgrass
    Arnautovic/Hernandez

Decent first & second XI currently, albeit some players are likely to leave.

Pretty optimistic for the opening four games. Hope we can win the two home fixtures whilst giving a good account of ourselves in the two tough away games.
  • Seems Pellegrini is not impressed with the Rush Green facilities and wants an overhaul.
  • Where did you see that, thorn?
  • edited July 2018
    Once again, C+H just copying and pasting from the club site. What's the point?

"Top exclusive Hammers news" lol
  • I thought Rush Green was all new and purpose built after Chadwell Heath.
  • Cheers, Horsham; it didn't come up in my daily search for West Ham news.
  • Yeold I think they did some work on the existing facilities but its not all new . A lot of championship clubs have better facilities than us and ours pale in comparison to Spurs/Man City/Liverpool/Man City etc I like the fact Pellegrini is demanding better and so far the owners have obliged .
  • Yeold,
    It had been upgraded and refurbished but from a low starting point.
  • Really we need a new training complex. A completely new one built from scratch. That would be a show of ambition from the owners to go along with the stadium (which cost very little) and the new players/management. As PLF says at least half the Championship have better facilities than us.
  • at least half the Championship have better facilities than us
    Is that really the case?
  • https://www.mfc.co.uk/club-community/club/rockliffe-park

Not sure about half I know Middlesbrough's put ours to shame
  • Plus Derby, Leeds, Forest, Villa etc
  • OK, Lukerz, so that's 5 from 24 (assuming they are, in fact, better.)

So, perhaps just a hint of exaggeration, then?
  • its not that bad compared to Barca's....

hqdefault

• Is that j Mario or some scousers pinching the goal lol
  • Archive footage of Pep's first coaching session I believe ;whistle
  • Didnt we have this conversation last year,that depsite the move the facilities seemed not good enough

Im all for it, think investing into the infrastructure is always a good idea, while i think a new complex is probably needed soon (and long term probably cheaper option than continued refurbishments) I think it may be a little too much fo ask for this year

If its true (daily mail and that) its another huge plus point with Pellgrinis ambition and similarly with the Daves for not biting back but agreeing to make the improvements
  • edited July 2018

OK, Lukerz, so that's 5 from 24 (assuming they are, in fact, better.)

So, perhaps just a hint of exaggeration, then?

Told you a zillion times I never exaggerate, greyerz.
  • edited July 2018
    Sorry, Lukerz! My bad.

;yercoat
  • Just re-read the mail article and it hardly comes across that he in unimpressed by the training ground.

In essence, that whole article was about us having to make it bigger to accommodate more people.

Not that the facilities aren't good enough. Just that there isn't physically the space for the people who he wants to use it.
  • Moojor tell him my mate as a few portakabins to rent lol
  • I think the fact we have no undersoil heating meaning the players can't train in v cold weather means they are not good enough. A lot of clubs have indoor training pitches aswell have a looks at Spurs training facilities they have a huge indoor facility for training in winter months. Having previously been at Man City and Real Madrid I can imagine our facilities are not that impressive :wink: