West Ham vs Stoke City (H) Match Thread 16.04.2018

Comments

• Really need a win with the games coming up , it would take the pressure off for games against the big boys
  • edited April 2018
    Grey said
    We're currently 7 ahead of them, plus a 15 goal GD, so effectively 8 points clear

That's a good point (npi) Grey, I'd never thought of it that way. ;ok
  • I just hope the Stoke fans give Arnie grief again, as it turned him into even more of a monster in the reverse fixture.
  • We need at last a draw as our remaining games are scary... ;sofa
  • Vorse, our game against Chelski looked scary before last Sunday yet we got a point. Keep the faith mate. ;scarf
  • edited April 2018
    Arsenal have a Semi Final after our game assuming they blitz past CSKA. Southampton almost did them, we have a chance against them I reckon if Wenger plays his reserve side. (which I can see happening with top 4 out of reach almost)

City will probably blitz us whichever string of team they have out, *working on the assumption they get knocked out of the Champions League* . (but a few of their players might be hoping to avoid injury for the world cup)

Man Utd by the time we play them their season will be over anyway with second place maybe all but secured in which case half their players will be trying to avoid injury for the world cup.

Leicester and Everton - Depends if either of them turn up with both of their seasons effectively over already, both are likely to play some bench players to get some experience and you imagine some cries from players who want to go to the world cup asking for a rest or trying to avoid injury.
  • Man U could be in the Cup final.
  • IH

And beat Spurs in the Semi Final! ;whistle
  • Yeold, you have filled me full of confidence with those explanations of how we are going to smash Arsenal and ManU but...

we still gotta beat Stoke ;pray
  • Fortune

Win win. ;lol
  • Momentum Momentum Momentum nice and early.

3 points against the Saints
    1 point against the Blues

If we maintain that kind of momentum it surely means we are looking at

0 points against the Potters

• adecoker said:

Momentum Momentum Momentum nice and early.

3 points against the Saints
    1 point against the Blues

If we maintain that kind of momentum it surely means we are looking at

0 points against the Potters

Relegation, Deal With It ;cool
  • edited April 2018
    Hart
    Rice - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zabaleta - Noble - Kouyate - Mario - Masuaku
    Hernandez
    Arnautovic

Adrian, Evra, Cullen, Fernandes, Lanzini, Carroll, Hugill

Stoke have had a funny old season. I think from an outsider, they look like they just haven't invested over the past few years. Seems like they've had the same squad for the past decade. Adam, Crouch, Shawcross, Pieters, Johnson, Cameron, Ireland. All players in their last match day squad, seem to have been there forever.

Shaqiri and Allen are obviously the stand out players, and Butland is a talented keeper but obviously error prone given his age. Other than those three there isn't a lot there and doing quick maths their 18 against Spurs certainly doesn't add up to anything substantial in terms of money spent on the players. I think we spent more on Arnie than they currently have in the last few windows.

They seem to have improved slightly under Lambert, in the sense that they seem to now avoid getting soundly beaten like they were under Hughes. But they have only won the one game since he was appointed and that was against Huddersfield, who are arguably the worst side in the league squad wise. Given that they play Burnley and Crystal Palace at home, and Swansea away, after us, they will probably be happy with a point on Monday. They probably need 10/11 points from their remaining 5 games to stay up, highly unlikely given their form over 33 games but not impossible. I'm sure they will come to us making noises that they want the three points, but I'm sure deep down Lambert would be happy with 1 and then look to attack the Burnley and Palace home games. A win on the final day at Swansea could then see them survive.

In terms of us, we mustn't lose. A win will all-but confirm our survival. I was interested to see that we have one of the best conversion rates in the league (shots to goals), and without doing a complete analysis I would put that down to Arnie and Hernandez in the main. So it makes sense to go with both of them for this match. But I would play Hernandez slightly deeper, because I think it is important that Arnie occupies the more physical CBs throughout the game, otherwise Hernandez is going to struggle to make an impact.

After beating Huddersfield 2-0, they had 5 games on the spin to salvage their season before the slightly tougher fixtures of City, Everton, Arsenal and Spurs in recent weeks. They played Watford (h), Bournemouth (a), Brighton (h), Leicester (a) and Southampton (a). They took 4 points from 15. I think if we focus on being sound at the back, the smart money is on Arnie demolishing them after 90 mins of abuse from the Potters faithful. But we've see too many home games (Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley) to get complacent.

It's a big weekend for us. Given that we play last. WBA are gone, Southampton play Chelsea and then we play the Potters. Should Chelsea avoid defeat at Saints, it gives us the chance to pull 7/8 clear of Saints and 10 clear of Stoke with a better GD than both. We would be safe IMO.
  • All true, Luke, but as my auntie used to say, "don't count your eggs til they've crossed the road." I shall keep fingers crossed and ;sofa ready. This is West Ham United, after all.
  • Same team as Luke but in a 3-4-1-2 formation with Mario just behind Arnie and Hernandez as out and out strikers. Although I would give Arnie licence to roam as he sees fit. He will destroy them. ;scarf
  • Forgot to say. Hope Putin leaves Stratford alone, at least til after monday. The one small explosive device aimed at the centre circle, just enough to flatten the place and no more. The insurance can pick up the tab and perhaps the re-build will move the seats a bit closer to the pitch. Trump, May, Macron, Putin, Assad and the strange little chap from North Korea will all feel a little bit better about themselves (not sure what the North Korean chap has to do with this but he`s always smiling) and we get a purpose built stadium. Everyone`s a winner.
  • Excellent Madcap the only and best answer to the London Stradium ;ok
  • The thing is though Madcap, knowing our luck, the people rebuilding it will probably move the seats further back than they are now.
  • TMF/CBL/PH Unbelievable! Get over it.

Anyway, back to the theme of this thread (forgive me for such a sin) we win on Monday we go 12th
  • We better win!
    I will be there in BLOCK 124
    ROW 4 Seats 513-515
    ;goal ;goal ;goal
    coyi
  • MNLH get over what?
  • edited April 2018
    deehammer said:

We better win!
    ROW 4 Seats 513-515
    ;goal ;goal ;goal
    coyi

No pressure there then dee ;lol
  • deehammer said:

We better win!
    ROW 4 Seats 513-515
    ;goal ;goal ;goal
    coyi

You need three seats? ;nonono
  • I was going to post that but I'm a gentleman. ;biggrin
  • Let's hope that WBA's win at OT will serve as a reminder that you can't take any game for granted.
  • I should've realized that would happen after I put Lukaku as my fantasy captain ;hmm ;doh
  • Cresswell, Lanzini and Carroll are all in the squad for tonights match, according to Ex, but Collins misses out once again.
  • edited April 2018
    Hart in goal Lukerz?
This discussion has been closed.