Post-transfer discussions (inc is Zab a decent RB/signing)

Comments

• Byram needs an extended, uninjured spell under Moyes guidance and I think he will really kick on IMO
  • edited February 2018
    I think he is easily PL standard:
    Which other teams in the prem would he hold down a starting place in?

4m has got us a player that after trying to develop will be sold for about that if not less. Not bad business, I admit, but being 24 and having a 33-year-old take your place is obvious enough he won't make it.

• edited February 2018
    When Byram’s not injured, he looks lost. He quite often seems to not know what to do when the opposition is running at him and I haven’t seen much in the way of good crossing from what’s supposed to be an attacking full back. I don’t think he was bad business but I don’t think he can be counted in as a genuine RB or RWB option - we need a new one.

Zabaleta has been good but we’ve had no one to replace him with when he needs a rest.
  • I think Byram has been a disappointment, generally. That hasn't been helped by his horrible injury record, but he's nearly 25 and he really hasn't been close to convincing.
  • Interesting to see Byram on as an attacking sub against Watford. Maybe Moyes is playing to his strengths and training him as a winger. I think a goal would boost his confidence and turn him into a useful squad player. 4m was less of a gamble than, say, 30m for Mario next summer.
  • We have been linked with opare from Augsburg on a free a 25 year old right back
  • We're also liked (ExWhuEmployee) with Ryan Fredericks from Fulham, reportedly out of contract in the summer.
  • Did anyone else notice Zab distracting the ref when Marco was subbed on Saturday.

Marco spent ages leaving the pitch as there was much hugging and kissing to be done.

Zab made sure the refs back was turned ;lol
  • Zab has made most league appearances of anyone in the squad at aged 33, he wont get Hammer of the year but for me has put in a Collins like performance this year. I also think of late Ogbonna has been brilliant in taking Reids role and keeping everything organised, at corners he is always marshalling and has really stepped up when needed this year. WE could have missed Reid in the way our attack misses Arnie but Ogbonna had prevented this being the case in my view of late.
  • Fair play to Ogbonna. I never overly rated him but he has been fantastic as the central defender since Moyes has come in. I would say he is even our No.1 CB when normally that would be Reid. I hope Reid regains his form because he has been very average this season which is unlike him.
  • Oggy is our best CB.
  • I though Ogbona was great on Saturday.
  • The Moyes magic touch
  • See that DM player carvhalo scored last night wonder if he’d be worth a punt ?
  • We don't want him that far up the pitch ;whistle
  • For me Collins is still our top centre back (just edging it over Ogbonna). But then once every 6 or 7 games Collins will have a howler. You can usually see it coming though (I.e when he's playing against a quick or nimble striker that can get behind him). When the opposition plays to his strengths though (in the air) i nearly always favour him. For example against Deeney, he won everything bar one header. Ogbonna wins on consistency but overall Collins is the better centre back this season (just).

Re Byram - I think he's never going to be amazing but again if we can play to his strengths (rather than focusing on what he can't do) then he'll be effective. He can make up for his lack of natural ability on the ball with a willingness to make himself available, make forward and promising runs, pressurising defenders (e.g. Sprinting/pressing at pace if it's a 50-50 or if they're slow to control the ball). With the right attitude he could do a job for us without setting the world on fire. I'd much rather him over someone like Edmilson Fernandes. I realise they play in completely different positions but for me they're both of a similar ability. Fernandes is superior on the ball but Byram has a better mentality, passion & willingness which is far more important imo.
  • Would be very surprised to see Fernandes here much longer.
  • Woukd rather fernandes

He impressed me last year, has youth on his side and is out because of injury nit that he isnt fancied
  • I don’t see him being a PL midfielder. Far too lightweight for me.
  • Think he looked lightweight yes but he was just a young lad last season

He's only 21 so still has a chance to fill out

I liked his ability on the ball..and if he can beef up he can be a real asset
  • Fernandes can also shoot, whereas Byram is better in the air. Just sayin..
  • Not the PL, but Spurs are 2-0 down after 9 minutes against Juve.

Shame that.
  • edited February 2018
    ;weep ;weep ;weep
  • Think he is a sell-able asset, and while I do think he could have a future he just isn't the right level compared to what we currently have and we should be looking at upgrading if anything

I think he needs to have first team football, and I think he needs to be a big fish in a little pond, and honestly I don't think he starts for us especially if we persist with a back 5

Good utility/squad player albeit if we prioritise other positions in the summer
  • Personally, I think he is more than capable of playing an effective role for us. I think he’s a good player and always have.

Having said that, he struggled before because we weren’t playing him on the right, and we still don’t play with wingers.
  • Arnautovic wasn't the "right level" under Bilic, maybe Snoddy would be better under Moyes

Although currently he's excellent playing on the right of a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 maybe Moyes's 3-4-3 isn't going to suit him
  • Reckon we'll sell Snoddy to Villa for £6m in the summer
  • To get the best out of him we will have to change the formation...and he isn't exactly that good that we should redo the formation to accommodate him

31 in the summer, big wages, can command a modest fee (not just for Villa but any team being promoted) and probably won't be a starting XI player
  • Was a short term signing. Not needed now. Villa can have him for £6m-£8m.