Post-transfer discussions (inc is Zab a decent RB/signing)

Comments

• Zabaleta is a fantastic right back, we are lucky to have him.
  • edited February 2018
    Disagree I wouldn't say we were lucky at all. He was finished at Man City and we were at the time an attractive proposition as a London Based club with aspirations for Europe in a 57,000 stadium Premier league club. I would have thought we were probably the best option for him.

In my opinion he was lucky that we offered him the chance to continue having regular football at the top flight level.

Cant knock the guy though works hard and try's his best and seems to care.
  • I think he is targeted because he looks 45 rather than 32/33. 90% of footballers would be finished at Man City these days, he is the best right back I have seen (at west ham) since Lucas Neill. I also think he is a very decent midfielder.
  • He’s well past his prime but to be fair he is one of those who doesn’t get injured and seems to look after himself well. Whether that is down to him or how he was looked after at Man City, who knows..
  • It beggars belief that Sullivan is saying he bid 25m on deadline day for Allan .
    Why does he do this it’s embarrassing for West Ham and the fans .
  • Who said he bid that on the last day?
  • edited February 2018
    I can't see either anywhere he said the bid was on the last day. I thought they bid for him early on in the window.
  • The problem with Zabaleta is Sam Byram.
  • Dendonker himself has said West Ham would have been an idea "next step" in his career but he knew there was no way Anderlecht would let him leave mid season having already not allowed him to leave last summer.
  • I would have preffered that defoule from Barcelona than Mario
  • I think Mario has been good for us, so far
  • 2 different players

Mario is more of a creator/CM whereas Deulofeu is a winger who likes to go 1 vs 1

I would take Deulofeu but I think that Mario has been good
  • Deulofeu would be a more direct replacement for Lanzini and could cover Antonio
  • I'd say he's an attacker similar to Antonio, Arnie & Lanzini whereas Mario is more of a midfielder in the mould of Lanzini & Noble

Think we need a CM more than an attacker

As I said I'd have taken both
  • edited February 2018
    I’d be well chuffed if we signed him in the summer
  • So who’s place did the DM we didn’t sign take in today’s line up?
  • Think Mario lacks a bit of pace. He looks fast, but doesn’t have that burst I expect to come. Very good player though.
  • Mario looks very good to me. Particularly like his link up play between the defence and attack. Exactly what he is meant to do in that position I guess!
  • That is my fear Ham.

Interestingly (for some) , Ex has said this morning that we're apparently close to agreeing a deal for Fulham's right back, which is out of contract in the summer and who is "top of our list".

Now, given that a lot of fans believe we have a need for a top quality DM, and our 'pursuit' of Carvalho and Dendoncker suggests the board agree, if a free Championship full back is out No1 target then questions may well be asked.
  • If a player's contract is up in the summer, he can agree a deal now.

Moving early, and not leaving things to the last minute is what a great many fans have been vociferously urging.. so this would be a good thing, yeah?
  • Top of our list because we can negotiate with him now, is different to top of our list for the entire summer, imo. Also could mean top of our list for that position.
  • Yes Mrs G, it would be a good thing. He's a good player and could be our No1 right back for a number of years.

However, my point is that if he is our top target, i.e. the player that we need the most and have prioritised above all others, then I personally would be a bit worried.
  • OCS

But that is an interpretation, based on a choice of words from no one associated with the club.

Honestly, I don't see the point in 'borrowing' things to worry about.

I'd be worried if we sold Arnie, Manu, Antonio and Adrian, and replaced them with League 1 players.

However, I won't worry about it until it happens.
  • edited February 2018
    Grey, I'm not worrying. Hence why I said I would be worried if Fredericks was our top target.

I'm aware that what's been said is from a Twitter ITK. I'm not naive enough to believe that his word is gospel. All I'm saying is that if it was true, then I would be worried that the extent of our ambition stretches to a (albeit) good Championship right back.
  • edited February 2018
    OK, OCS, but it still feels like borrowing trouble to me.
  • alderz said:

Top of our list because we can negotiate with him now, is different to top of our list for the entire summer, imo. Also could mean top of our list for that position.

It absolutely could mean that. Which is why I caveated my post with 'if'.
  • Fredericks would be a good signing especially if we persist with a back 3 as he has bundles of energy and pace, perfect for a wingback role

Would think that this may perhaps shift Byram out the door though unless Moyes or whoever is in charge wants to change Zabaletas position

I like Byram but never feel confident when he's on the pitch, he's a bit too rash especially in the tackle. Also think his continuing struggles with injury is a bit of a worry

Interesting to see what happens
  • Byram was never rated highly by Leeds fans, my mate was shocked we paid what we did for him. He steals a living in the prem as he excels in nothing, and is average at the basics. I think he would be more suited to a Steve Lomas job than out on the right.
  • I disagree, IBL.

I think he is easily PL standard.

Probably more suited to RWB than RB, but I can't see how £4m for him can be seen as anything other than decent business.
  • They were shocked to get £3.7m? Perhaps we should have taken him off their hands on a free.