Watford (H) Match Thread 10.02.18 15:00

Comments

• Bizarrely a three man panel of ex match officials couldn't agree unanimously that it was a red card offence. Sounds about right to me seeing as there's no consistency between referees at matches as we all well know.
    Little wonder why refs are treated with so little respect when three of them can't agree on the laws of the game.
  • Deeny gets a warning. Poch tells his players to dive - nothing. Kane dives nothing. Ali dives - yellow card, big deal.

It does make you, well me, wonder.
  • Isn't there a precedent though? Didn't Alli get a ban for the same thing? ;hmm
  • Can we please go back to 3 4 1 2 and give up on 3 5 1 1. We even defend better with 2 up top as it is harder for the opposition to play the ball out of their defence. And Byram will give us more than Zab going forward at home.

Adrian
    Collins Reid Ogbonna
    Byram Noble Kouyate Cresswell
    Mario
    Antonio Hernandez

• I have changed my team to include Evra at full back. But harsh in Creswell, but I love a new signing.
  • I'm with Alderz on this, I personally believe that Antonio's best postion is RWB. He was horribly exposed as a RB, but is nowhere near as vulnerable as a wingback. I think he should look at how successful Moses was at Chelsea last season, especially considering he was behind Antonio at the end of the previous season. Wingback still lets you get forward, and would enable him to crop up at the far post more easily if there are other forward players already in the box.

Imo Antonio just hasn't got the skill or inteligence to play up top, he's also not quite on the same wavelength as Lanzini and Arnie. However, if you give him an attacking license from wingback I think you'll see the best of him.

I'm all in favour of a 3-4-1-2 that we played late 90's, with neither of the wingbacks being a full back. Antonio one side, possibly Masuaku the other is not far off imo.
  • I don’t really see why Antonio can’t do it if Masuaku can. The latter might have a bit more defensive ability,though he’s not that great as a left back either, but he’s also got more polish on his attacking technique when it comes to thing like dribbling and touch. He’s been able to mostly attack and even Cresswell has been able to get Up and support him.

Antonio at RWB is how we get our best players into positions where they can impact the game. There might be an argument for Antonio being better as a winger but if we’re not really playing with wingers then what do we do with him? He might be better at attacking than defending but he’s also better out wide than through the middle.
  • The fact we have been playing with 3 defence minded central midfielders recently means we should be well stocked enough to let the wingbacks loose. Even with two we should be fine.

A midfield of Antonio - Noble - Kouyate - Masuaku with the central two holding their position means we would have 5 defence minded players to cover for them. I think that is a good balance, personally.

I would LOVE to see us try:

Adrian; Reid Ogbonna Cresswell; Antonio Noble Kouyate Masuaku; Lanzini; Arnie Hernandez
  • edited February 2018
    The issue with Antonio is exactly what he offers us as a side. I don’t think he has the maturity or intelligence to play RB/RWB, two positions I think he would excel in with the right mentality. If we had a quality holding midfielder who covered for his forward bursts, there’s no reason he can’t be a natural full-back.

But the issue for me is he lacks the intelligence and technique to play in many positions consistently. His pace and unpredictablenees will cause teams problems if he plays up top, but I don’t think he’s capable of a run of games as a forward. I don’t think he has the defensive understanding to play as a winger either. I don’t think you’d see him helping out the RB often. He’s made it clear RB isn’t for him.

So where does he play? Long term?
  • But we don't play with fullbacks, so it doesn't matter whether he can play at RB or not. I think he isn't capable of playing as a fullback in a 4.

I think if we don't play with a RW then he is made for RWB.
  • I didn’t realise this but we haven’t actually kept a clean sheet for 8 PL games now. Last time was the 3-0 win away to Stoke.
  • Merse makes it 2-0 us and Lawro 1-0 us. ;sofa
  • So that’s got 0-0 all over it ;whistle
  • Merse makes it 2-0 us and Lawro 1-0 us. ;sofa

As Lawro always seems to get it wrong, I am not confident with his prediction. ;doh
  • edited February 2018
    Arnie’s been training all week so hopefully Moyes will confirm today he’s in the squad. ;pray

Could really do with 3 points here. That leaves us with 8 to get from the remaining 11. Should be possible.

So:

Adrian
    Collins - Ogbonna - Reid
    Zabaleta - Mario - Noble - Kouyate - Cresswell
    Antonio - Chicharito

Hart, Fonte, Byram, Rice, Haksabanovic, Arnautovic, Hugill

Could give us a bit more off the bench.
  • edited February 2018
    Moyes says he’s considering throwing Evra straight in as he is relatively fit after following a regime with his coach for the last few months. ;hmm

Adrian
    Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zabaleta - Kouyate - Noble - Mario - Evra
    Antonio
    Chicharito

;hmm
  • but he hasn’t played a competitive game in months?? ;hmm
  • Moyes said last week that Fonte needed practice games .now hes said the same thing what have they been doing all week .you would think he would have had one or two in the last 7 days
  • Think given his age it may be Evra at LCB and Cresswell at LWB

Will be good to see Arnie back on the bench, we miss him so much

Hope we don't start with the same XI as the last 2 games.....it's too defensive

Watford will match our formation with a back 3 so can see the teams cancelling each other out
  • I've got my ticket coyi
  • Big. Fat. Loss.

Feeling confident ;ok
  • Please be Arnie, Antonio and Jordan upfront. James Collins to be the playmaker.
  • Ex says couple of changes to the team selection, making the side more offensive. I would expect no Zabaleta in midfield. He also says Arnie is back in the squad and Evra is on the bench. One player starting is determined by a late fitness test. ;hmm
  • edited February 2018
    Given the other fixtures, today is massive, because by the end of the weekend, if it goes badly, we could be within a point of the bottom 3 with Liverpool away next. Really important we win today. But I’m worried about the pace of Watford and the technical skills they have. Let’s hope they have an off day today.

Stoke v Brighton
    Swansea v Burnley
    Huddersfield v Bournemouth

So a chance that Swansea and Huddersfield could take 3 points and then somebody is going to take something from the Stoke game.
  • edited February 2018
    My sister did a tarot reading for me on the result today for the first time. I don’t normally believe in it but have always been nervous over the area. She is very into it.

In the words of hamstew...
  • edited February 2018
    With respect to your sister, I believe tarot to be absolute bunkum.

However, in this instance, I believe her to be right.

In the words of Yeold... ;cool
  • edited February 2018
    My tea leaves, when I chucked 'em in the bin, spelled out 'a glorious win, and we won't be looking down again for the rest of the season #IronsIronsIrons'.

(This may or may not be true.)
  • My horoscope told me that unless we lose or draw this, we’re almost certain to win.
This discussion has been closed.