The relegation battle - get out of my league!

Comments

• Grey

I don’t think I was clear. My point wasn’t about how much we need to get if we have 35 points with 8 games to go. It should have read ‘we would ONLY need a handful of points from those games’, i.e. maybe 4 points - I feel like 39 points to be definitely safe.

My point was more of if we don’t get 9 points from the next 6 games, i.e. maybe 5 points, then we are in real trouble since I can only see us getting maybe a maximum of 6 points from the last 8 games. The next 6 games are so, so crucial for us.
  • edited January 2018
    Adam ;ok

I'd be very surprised if we couldn't get 4 wins from our last 14 games, and even more surprised if 38 didn't keep a team up.
  • I was very confident before the news about Arnie and Lanzini. That’s our top scorer and best player home for the most crucial set of fixtures in the remainder of our season.

Shame we’ve dropped a few points in games late on (Burnley away, Palace away, Bournemouth away, Spurs away etc). That’s an extra 8 points and we’d be on 34 and safe.

I think Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield are the ones on the decline. But you could look at all the other teams and say ‘I can’t see them going down’.

We are going to struggle big time over the next few weeks. Make no mistake. It’s not going to be pretty with only Hernandez and Ayew to select as attacking options. I’d be happy to be on 30 points by end of Feb.
  • We beat Chelsea and drew with Spurs and Arsenal of the top 6 so I go into them with some hope.
  • https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/form/matches:6/type:home-and-away

If we assume that Burnley are gonna at least get 6 points in their next 14 games then it makes for interesting reading this....Huddersfield are flying down, and so are brighton... interesting to see how bad form Watford (same points as us) and Everton (only 2 pts ahead) have been. Just goes to show how tight it is down there

From 20th to 9th there is only 8 points....

I agree with Luke though, without Lanzini + Arnie it looks a lot more dangerous for us...we really need to add some quality to the team as by the time they come back we may well be right in the mix
  • Like beating Chelsea and so on
    And losing to Brighton 3 nil
    Who knows ,,, gottto get stuck in and try,, and hopefully win ;cheers
  • Lukerz said:

I was very confident before the news about Arnie and Lanzini. That’s our top scorer and best player home for the most crucial set of fixtures in the remainder of our season.

This. My whole perspective has changed. We have zero creativity now. I’m not exactly sure how we’ll get wins without our two main attacking threats. Ayew can get goals but isn’t massively creative. Antonio could help us in attack but we’ll probably resort to having to use him too much, too early - potentially resulting in another injury.

I just hope we can get a sneak a couple of wins 1-0.
  • A week ago I also was very confident, confident that West Ham would so engineer it that I would once again have that familiar scary feeling running through my veins.

We will do this and wriggle our way to safety, but we never make it easy or comfortable for ourselves.

Now THAT is the West Ham way ;wink
  • Capture

Not a great deal of change after the latest round of matches. We remain 4 clear of 18th, and have the 2nd best 'last 6' form.

I've added in the Last 10 games form to get a clearer idea of where teams are heading.

Bournemouth head out of the bottom half, making way for Watford, who seem to be in free fall, taking just 2 points in the last 6 games, the same as Huddersfield.

Brighton have the third worst last 6 record, taking just 3 points.

It's worth noting that outside the games with the top 6 (and Swansea and Bournemouth have shown that there are no certainties) teams in the bottom 10 will mostly be playing each other.

• Capture

It's worth noting that outside the games with the top 6 (and Swansea and Bournemouth have shown that there are no certainties) teams in the bottom 10 will mostly be playing each other.

Except for any games with the remaining four teams?
  • shf

Well, yeah, hence 'mostly'. And that should be 3, really, since B'mouth in 10th are just a point ahead of us.

Frankly, I couldn't be bothered to go through and check each team's set of fixtures, but if you want to do a list...
  • so 12 games left 5 against the top 6 that leaves 7 ,so we have to win 4 out of those 7 ,just hope man city have won the title by the time they come calling .I do think we might need 39 points
  • Swansea have lost fer and bony for the rest of the season big loss for them
  • But they have got ayew to come back
  • Well if what a lot of posters on here reckon is true he won't offer them anything.
  • thorn

Not sure too may people said he was 'just no good'.

He was never really any good for us, and I don't think there was any value in us keeping him, but I'm pretty sure he can still impact games.
  • This season Ayew scored 3 in 18 Premier League appearances, 9 starts and 9 subs. He might do better with Swansea but he wasn't doing the business for us..
  • Problem is see is the (so called) smaller clubs having a lot more desire. We have quite a few players who seem not to care less.
  • Cresswell has said "we didn't react well to going behind again". My question is why not as it should be a normal reaction especially for professionals.
  • edited February 2018

Cresswell has said "we didn't react well to going behind again". My question is why not as it should be a normal reaction especially for professionals.

Depend what he means by reacting well. If he means getting the upper hand and going on to win... well, if only it was so easy, thorn.

• From what he said I think he meant that they virtually didn't react at all. He said they didn't look like scoring in the second half and just didn't react.
  • IronHerb said:

Who ibl?

Pretty much the entire team yesterday. The have the attitude of doing what’s asked of them, rather than giving their all.

• Disagree, totally disagree. Adrian, Ginge, Noble and others? I don't think so.
  • They were all half asleep yesterday.
  • Ginge is a warrior and we could do with more with his attitude BUT yesterday he didn't cover himself in glory.
  • There's not playing well, yesterday, and not caring less.
  • I would give Ginge a 4 year co react if I was in charge, he had one of his mild games and doesn’t take the game by the horns, no one does, that’s the issue. Too many players go through the motions
  • I predicted a loss but very pleased to be wrong.

Arnautovic makes such a big difference to this team. Glad to have him back, and with Hernandez in form and Antonio and Lanzini coming back, we should have enough attacking quality to get the points to stay up.

Well done team, and well done Moyes ;clap

you hope so but our games left leaves it still a hard task. 5 of our last 11 are against the Top 6. then 3 more of those games are against teams above us Leicester / Burnley / Everton. 3 against Swansea / Southampton / Stoke. 2 of those at home 1 away. You would hope that we win those 2 homes games.
  • That's what I'm looking at Yeold, Stoke and Southampton. Six points from those two.

Then even a point from Burnley and Swansea should see us safe with 38, and anything else along the way would be a bonus.

Won't be easy, but with our front four fit and firing we should be ok.
This discussion has been closed.