Why Aye Man - Newcastle H Match Thread 23.12.17 15:00

So I noticed none of you could be bothered to take up the match thread baton following my cup loss on Tuesday.

Tsk tsk

So its the Barcodes at home on Saturday - a game we should win - and we all know what happens under those circumstances.

;scarf

Comments

• I thought it was decided that you had this one too as it was a league game.

So don't naff it up and let us get beat ;biggrin
  • ;hmm was it...

Oh ok...

• edited December 2017
    A win puts us on 19 games - 20 points. (just about survival status) which overall is disappointing for where we want to be at the half way stage, but is decent in terms of where we was.

Certainly hoping for a x100 better performance here than our last game vs Newcastle....

Lanzini being suspended is a big miss, am hoping Hernandez can fill the void though. Which may mean Antonio being pushed out wide again in favour of Hernandez playing more central.

Adrian

Reid Ogbonna Cresswell

Zab Noble Obiang Masuaku

Antonio Hernandez Arnie
  • Can't argue with that line up Yelod although will Noble be fit?... ;ok ;scarf
  • edited December 2017
    Adrian
    Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zabaleta - Rice - Obiang - Masuaku
    Antonio - Ayew
    Arnautovic

For me, Chicharito has been a big disappointment. Don’t think he has shown anything in his games to suggest he should automatically come in. Arnie is in great form and for me continues as a striker. Noble out for Rice if not fit (which looks likely). Ayew was our brightest light in the early days and deserves to make his case after patiently waiting on the bench. Then we have Sakho, Carroll and Hernandez from the bench if we need more firepower.
  • About as good as it gets Yeold, although I would have Arnie in the Lanzini role just behind Antonio and Hernandez. A 3-4-1-2. Think we look a bit better with a proper front two, and Arnie is a good enough footballer to play the number 10 role.
  • I don't think Hernandez is a natural replacement for Lanzini and would not want his inclusion to change were Antonio plays.

I'd prefer to see Ayew.
  • I think the opposite I think Hernandez has the tools in the locker to be that natural replacement. I think its down to whether Hernandez is willing to put the mileage in to be all over the pitch to do the link ups.

I don't think Hernandez has been brilliant but he is our top scorer I believe despite missing a few a games.
  • Arnie, Antonio and Lanzini have been an effective combination up front, rather than shuffling them around to suit another player it makes more sense to play someone who can deputise for Lanzini

Ayew rather than Hernandez
  • I`m not sure Ayew is a good enough footballer for the Lanzini role, but I think Arnie is, but on the other hand Ayew could just replace Lanzini and leave everything else as is. ;hmm
  • Lukerz said:

Adrian
    Zabaleta - Rice - Obiang - Masuaku
    Antonio - Ayew
    Arnautovic

For me, Chicharito has been a big disappointment. Don’t think he has shown anything in his games to suggest he should automatically come in. Arnie is in great form and for me continues as a striker. Noble out for Rice if not fit (which looks likely). Ayew was our brightest light in the early days and deserves to make his case after patiently waiting on the bench. Then we have Sakho, Carroll and Hernandez from the bench if we need more firepower.

I can see your reasoning for that line up Lukerz. However id argue if Hernandez had Antonio and Arnautovic behind him he'd get a lot more chances.

As for Sakho, wouldn't have him in the squad. His attitude is appalling
  • I don't think Ayew does sufficient to cover for Lanzini. Lanzini puts in a shift, something Ayew has yet to do.
  • Is noble back for this? If he is i think he starts and if not go then bring in rice

I think most of the team picks itself for me

Adrian
    Zaba - Obiang - Noble - Masuaka
    Antonio - Arnautovic - Ayew

Only questions for me is Ayew vs Hernandez

I want to see Ayew because Arnautoivc and Antonio are doing so well up top and Ayew is more like for like for Lanzini

Think having cresswell at centre back gives us more control and ability o play out from the back (which we lacked vs Arsenal)

Newcastle arent as good as the recent competition so we would have more of the bal lbut we are still more dangerous on the break so might as well keep it going
  • Well I was going to furniture village sale on Boxing Day, but I think I will me free one instead ;whistle
  • I am from Essex and I get a decent view of most games from my couch as well, it also comes with air con and a guaranteed seat, mind you if we have the early kick off, I have to make my own bacon sarnies

;ok
  • Thanks Vorse , just booked a seat on the coach , very timely as Anglia trains are all mucked up on Saturday . ;ok
  • This will be a tough match and in a way a real test of just how much of a difference Moyes has and is capable of making, as for me they did not just beat us comfortably but Benitez really made his experience tell and got his team and tactics just right. I remember them really getting at our full backs and always pouncing on Rice every time he got the ball to put him under pressure.

I hope we will play on the counter even though at home as I think it works well to draw teams onto us as we need their midfield pressing to make the space to attack as to be quite honest I think we are anything but prolific in attack and need the extra space. lanzini is a big miss as he is our best ball player by a mile.

Make no mistake however three points here is even bigger than Stoke as it really puts Newcastle into a relegation fight as they also play Man City on the 27th so really need something from our match.

Three points please David
  • Leaping
    coyi
  • Newcastle are already in a relegation fight as their last 9 games indicate -
    P9, W0, D1, L8.
  • Noble probably out of game, Antonio touch and go with his calf strain , but Cheikh fit again...
    All this info from the ES ..
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/david-moyes-i-put-diafra-sakho-on-the-west-ham-bench-purely-for-football-reasons-a3725661.html
  • Ok, so

Adrian
    Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
    Zaba Obiang Rice Kouyate Masuaku
    Sakho Arnautovic

Hart, Collins, Quina, Haksabanovic, Ayew, Hernandez, Carroll

;hmm
  • Kouyate in for Noble
    Hernandez in for Lanzini
    Ayew in for Antonio
  • So Kouyate will probably come in for Noble and then it’s whether we go Carroll, Sakho, Chicharito or Ayew for Antonio.
  • IronHerb said:

. Lanzini puts in a shift, something Ayew has yet to do.

I was a bit taken aback to read this. It's not how I think of Ayew at all ;hmm
  • Not sure I understand what you mean by that Mrs G.
  • If we win it may help newcastle put in a 20 million offer for Carroll who has not delivered this season when available.
  • One of the big mistakes in the alter part of the Bilic era was to play players in positions that they were not really accustomed to, or giving them a role that they could not perform. Good examples are playing Ayew or Hernandez as sole strikers or even as the main strikers, Fernandez as a defender, Ayew as a midfielder, etc. With this in mind I would like to see Quina in the Lanzini role. It is a straight swap and he should know that role.

Adrian
    Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
    Zabaletta Kouyate Obiang Masuaku
    Quina
    Arnautovic Sakho
  • He should know that role but he didnt seem up to it on Tuesday.

Id have Rice and Peas in for Noble and Lanzini.
This discussion has been closed.