Covid19: The Football Thread

edited March 2020 in Football Chatter
Just setting up a dedicated thread for this ongoing discussion. Will pull relevant comments over from their various other places.

Comments

• From BBC:

"Manchester City's Premier League match with Arsenal, which was scheduled for Wednesday night, has been postponed as a "precautionary measure" and several Gunners players are in self-isolation after Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis contracted coronavirus.
    Arsenal say Marinakis, 52, met a number of their players when the Gunners hosted the Greek side in a Europa League match two weeks ago."

So, following this logic, West Ham were exposed to coronavirus on Saturday and since Wolves want their game with Olympiakos called off won't Sunday's fixture also be called off? :hmm:
  • Probably not, unless one of the Arsenal players turns out to have had the virus at the time of our game.
  • I'm more surprised that the game was postponed - surely Arsenal could have put out a team even with some players being now unavailable? Unless too many are affected.
  • Arsenal wanted their game called off but Olympiakos haven’t requested it and I’m sure they’ve been more exposed than Arsenal. I expect his contact with the arsenal players was a matter of seconds.
    As far as I can tell from the statements none of the arsenal players have so far shown any symptoms of anything at all.
  • Olympiakos players have been tested and results are negative.
  • Surely we'll have to self isolate now Arteta has tested positive.

Game to be postponed imo
  • Arteta has tested positive so maybe Moyes and our players may need to self isolate and the game could be off.
  • All games will be postponed, IMO.
  • Season cancelled, we stay up, Liverpool don’t win the league
  • alderz said:

Season cancelled, we stay up, Liverpool don’t win the league

Palace relegated because they are palace.
  • Hudson-Odoi has tested positive. All of the Chelsea first-team squad now self-isolating.

Void the season. We stay up. We keep Bowen and Soucek. Liverpool don't win the league. Leeds stay in the Championship.

I can't see a single downside...
  • Arteta tests positive for Covid-19, Brighton v Arsenal postponed.

The Premier League are to hold an emergency meeting today to discuss whether they should suspend the season.

If they do would they award Liverpool the title or declare the season null and void? Imagine the looks on all those Scousers faces if they didn't win!

And what about relegation? Potentially a lot of happy faces in Norwich and Birmingham.
  • On the downside no football until the Euros in June and they might be cancelled too.

Maybe no football until August! 20 empty weekends.

Too ghastly to contemplate.
  • edited March 2020
    I actually can't see anything happening than them voiding the season if it gets worse. It may seem crazy but they think it's only going to get worse and will go through the summer. As someone just said on twitter where do West ham actually play their home games in the summer when its home to a whole host of events.
  • Liverpool players washing their hands every five minutes.

Norwich players licking every door handle they can find.
  • Very good point that, Ham.

I keep reading that the Euros will be played in 2021 allowing the domestic leagues to be completed in the summer, but the whole point of the delay phase is to push the peak of the outbreak to the summer, so if games are getting canned now, surely during the peak they will be even less likely to go ahead :hmm:
  • But if the season is voided, I assume Man City's League Cup win is scrapped :hmm:
  • I think that will stand. However I can’t see any logical solution other than to void the rest of the season as to postpone matches here and there for weeks on end will cause so many problems. It’s going to affect all clubs at some point but not all at the same time so we could end up with one or two clubs having about 6 matches to play and needing to win them all to survive.
    Given that there is still a quarter of the season to go, league wise there is nothing decided apart from Liverpool’s title which is pretty well nailed on. Therefore no club can say that they’ve been denied promotion etc or luckily avoided relegation because anything could have happened between now and season end.
    The most important thing is we would be safe!!!!!!!
  • we're not even at the peak of the pandemic. Its only going to get worse. 2 weeks from now the situation will be a lot worse. Unless they self isolate everyone for 2 weeks+ then play behind closed doors the rest of the season and run into May / June
  • Logically you imagine they just straight up cancel Euro 2020 instead of postpone it till 2021 allowing the leagues to play out over the summer behind closed doors. Or they scrap the Nations League finals.
  • edited March 2020
    Premier League suspended until 3rd April.

FA have cancelled the two international friendlies against Italy (27 March) and Denmark (31 March).

Its going to be a long three weeks...
  • Just send the bottom 3 down and lets be done with it , :biggrin: of course villa does have that game in hand so give them 3 points and send watford down :biggrin:
  • Premier League and EFL suspended until 3 April at earliest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867989

• edited March 2020
    Three weeks won't be enough. The situation will be worse by then, so there'll just be another postponement in April.

Seems rather short-sighted, IMO.
  • Arteta tests positive for Covid-19, Brighton v Arsenal postponed.

The Premier League are to hold an emergency meeting today to discuss whether they should suspend the season.

If they do would they award Liverpool the title or declare the season null and void? Imagine the looks on all those Scousers faces if they didn't win!

And what about relegation? Potentially a lot of happy faces in Norwich and Birmingham.

This... please this :pray:
  • edited March 2020
    The situation is changing hourly.

If they have to extend the postponement, so be it.

It's not going to get any better until the good weather arrives.

I guess we will just have to declare this season null and void. :biggrin:
  • edited March 2020
    Whilst I fully appreciated safeguarding everyone's health is only factor we should be considering here. Can I just mention now our game v Tottenham is going to be delayed won't that mean HRH Harry & his sidekick Son will be available to play against us? Another bit of irony we might be hoping "our friends" in the north, the blades, get something v Aston Villa to help us stay up! :puzzled:
  • So it they viod the season do they not promote / relegate teams ?? seems like a few court cases would be coming in that event can 't see West Brom Leeds being happy if that happens or teams in the bottom 3 either same for all the other league
  • edited March 2020

So it they viod the season do they not promote / relegate teams ?? seems like a few court cases would be coming in that event can 't see West Brom Leeds being happy if that happens or teams in the bottom 3 either same for all the other league

Yep image
  • I can’t see them voiding the season. They’ll put the teams in self isolation and once everyone is given the all clear, finish the season playing behind closed doors.