The Owners - The Good, The Bad and The ITK.

Comments

• Afternoon all, very long time since last here.......anyone still prepared to support GSB? Can anyone find one thing that they “promised” us about the move that’s actually a reality?

:wave:
  • Afternoon all, very long time since last here.......anyone still prepared to support GSB? Can anyone find one thing that they “promised” us about the move that’s actually a reality?

:wave:
    :wave: me too
  • I agree with a lot of that Buffy, their big issue was they needed a promise to sell the move and sold it on our progression to the next level which they haven't delivered. What is clear is they recognise when a manager cant deliver but they also need recognise when they cant deliver and move on.

I don't buy that they are only in it for the money as I feel they would love to deliver success but unfortunately don't have the ability or money to do so from the ten years or so of evidence so far.
  • edited January 2020
    I do wonder if the die hards that go every week will just stop going in then end. Also I won't be going back until all this blows over as there was definitely an air of the Burnley situation brewing yesterday.
  • I've been relegated to an arm chair fan due to moving away from Elm Park and just not being able to go to matches.
    But I have come to realise, that I just don't care about "this" West Ham. To me, this isn't my West Ham. Maybe it's because I can't go to games any more, but when I think on it, it's the little and maybe not so little changes that have made me lose interest.
    The badge and the stadium don't mean anything to me any more, they don't invoke the memories I have of going to Upton Park.
    They are just corporate logos and another ground. I don't feel anything for our manager, very little for the random players that seem to join, spouting the same old "so glad to be here" etc etc.
  • edited January 2020
    alderz said:

Who’s to say they aren’t saying all those things to their parents and not being listened to?

That would also be worrying. If they plan to hand over the club to people whose decision-making they don't put faith into.

Especially in the case of Gold's daughter, who should probably be an executive already to prepare for the role, in something like Brady's position.
  • Moojor said:

I've been relegated to an arm chair fan due to moving away from Elm Park and just not being able to go to matches.
    But I have come to realise, that I just don't care about "this" West Ham. To me, this isn't my West Ham. Maybe it's because I can't go to games any more, but when I think on it, it's the little and maybe not so little changes that have made me lose interest.
    The badge and the stadium don't mean anything to me any more, they don't invoke the memories I have of going to Upton Park.
    They are just corporate logos and another ground. I don't feel anything for our manager, very little for the random players that seem to join, spouting the same old "so glad to be here" etc etc.

I confess,, I don’t care anymore
  • I had to go out last week when we played Leicester. For the first time in years and years I got home and thought “you know what I can’t be bothered to check how many we lost by” because I knew we would but I wouldn’t let them spoil the rest of my evening. I finally checked the result in the late morning next day and just turned off my iPad after checking.,I suddenly thought I just couldn’t care less any more and I’ve supported this club since 1964.
    They have simply broken my heart and I hate the owners and most of the players with a passion. How sad am I?
  • Giant your not sad at all.

Myself and my daughters had season tickets for years at the Boleyn and we loved it. We used to sit with Osman who owned the fish and chip shop by the station and whatever the result we had a laugh and felt at home. The football wasn’t great all the time but the ground had a good feel and atmosphere , it was West Ham!!!
    I went to the new ground for the first season but just didn’t and don’t like it. I go occasionally now because I love football.
    The football on the whole has been pretty dire at the new stadium and I don’t really get excited by any of our players now.
    I think I am angry because whatever our owners say they are the ones who are responsible for killing a lot of supporters passion and love for the club. I know many fans who feel the same way.

• I started supporting West Ham because you could feel what was happening in the game by standing in my back garden. This stadium is so far removed from anyone, that no no kid will really ever get that experience again.
  • Outcast, I was saying exactly this to my other half yesterday. Forget the football for a second, the all round match day experience and feeling of community has, IMO, died since the move. In my experience, the atmosphere in and around Upton Park was a thousand times better than what you get at the OS now.
  • Agreed.

One of the main reasons I no longer go.
  • But wasn't it said that there would eventually have been structural problems with the stands at Upton Park and from an engineering/architectural point of view it wasn't practical to consider expanding it to accommodate the extra 10-20 thousand extra fans that G&S wanted.
    I seem to remember reading that somewhere, maybe on here.

• But wasn't it said that there would eventually have been structural problems with the stands at Upton Park and from an engineering/architectural point of view it wasn't practical to consider expanding it to accommodate the extra 10-20 thousand extra fans that G&S wanted.
    I seem to remember reading that somewhere, maybe on here.

Probably something the double D's said.
  • edited January 2020
    Bubbles

From what I remember.

There was an issue with the road that ran behind the East Stand, if we extended over it buses could not get through. (I was told this at a fan forum before the DDs took over & before the Olympics were confirmed for London).

The BM was full of rust and would need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

But non of it was insurmountable.

• edited January 2020
    So basically there would have been repairs replacements needed like any other structure does over time. Although how old was the BM stand?
  • edited January 2020
    A quick Google search said it was built in 1993.
  • edited January 2020
    From Wiki:
    Sir Trevor Brooking Stand built 1995
    Bobby Moore Stand built 1993
    East Stand built 1969
    The West Stand built 2001

Why was the BM stand full of rust if it was only 23 years old?
  • Yeah that's what got me thinking after I started writing.
  • Just seen that Big Sam has been on Talk Sport and has had a little dig at Sullivan. Basically saying that he would turn up for pre-season training and there'd be a new player there, usually a striker, that he wasn't aware we'd signed. Then when he turned out to be rubbish, Sullivan would blame the coaching.

I get that Sam would perhaps have some bitterness towards the board, but would anyone be surprised if this was true?
  • edited January 2020

There was an issue with the road that ran behind the East Stand, if we extended over it buses could not get through. (I was told this at a fan forum before the DDs took over & before the Olympics were confirmed for London).

That was no longer an issue, after West Ham bus garage opened in November 2009 the old Upton Park garage was surplus to requirement and closed in September 2011.

Regardless we were granted planning permission to rebuild the east stand in 1999 and again in 2006, there was no reason we couldn't reapply.
  • There was an issue with the road that ran behind the East Stand, if we extended over it buses could not get through. (I was told this at a fan forum before the DDs took over & before the Olympics were confirmed for London).

That was no longer an issue, after West Ham bus garage opened in November 2009 the old Upton Park garage was surplus to requirement and closed in September 2011.

Regardless we were granted planning permission to rebuild the east stand in 1999 and again in 2006, there was no reason we couldn't reapply.
    Well, there was one reason. About 5ft tall. Dubious past. Greedy.

But joking aside, this just adds to the depression. To know that we could have potentially stayed at an improved Upton Park - 45k capacity would have been enough - and retained the very soul of the club just breaks my heart.
  • There is a section of West Ham’s support which believes that relegation would be a good thing for the club. It would allow them to go through a deep cleanse that would involve the owners selling up, the squad being overhauled, the team winning matches and the grim smog being lifted.

Unfortunately, that’s not always how it works. Saturday provided plenty of evidence that relegation would not allow West Ham to win games at a canter and persuade supporters to fall in love all over again. Here was a strong West Ham team being beaten, at home, by a second-string West Brom side that is in poor form in the Championship. Rather than being confident that West Ham would flourish in a shallower pool, it’s just as likely that they would find a way to drown in it. Remember Sunderland?

West Ham are now close to the type of mutiny that saw pitch invasions and the directors’ box being swamped against Burnley in March 2018. The two years since have witnessed a succession of promises from Davids Gold and Sullivan and Karren Brady, an array of well-meaning managers and new signings but precious little leadership and thus no sustainable improvement whatsoever.

If that wasn’t enough, supporters are being forced to watch a David Moyes-managed team flounder and play turgid football 18 months after they were told the club wanted to move on from the Scot because he wasn’t the right fit for the owners’ vision. Every opportunity those owners have been given to prove their own competence has been passed up. Fans feel that they are being asked to pay a king’s ransom to watch something they love be suffocated. That is always likely to provoke intense frustration that spills over into anger.

Taken from F365
  • Relegation would be an unmitigated disaster.
  • Here was a strong West Ham team being beaten

Except we weren't a strong team, we were a team down to the bare bones with two 19yos and a 21yo from our U23s in the bench because we had no one else to fill the spots.
  • The Championship has quite a lot of money in it now, much more I think than when we were there. It would not be easy to get out and I think we'd have far less of our squad willing to play there than last time.
  • https://www.claretandhugh.info/will-the-protests-work/

£40 mio in loans to the Daves due in the summer :wahoo:
  • Aslef the team we put out was as strong as we could field against a 2nd string West Brom team the reasons for that are probably why we lost