Darren Randolph: The Return

We are pleased to confirm the return of Republic of Ireland international goalkeeper Darren Randolph to the Club. https://t.co/gxp3lJfPM5

Comments

• I'm not convinced I understand his motivation, TBH.

He wasn't happy being No2 to Hart/Adrian, and must know that Fab is a definite starter (when fit), so from a professional angle what's changed?

Unless life in the North East is just that bad.
  • After the smoggies hes come to the harsh realization that we're as good as it gets :hmm:

#are you Etheridge in disguise?
  • Well he is better than Roberto so you can argue we have strengthend the squad
  • edited January 2020
    Wow how far we have come as a club.

We have cancelled a debtor and got an older injured player. Our board must be in heaven.

Transfer window now closed for us!!
  • He wasn't happy being No2 to Hart/Adrian, and must know that Fab is a definite starter (when fit), so from a professional angle what's changed?

He wasn't our no.2 goalie, he was no.3 behind Hart and Adrian.
  • As he has signed permanently, I think we can safely assume our goalkeeper stock won’t be upgraded/improved any more in the summer.

Let’s hope fab keeps his form and fitness as he approaches his 36th birthday in season 20/21
  • edited January 2020
    But the point remains ASLEF. Fabianksi is by far the best 'keeper we've had for years and only a year older than Randolph, so Dazza must know that he won't get a look in when Fab is fit.

Seems to be settling for No2 status, which doesn't strike me as a great career move when you're approaching your peak.

Unless the club has plans to cash in on Fabianksi :hmm:
  • He’s a great keeper for us, but we would get very little for him if we tried to sell him IMO
  • Also, with Fab contracted until June 2021 and Randolph June 2023, what opportunities are Trott and Anang likely to get?
  • Joke of a club ,Randy your okay but the club is a mess ,Is he fit for saturday if not whats the point :puzzled:
  • I'm not sure I understand what people are angry about here. He is a definite upgrade on both Roberto and David Martin. He had a good rapport with the other players, and seemed to be a good egg generally. Maybe his motivation is that he thinks he's improved as a keeper, and with Fab being injured he has the chance to prove he's better than him and be number one.

If the club thinks that Nathan Trott (maybe Anang, but he seems less highly rated) is the one for the future, then I'm happy for us to bring in an upgrade for now, rather than a young replacement for Fabianski.

According to the BBC he is fit to play against Everton.

Welcome back, I say. :ok:
  • Fit to play...... :wahoo: Now we just need 10 more :thumbsup:
  • I haven't got any problem with Randy Alderz...

#lights touchpaper and slips into the shadows :whistle:
  • edited January 2020
    alderz said:

I'm not sure I understand what people are angry about here. He is a definite upgrade on both Roberto and David Martin. He had a good rapport with the other players, and seemed to be a good egg generally. Maybe his motivation is that he thinks he's improved as a keeper, and with Fab being injured he has the chance to prove he's better than him and be number one.

Whilst I agree with this, my concern is that he hasn't played since 24 November and has been carrying an injury that we have already lost two 'keepers to. To me, it just feels like too big a risk given our predicament. From what I've read, he's 'expected' to be fit for Everton, which suggets there is still an element of doubt.

I hope the club are 100% sure that he is 100% fit for Saturday and beyond, because if he has a reoccurance of the injury in the near future it will only fuel the flames of those already gunning for the owners.
  • Whos decision to sign him, Moyes or the boards?
  • yoyo said:

Whos decision to sign him, Moyes or the boards?

Depends on who/what you believe.

There’s a lot of talk, albeit on Twitter, that Sullivan’s preferred method of identifying players is asking his ‘trusted agents’ to bring him some names, rather than employ scouts. Will Salthouse is one of these agents, who happens to have Randolph on his books, which could suggest he is a board signing.

Every chance Moyes wanted him, but we'll never know for sure.
  • So after resigning a manager who we got rid of.. we have now resigned a keeper who we got rid of, who has the same injury as the keeper we are resigning him to cover for...

I assume we will now have to sell Fab to make some room in our salary budget...
  • Great back-up and Champ player of the year. Welcome back Randy. Joe Allen next please
  • edited January 2020

Not my own work/adjustments, just found it. Also, I may or may not agree with this
  • Remarkably, I reckon we can’t afford Joe Allen and that is why it hasn’t happened
  • Or maybe it’s because I don’t want or rate him :lol:
  • Bazshuayi said:

I haven't got any problem with Randy Alderz...

#lights touchpaper and slips into the shadows :whistle:

I don`t have a problem with Darren Randolph.

Randy Alderz on the other hand........................ :nonono:
  • I mean, I know he loves a good stat
  • It’s not that long ago when people were crying out for Randolph to be dropped after a few “Robertoesque“ performances and couldn’t wait to get rid of him.
    Funny old game.
  • Imo he's not the answer. He was never
    a game saver first time around.Makes us look like a laughing stock. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though.
  • Article on the OS now in which Randy states he's fully healed and fully fit.

Good to hear.

Long may it stay that way.
  • He might be fit now ,But when is his first training session with us :whistle:
  • This morning, apparently. And it seems like he emerged unscathed.

Plenty of time for us to break him before Saturday though.
  • Whats so laughing stock about a back-up keeper. I think Moyes made this decision based on team spirit more than anything also, seems a good chap to have around. I loved his heroics in the cup runs
  • Because imo I don't think he's premier standard. I don't doubt he's a good egg. Middlesbrough hadn't fully paid for him so he's been snatched back for a few extra quid. Peter Kaye seems a good bloke for team spirit but I wouldn't want him in goal.i don't see this as a step forward or an investment to become long term number 1