West Ham v Gillingham (A) FA Cup 3rd Round (05.01.20-KO 18:16) Match Thread

edited January 2020 in Match Threads
So here we go into the third round of the FA Cup. A competition Moyes says he is going to take seriously.

For me that means putting out a full strength squad.

Who will he select? Who Would you select?

Comments

• I'd just like to thank Suz in advance for our fabulous upcoming performance ;) :thumbsup:
  • No choice but to start with Fabianski.

Unless Martin is fit (and 100% fit with no worry at all).
  • Does anybody know what time this kicks off? BBC have a kick-off time of 18.16? I’m assuming that isn’t right.
  • It would be great for WHU to win the FA cup - nothing wrong with dreaming. I would like to to see a strong team but am aware that some of the first-teamers need rest and EPL survival is a major aim. With this in mind would suggest the following team, with some big guns on the bench.

Martin (if fit)
    Johnson - Diop - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Lanzini - Rice - Coventry - Holland
    Ajeti - Antonio

Press coverage suggests Martin Samuelson has had a good spell in Norway. So am hoping that the game goes well and he would get some tome on the pitch. Sorry, can't select Sanchez.
  • edited January 2020
    Jorderz :ok:

It is part of the mental health campaign ‘take a minute’, so all games kick off at a minute past their usual scheduled times.
  • edited January 2020
    I would go:

Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Balbuena - Diop - Masuaku
    Snodgrass - Sanchez - Fornals - Lanzini
    Anderson
    Ajeti

I have rested players in positions I feel we cannot afford to lose to any sort of injury, given we are short of any sort of replacement (Fredericks, Ogbonna, Rice, Haller). Haller can be kept on the bench purely as we may need a striker in an emergency should we be behind.

Does show we really need a striker in January.
  • Does anybody know what time this kicks off? BBC have a kick-off time of 18.16? I’m assuming that isn’t right.

I've updated the thread title with the kick off time.
  • Luke

Whilst I agree with to a certain extent with - "I have rested players in positions I feel we cannot afford to lose to any sort of injury, given we are short of any sort of replacement"

I would start with our strongest line up which does include Fredericks, Ogbonna, Rice, Haller then once we are 2 goals up, sub them off.

We must start this game strong.
  • Thanks Lukerz and Suz :ok:
  • Pengeman, I’d completely forgotten about Samuelson.He was highly rated when we got him from Man. City(?).Where’s he been on loan?
  • Slacker said:

Pengeman, I’d completely forgotten about Samuelson.He was highly rated when we got him from Man. City(?).Where’s he been on loan?

Was just being lazy! Just checked his Wiki page.He’s certainly been around.
  • I would like to see a strong side out, but also I do appreciate that we've had the festive fixture list. I've had a look at how many minutes each player has played since boxing day and put it into a lovely chart for you all. The game tomorrow means it is the 4th game in 9 days.

Balbuena and Rice played 90 minutes in every game. Fornals, Haller and Snodgrass played over 200 minutes. If anybody needs a rest I'd assume it's those few. Though, Snoddy did only play 28 minutes against Leicester, so could be alright.

That being the case, here's my team:

Fabianski; Fredericks Balbuena Diop Masuaku; Anderson Noble Snodgrass Holland; Lanzini; Ajeti

That back four has been some people's preferred 4 at points this season. The big weakness (possibly?) is Ajeti, but he's here and we should be trying to use him in games like this, surely?!
  • #AldStatAttack

• alderz

If you don't mind, I'm going to share your stats on Twitter. Do you have a Twitter handle, and would you like me to add it to the post?
  • I do not have a twitter handle, but you are more than welcome to share :ok:
  • Well, out of pure envy and jealousy, I have formed my own combined 3D chart and Giraffic design format!

(Alderz, may if he wishes, fill in the relevant minutes played :lol: )

• edited January 2020
    @Slacker - "I’d completely forgotten about Samuelson.He was highly rated when we got him from Man. City(?).Where’s he been on loan?".

He has been playing at Haugesund in Norway and also played in the Norwegian cup final https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/december/09-december/loan-watch-cup-final-heartbreak-samuelsen

Here is more about his return to West Ham
    https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/01/02/wanted-to-keep-him-haugesund-sporting-director-confirms-end-of-west-ham-stars-loan/447340/

• Penge :ok:

Interesting that the Haugesund director says that they were unable to keep him due to interest from elsewhere. Sounds like he'll be off again.
  • edited January 2020
    Noble & Cresswell didn't train today according to Moyes, both touch & go to make team. Fab also didn't train, but if fit he will start. Antonio no go as is Wilshire ( nothing new there )...Could see quite a few changes I think.
  • I hope Reid is fit to play
  • If we have to make changes due to fitness issues (Noble, Cresswell, Antonio & Fabianski) then no other changes should be made.

Rice, for example, must play as should Ogbona & Haller.
  • I wonder if we will see Sanchez being transformed into Kante after being blessed by Moyes’ Midas touch?
  • No.

That would be more astonishing than the parting of the red sea or that business with a few loaves of bread feeding 5,000.
  • Baz, you're 'avin' a tin bath :biggrin:
  • I don't see Antonio in anyone's team selections. Is he injured?
  • Must be strong line up, I can only see reason for a change if the player coming in doesn't weaken too much, perfectly happy for Lanzini to give Fornells a rest and Diop to provide Baubena a break, but beyond that I cant see any changes.

Fabianski must start, he has only just come back so hardly needing a rest and Martin stepped up wonderfully regard attitude and was a complete credit to himself, his Dad and the club, and for me his emotion at the end of the Chelsea match will be a highlight of the season, but he is not Fabianski and we need Fab in goal.
  • I wonder if we will see Sanchez being transformed into Kante after being blessed by Moyes’ Midas touch?

Ummmm NO, you on the lash barracks ?? :lol:
  • I don't see Antonio in anyone's team selections. Is he injured?

Hamstring apparently.
  • “Jack Wilshere is still inside at the moment and Winston Reid has been around. He trained today. I think, with Winston, it’s about getting him some football. He’s back training with the first team and he looks okay.

“We just need to see about getting him some game time. He’s been a first team player and, if I could get Winston an opportunity, it would be good to find out how he’s doing.”

Nice words from Moyes on Winston. I kinda think the decision to sack Pellegrini may mean Reid has a bit more chance of a future, as the rumour was Pelle was looking to move him on. Moyes will know how good he can be from his time before.
This discussion has been closed.