January transfer window 2019/20 season

As we've only got 39 days until the window opens I thought I'd start a thread.

The Guardian has linked us with Argentinian winger Nicolás Gaitán whose contract with Chicago Fire expires in December. Villa and the Blunts are also interested.

Let the games begin!

Comments

• Because wingers are something we desperately short of, aren’t we?
  • Jack Butland is attracting interest from West Ham and Norwich in the January transfer window, reports The72.

The report suggests the Hammers will look to bring Butland to the London Stadium on an initial loan and then sign him in the summer
  • One thing's for sure, we're definitely going to sign a keeper, these 2 freebies we signed in the summer are going to end up costing us millions in place money at the end of the season.
  • Whole new team would be good :biggrin:
  • edited November 2019
    steve said:

Whole new team would be good :biggrin:

yeh, & throw in a new manger PLEASE !!! :ok: ;)
    Well in reality, yeh to the manager, unless he turns things around in the next 5/6 weeks, but as for new signings, not sure TBH...!!!
  • I’m probably in the minority but I’d rather have a new manager and no signings rather than the same manager and a few new faces
  • The Mail reckons Sanchez could leave in January although no source for that info.

The Guardian say we're looking at another ex-M...… keeper, Jordan Archer. Really?

TEAMtalk have linked us with Southampton RB Cedric Soares who is out of contract at the end of the season. Do we need another RB?
  • We are the pits
  • Free signing Zabaleta has lost his place to free signing Fredericks and is out of contract in the summer, so free signing Soares to replace him? Yeah, I can absolutely believe that.
  • edited November 2019
    Even though it may be rumour, I would personally take seriously any rumour which links us with an out of contract and/or over the hill player
  • The Guardian say we're looking at another ex-M...… keeper, Jordan Archer. Really?

We would probably sign Jofra Archer or even Jeffrey Archer by mistake lol
  • Soares wouldn't be a free, he has turned down a new contract and Saints are looking to sell him before the summer.

He's 28, he's a regular in the Portuguese squad, started all three World Cup group games and started in the friendly against Scotland last month.

Hardly "over the hill".
  • Soares wouldn't be a free, he has turned down a new contract and Saints are looking to sell him before the summer.

He's 28, he's a regular in the Portuguese squad, started all three World Cup group games and started in the friendly against Scotland last month.

Hardly "over the hill".

No chance then :lol:
  • If we signed another r/b it would be a clear admission that giving Zab a contract extension was a bizarre (crass) decision by whomever at the club thought it was a good idea.
  • Zab is going in the summer so he would need replacing anyway. Jan / July what's the difference?
  • Zab will need replacing, yes.

But the issue for me (if we believe that particular rumour) is the motivation; are we targetting Soares because he's been identified as a player that we really want, or because as of 30th June 2020, he wouldn't cost the board anything.

I may be feeling more cyncical than usual, but I suspect the latter.
  • Because wingers are something we desperately short of, aren’t we?

Am I reading this wrong? Why are you being sarcastic? We have 3 wingers for 2 places. We do need another winger.
  • Also being cynical the last Portuguese defender we signed from Southampton was playing well for them at the time we signed him then turned to jelly as soon as he arrived at West Ham!
  • Adam said:

Because wingers are something we desperately short of, aren’t we?

Am I reading this wrong? Why are you being sarcastic? We have 3 wingers for 2 places. We do need another winger.
    Not speaking for baracks, but I would argue we have other priorities. The 4th winger spot I would give to Nathan Holland in the short term, then in the summer we'll have Diangana back.

We need some steel and pace in the middle of the park more than we need a winger, and we could do with another CB and LB too, from what I've seen of this season.
  • Depends who the manager is though.
  • Adam said:

Because wingers are something we desperately short of, aren’t we?

If there is going to be any jan business done, I would imagine it would be very limited indeed. Given that, I would expect (hope) any business to directly address the main areas which are causing our slump - in other words there needs to be an order of priority. Which isn’t the wing IMO
  • I have seen the transfer targets for January and a dynamic midfielder to take the pressure of Declan is not on the list as it hasn't been for the past few windows! ;)
  • The Guardian say we're looking at another ex-M...… keeper, Jordan Archer. Really?

We would probably sign Jofra Archer or even Jeffrey Archer by mistake lol

I'd take Tasmin Archer in net at the moment. At least she would take the blame for the goals.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50642305

Balotelli available in January on a free :hmm:

I don't think he's the answer to many questions, but if the question is "you need a striker and you don't spend money in January, who is available?" then he might be the answer.
  • Balotelli signed with Brescia on a £25k pw season long deal with an automatic extension if they avoided relegation, They're bottom on 7pts after 13 games, 3pts from survival and it seems they think they're going to be better off without him.

He's the answer if the question is "who could start a fight in a solitary confinement cell?"
  • I like him. I want him. I am not questioning my sanity

#much
  • Leave that to those who know better Baz. :whistle:
  • Bazshuayi said:

I like him. I want him. I am not questioning my sanity

#much

Have a word with Klippie Kloppie and see what he says :wink:

• He's the answer if the question is "who could start a fight in a solitary confinement cell?"

He might be the answer to the question 'what would make Rav :wahoo: ?'
  • I think we need a striker who's different to Haller. I think Balotelli is very similar and Haller might be better than him.
This discussion has been closed.