Away to Burnley - Saturday 9th November 3pm

After very abject performances in our last few games , how will we fare here?
Will Pellegrini decide to change things?
Does Roberto remain in goal or is Martin given a chance?
IMO Lanzini must start, will he though?
Dyche will certainly have his players up for this game, as they were just as poor in their last game losing 3-0 away to The Blunts.
Ref appointed for game- Kevin Friend & VAR duties - Lee Mason.
I personally think this will be a tough game & can quite easily see our poor results continuing, Hope I am wrong though. :scarf:

Comments

• Hard to know what Pellegrini would do but we need to win (an old cliche). He can't filed the team that peformed poorly against Newcastle and Burnley is a tough place to go where Chris Woods always seems to score against WHU. We are yet to win a game with roberto in goal and he seem to gift a goal or two in every game. We need a team with hunger. Chelsea have roared with the introduction of young, hungry and skillful players, why can't we give them a try.

So my preferred team would be

Martin
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Rice - Coventry
    Holland - Snodgrass - Anderson
    Haller

Subs: Roberto, Balbuena, Cresswell, Noble, Fornals, Lanzini, Yarmalenko

I suspect Pellegrini won't give the youth a chance and few more poor performances in the forthcoming games against Chelsea and Tottenham will seal his fate. Can't see how much more the Board could have spent.
  • Burnley will roll us. Woods will have a field day against Roberto.
  • ------------------------------Roberto-------------------------------

------------------Diop------Balbuena-------Ogbonna-----------------

-Fredericks-----------Rice----------Snodgrass-----------Masuaku-

------------------------------Anderson--------------------------------

-------------------Yarmolenko-------Haller---------------------------

Subs: Martin, Cresswell, Noble, Holland, Lanzini, Fornals, Ajeti
  • Given Pellegrini's penchant for picking slow and experienced (old) pros, I imagine we'll line as

Roberto
    Zaba Balbuena Diop Cresswell
    Pike Dickens
    Yarmolenko Snodgrass Ward
    Puddefoot
  • Martin for roberto
  • A fish finger for Roberto
  • ------------------------------Roberto-------------------------------

------------------Diop------Balbuena-------Ogbonna-----------------

-Fredericks-----------Rice----------Snodgrass-----------Masuaku-

------------------------------Anderson--------------------------------

-------------------Yarmolenko-------Haller---------------------------

Subs: Martin, Cresswell, Noble, Holland, Lanzini, Fornals, Ajeti

Just to be clear... that's the team I'd like to see (not the team I'm expecting to see).
  • Hopefully we've learnt a lesson from last weekend and don't try a high defensive line with a slow back four against a team that like to play long balls.
  • I would say this is the perfect game for the high line. They don’t have much pace in their side.

The issue with last week was the pace Newcastle had it made playing a high line with slow full-backs impossible.
  • The way they scored their 2nd goal was just basic schoolboy error defending with no one alert to the delayed run of Fernandez.
  • I don’t think it matters if it is a high line, low line or praline - if we take to the field in the same slow, ponderous, clueless manner as we did esp in the first half v Newcastle, another defeat is on its way for us.
  • I'm looking forward to a feast of football. But then I always am.
    Back in the real world, Kevin Friend will send a Hammer off when he retaliates to Burnley thuggery. Leave Mark Noble out, Friend always has it in for him. IMO.
  • A Goalkeeper
    Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Masuaku
    Rice Snodgrass
    Yarmolenko Lanzini Anderson
    Haller
  • The way they scored their 2nd goal was just basic schoolboy error defending with no one alert to the delayed run of Fernandez.

It thought it was more like Roberto making it very easy by coming way too far off his line and being stranded in no mans land.
  • This really isn't a game I can get my hopes up for. Not even if we were in excellent form. Like when we used to play Bolton back in the day.
  • : Have no hope ..West ham have taken that all away from me ….However I will still watch it :biggrin:
  • Hamstew said:

This really isn't a game I can get my hopes up for

So, loss then?
  • Hamstew said:

So, loss then?
    With a cherry on top
  • Hallelujah! Lawro has predicted Burnley to win 2-0!
  • Hamstew said:

Hamstew said:

So, loss then?
    With a cherry on top
    Surely that would be Bournemouth

:yercoat:
  • From yesterday's presser

"As a team I think that we need to improve, especially at set-pieces. They have been decisive - three goals from Newcastle, two from Crystal Palace. We must improve as a team more than just discuss one player"

"I think that Newcastle scored three goals from set-pieces, two from a counter-attack from set pieces. They had chances on the counter-attack because for different reasons we didn't keep a player back."

I think that tells us what they've been focusing on in training this week...
  • One of the reasons their counter attacks flourished was that their attackers were 3 times quicker than our defenders
  • For some reason Newcastle seemed to think it was ok to bear down on our goal without checking their run, turning inside and playing nine sideways passes first.
  • I feel like I’ve stopped looking forward to watching us play. Such a shame.
  • Colchester, shocking ain't it, where on earth did learn to play football like that - just so primitive. :whistle:
  • I feel like I’ve stopped looking forward to watching us play. Such a shame.

Same. Just pretty apathetic towards the club as a whole at the moment.
  • The team/manager at the moment are not inspiring me..& seems some others. They need to start to show they are proud to wear the shirt & dig in. As for Pelle, IMO he needs to buck his ideas up quickly, to still be in the game after 20 minutes would be a start.
  • Play Lanzini up front with Haller, he did some great link up with Arnie before he got injured and we desperately need Haller to stay up and Lanzini to provide support. Lanzini is really tricky so will ensure Haller is not so easily isolated as he gives their defence something else to think about. Ideally It would be Chico but as he is gone Lanzini is next best.

Also got to give the third choice keeper a go, Roberto is sure to make a basic error and his confidence must be effected by now, so lets offer the other keeper an opportunity to take his chance now it has come. A keeper waits for a chance so give him one, not much to lose as if he makes a couple of errors they would have come from Roberto also on current evidence.

• Feels like weve been on a repeat for about 5 years

The squad shows that it has a lot of ability

Yet with a number if different managers and a number of different players there always seems to be a complete lack of desire the minute any adversity comes up

The team (club) just cant handle pressure
  • I just sit and wonder what goes through the minds of Pelle and Husillos

We basically sold all our forwards over the summer barring Chica. The one we did buy even at £40m isn’t overly quick.

Ajeti seemed to be a bit of a last minute buy with the small amount of money left. The club know Xande Silva will not be an option in 2019. So then they decide to sell Chica too, leaving us desperately short of any sort of a plan B in games.

Madness
This discussion has been closed.