Newport County V West Ham Tues 27th Aug Carabao Cup 2nd Rd. A cup run or Plonkers at Rodney Parade?

So following on from a confidence boosting win at Watford we start yet another cup campaign full of hope. Newport have proved to be tough opponents at home in the cups in the last couple of seasons. I think we'll see a few changes but should have enough to progress.

Roberto
Johnson - Diop - Balbuena - Masuaka
Noble -Rice
Antonio -Anderson - Yarmolenko
Ajeti

Newport 0-3 West Ham.

COYI

Comments

• Love the title :clap:
  • Now this is where I agree that all cup ties come under the 'Must Win" banner.
  • I’d play Wilshere (if fit) and Yarmo. They both look way off the pace at the moment (understandably), so more minutes will be really valuable for them.
  • edited August 2019
    Roberto
    Zabaletta (c) Ogbonna Cardoso Cresswell
    Sanchez Wilshere
    Yarmolenko Fornals Snodgrass
    Hernandez

We're 60 places above Newport so give them some playing time.
  • Looking back at our lineup against Wimbledon, it had such a lack of creative players. Noble, Obiang, Snodgrass, Diangana, Carroll and Hernandez.

I would definitely play Wilshere (assuming he’s fit), Fornals and Yarmolenko. And I’d like to see Ajeti play.
  • Attitude will be just as important as ability imo
  • Roberto
    Zabaleta - Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Noble - Snodgrass
    Yarmolenko - Fornals - Antonio
    Ajeti
  • Not sure about Noble after his first game today, need him for Norwich
  • Fabianksi
    Johnson Balbuena Ogbonna Masuaku
    Rice Wilshere
    Yarmolenko Fornals Anderson
    Ajeti

Roberto, Zaba, Cardoso, Noble, Coventry, Holland, Antonio

Hopefully get a decent half-time lead and then give Coventry and Holland a run out in the second half.

Should be a comfortable win, so I'm hoping for another Macclesfield type result. Probably not 8 again, but I'd like to see a 3 or 4 goal gap.
  • Newport will be way harder than Macclesfield, I’Il just be happy to be in the next round.
  • OCS, no Snodgrass?
  • This is a must win if we are to stay in this tournament...
  • It looks like Ajeti will be starting this match. In Pellegrini’s post Watford match interview, he said we’ll be seeing him on Tuesday.
  • Interesting to see who plays

Yarmo, Wilshere & Fornals are potentially first XI material but need minutes

Haller and Rice will probably need protecting a they are currently key given squad deficiencies

Sanchez, Snodgrass and zabaleta are squad players who have barely featured, so they are likely to play

Fab
    Zab Diop Baluena Cresswell
    Sanchez Wilshere
    Yarmo Fornals Lanzini
    Ajeti

Personally I'd play Holland straight off the bat but I cant see pellegrini making a full 11 changes

I'd also start Johnson over Zab (or cresswell) but I think Pellegrini will want to give the experienced pair minutes

• We're 60 places above Newport so give them some playing time.

There were more places (70+) between them when they drew with Spurs 1-1 in the FA Cup 4th round 2 seasons ago to force a replay.

Last season they beat Leicester + 'Boro and made it through to the 5th round (knocked out by Man City)

They're no mugs.
  • edited August 2019
    I think like all of these games it’s usually about selecting players who you know will not be bullied when the game goes scrappy.

Diop, Balbuena, Zabaleta, Nobes, Snodgrass, Antonio all worth a starting spot. He may give Sanchez a game.

Players like Fornals, Ajeti, Yarmolenko will probably also start, but they need to make sure they are 100% up for it because these games can often turn into uncomfy evenings.

We don’t want to undo the good work of Saturday with a loss that sours the mood.

Pelle says he wants the players to take the game seriously & forget about the win at Watford, but also he has to feed that mentality by picking a side that gives the impression we want to win.
  • I don't think I'd even trust Sanchez in this one.

I really think he's that bad.
  • Sanchez is going to be HOTY.
  • Is there any chance of a stream for this game?
  • I think Pellegrini might go 4-3-3 with Hernandez, Ajeti, Antonio upfront, if Hernandez is fit to play.

then a mid 3 of Sanchez Snodgrass Noble

then a combination of whoever at the back.
  • Sanchez is going to be HOTY.

• I think Pellegrini might go 4-3-3 with Hernandez, Ajeti, Antonio upfront, if Hernandez is fit to play.

then a mid 3 of Sanchez Snodgrass Noble

then a combination of whoever at the back.

Think he's already ruled Hernandez out.
  • edited August 2019

Is there any chance of a stream for this game?

It's a Sky game, isn't it? - so a good chance :ok:
  • Yeah, Sky wasted no time in announcing this one. I wonder why... :hmm:
  • Is there any chance of a stream for this game?

It's being shown on Sky, so in all probability, YES
  • :ok: Didn't realise it was on Sky!
  • It's live on TV out here In Cape Town... :scarf:
  • I'd like to see:

Fab
    Zab Diop Balbeuna Masuaku
    Wilshere Noble
    Yarmo Fornals Snodgrass
    Ajeti

Subs: Roberto, Johnson, Cardoso, Sanchez, Holland, Antonio, Hernandez.

That'll give a few players short on fitness/form a game as well as giving a few squad players some minutes and a chance to show us/the manager what they can do.
This discussion has been closed.