Watford Away 24th August. Let’s start the Bank Holiday with a Bang!

Now, as I believe, I’m on my longest run as a Match Thread writer I’ll get the Watford thread going to keep the Monday optimism going.
Same team as Brighton but with Anderson for Wilshere and Haller for Fornals, in a 4-2-2-1-1 with Haller playing behind Chica.
2-1 Hammers. COYI

Comments

• Watford have had a poor start. They've struggled in their opening two games, and for most teams this would be a good time to play them.

We, however, are not most teams.

We have a horrible habit of helping out-of-sorts teams find some form, so a home win is looking favourite.

Not sure I get why Balbuena was dropped for Brighton; the rumours suggest Pellegrini wanted a 'more balanced' defence, but I'm not sure playing Ogbonna just because he's left-footed is a great idea. A team's centre backs need to build an understanding, which won't happen if you keep changing them around. It's a bit worrying if after two pre-seasons and a full PL campaign that Pellegrini doesn't seem to know his preferred pairing.

So I would like to see Balbuena re-instated, alongside Diop with Fredericks and Masuaku at full-back.

Wilshere has been subbed early in both games, so wouldn't be surprised to see him benched; the problem is who to replace him with. Will Noble be fit? Probably not. Sanchez? Not for me. So maybe he starts through lack of options. This was always the risk with not bringing in another midfielder in the summer, and already we're seeing problems in that position.

Lanzini has probably been our best player across the two games. Not difficult, given the alternatives, but I would go with him on the left, Antonio on the right and Fornals in the No10 role. Haller starts up front.

So basically two teams that haven't played well in their two games so far. You would expect one of them to maybe kick start their season this weekend; I fear it will be Watford.

2-1.
  • edited August 2019
    West Ham win. :coyi:
  • edited August 2019
    Fabianski
    Fredericks - Balbuena - Diop - Masuaku
    Rice - Snodgrass
    Anderson - Antonio - Lanzini
    Haller

Roberto, Ogbonna, Noble, Wilshere, Fornals, Yarmolenko, Hernandez

But I suspect we will see Ogbonna in for Balbuena, Wilshere in & possibly Anderson & Haller not fit to start.

2-2
  • The fact Anderson & Haller were 'doubts' at the weekend (or, 100% definitely going to start according to Lukerz ITK :wink: ) makes me think they should be back for this.

I agree with all others that Balbuena and Diop are our best CB pairing. If Pelle really wants Ogbonna in the side then he should be playing with Balbuena, IMO. Diop is streets ahead of Ogbonna, but the mistakes in his game are similar to those that Oggy makes (i.e. positioning, concentration, dithering on the ball), so I don't ever really want to see them playing together.

Fabianski; Fredericks Balbuena Diop Masuaku; Rice Wilshere; Antonio Lanzini Anderson; Haller
  • If Anderson and Haller are both fit they have to play with Antonio and Lanzini preferred ahead of Fornals.

Balbuena back in for Oggy.

If Noble isn't fit I'd play Snodgrass as a CM instead of Wilshere but I suspect MP will give him another chance.
  • Wilshere has been very poor in these first two games, I'd personally prefer snodgrass over him especially against Watford who are very physical

Anderson and Haller need to start

Think Lanzini and Antonio have done enough to keep their place, as has Masuaku

Agree with everyone that Diop-Balbuena is our best pairing

So I agree with lukerz team although I'd like Antonio right, Anderson left and Lanzini central

• Not sure I get why Balbuena was dropped for Brighton; the rumours suggest Pellegrini wanted a 'more balanced' defence, but I'm not sure playing Ogbonna just because he's left-footed is a great idea. A team's centre backs need to build an understanding, which won't happen if you keep changing them around. It's a bit worrying if after two pre-seasons and a full PL campaign that Pellegrini doesn't seem to know his preferred pairing.

So I would like to see Balbuena re-instated, alongside Diop with Fredericks and Masuaku at full-back.

This.

I spent a lot of Saturdays' game exclaiming 'why is Ogbonna in for Balbuena?' and again whilst watching MOTD.
  • edited August 2019
    In an ideal world, you'd have a right-footed CB and a left-footed CB because it does offer a natural balance. It may explain why we bought Cardoso in; him at LCB and Diop at RCB could be Pellegrini's long-term plan.

However, this balance didn't seem to be an issue last season as the Diop/Balbuena combination was Pellegrini's preferred choice, so why the change in approach, I wonder :hmm:

I'm keen to see Cardoso in action, so hopefully he'll play against Newport.
  • alderz said:

The fact Anderson & Haller were 'doubts' at the weekend (or, 100% definitely going to start according to Lukerz ITK :wink: ) makes me think they should be back for this.

I agree with all others that Balbuena and Diop are our best CB pairing. If Pelle really wants Ogbonna in the side then he should be playing with Balbuena, IMO. Diop is streets ahead of Ogbonna, but the mistakes in his game are similar to those that Oggy makes (i.e. positioning, concentration, dithering on the ball), so I don't ever really want to see them playing together.

Fabianski; Fredericks Balbuena Diop Masuaku; Rice Wilshere; Antonio Lanzini Anderson; Haller

I agree completely, however team-wise I'd go with Lukerz's team.

I also agree we need to be consistent with our team selection (barring injuries of course).
  • Pellegrini needs to find his back 4 and stick to it, the chopping and changing needs to stop.

Make a call Masuaku or Cresswell, Ogbonna or Balbuena.

Hoping to see a performance where we can string more than 3 passes together.
    Hoping for a 90 minute performance...

I have reservations.
  • Needs to sort out captain also. If its noble and he isn't going to be playing every week then a permanent vice captain. For me that would be Rice or Fabianski as they are both certain starters.
  • Pellegrini needs to find his back 4 and stick to it, the chopping and changing needs to stop.

Make a call Masuaku or Cresswell, Ogbonna or Balbuena.

Hoping to see a performance where we can string more than 3 passes together.
    Hoping for a 90 minute performance...

I have reservations.

Agreed. This should apply for the whole starting 11 as part of our problem is ensuring we defend and work as a unit. I agree sticking to the same back 4 is of utmost importance but sticking to our strongest 11 is also very important (of course injuries does make this very difficult).
  • edited August 2019
    Zabaleta is currently vice captain (I think) while Winston is out injured

I wouldn't give it to Rice, he's got enough to cope with being a 20-year old playing in the top flight without having to worry about the rest of the team. Even Mooro was 21 (and 8 days) when he was given the armband.
  • Zabaleta is currently vice captain.

I wouldn't give it to Rice, he's got enough to cope with being a 20-year old playing in the top flight without having to worry about the rest of the team. Even Mooro was 21 (and 8 days) when he was given the armband.

I watched him live on Saturday and he was one of the few telling people what to do and ran his socks off. It wouldn't be ideal but it has to be someone who is a certain starter imo.
  • Fabianski captained Swansea once, ironically against Arsenal.

Fabs for captain.
  • I'd have thought Fab or Rice were the obvious choices.

Cresswell and Ogbonna don't strike me as leaders at all.

Strange from Pellegrini.
  • edited August 2019
    Fabs for captain.
    Jumpers for goalposts.
  • It's like he looked down a list of who in the squad has the most appearances for the club and gave it to them
  • edited August 2019

I'd have thought Fab or Rice were the obvious choices.

Cresswell and Ogbonna don't strike me as leaders at all.

Strange from Pellegrini.

I think it may have been a tactic used to get the best out of them. Almost like he gave them the armband as a test of character, Cresswell didn’t impress & was subsequently dropped from the squad at the weekend. He may not have given it to Cresswell thinking he was the best fit, but it may have been a challenge to him. Same for Ogbonna, somebody who has never nailed down a regular place under Pelle.
  • edited August 2019
    alderz said:

It's like he looked down a list of who in the squad has the most appearances for the club and gave it to them

I think that's what he has done, I don't think outside of Mark Noble he is really fussed about who the captain is and I doubt the players honestly care much either.

For me personally, give it to the guy running his socks off, which is why Snodgrass would be my pick whilst Noble is out.
  • I would personally go with Rice. He is mature beyond his years, has come through the academy (kinda), he is not shy of saying a few things to team-mates. But I think Pelle is happy with Rice & the role he plays, & so is auditioning it off to senior players who have not yet combined him of their value to the side.
  • alderz said:

It's like he looked down a list of who in the squad has the most appearances for the club and gave it to them

I think that's what he has done, I don't think outside of Mark Noble he is really fussed about who the captain is and I doubt the players honestly care much either.

For me personally, give it to the guy running his socks off, which is why Snodgrass would be my pick whilst Noble is out.

alderz said:

Snodgrass is a good option if he was a first time regular but it would be crazy to give him the armband and he plays the next game, then doesn't play the following week. That'll mean we'd have had Cresswell as captain for one week, Ogbonna the next, Snodgrass the next and a different captain for the following week.
  • edited August 2019
    Lukerz said:

I think it may have been a tactic used to get the best out of them. Almost like he gave them the armband as a test of character, Cresswell didn’t impress & was subsequently dropped from the squad at the weekend. He may not have given it to Cresswell thinking he was the best fit, but it may have been a challenge to him. Same for Ogbonna, somebody who has never nailed down a regular place under Pelle.

Cresswell was captain twice last season (Saints A, Everton H) when Noble and Zabs were injured or weren't fit enough to start

When Noble said "we perhaps need to be a bit more ‘ugly’" did anyone else think "Luke Chadwick"?
  • Aslef, cruel - true, but cruel. :lol:
  • I wonder when we may see Johnson or holland

Right now they seem the two most likely to break through, think there is definitely an avenue for Johnson to find some game time (a bit more competition for Holland)
  • Champo

I'd guess against Newport - might well see Cardaso as well as Ajeti.

And it's live!
  • I wonder when we may see Johnson or holland

Right now they seem the two most likely to break through, think there is definitely an avenue for Johnson to find some game time (a bit more competition for Holland)

Also Coventry as he was in the squad photo.
  • Watford have lost their last five league games.

West Ham be like

• Apparently no Deeney for them. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.
This discussion has been closed.