Welcome, Pablo Fornals. (Who?)

edited June 2019 in Completed Transfers
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/june/14-june/west-ham-united-sign-spain-playmaker-pablo-fornals

Announced on club site.

2nd highest fee ever paid, behind Anderson. A 5 year deal with an option for a 6th.

Now I have to go and look him up on Wikipedia.

Comments

• All we have to do now is hope he doesn't get crocked in the U21 Euros.
  • My number one choice for the past 2 years. :whistle:
  • Welcome to the westham family, Pablo.
    COYI
  • So funny reading the comments on Twitter.Everybody seems to know all about him and it’s a master stroke to get him in.Funny how nobody mentioned him ‘til about a week ago.
    Anyway let’s hope he does the business.
  • I like this new transfer policy signing younger highly rated players rather than over the hill expensive players of the past. With Diop Rice and Fornals we are getting the average age down and hopefully building a team to last a good few years. Now they just need to pop round to Celta Vigo and get Gomez sorted .
  • Youtube looks good but we've been there before.

Do like the fact that we talking about his Character as a big factor in getting him.

The size of the gap between talent and will, determines a top player..
  • This is an exciting signing

Experienced for someone so young still, and sounds like the exact type of player Pellegrini wants

I like how quick this deal has been concluded

Let's hope that we have a bit more in the kitty than what is rumoured as hopefully we can get in a few more players of this calibre
  • BBC reporting it with a fee of £24m
  • The Wizard looks class.
  • No point in me saying what a top signing as I had never heard of him prior to this speculation.

But he seems highly rated, talented, young & with a good personality.

Look forward to watching him.

Welcome :ok:
  • What Lukerz says :ok:
  • 12 goals in 130 career appearances for Malaga & Villarreal. Certainly not a goal-scoring midfielder.
  • It’s a shame that Adrian is leaving as he would have been a great mentor and protector off the field for this young man
  • I am sure Zab and Nobes will look after him
  • Hard to imagine that the Diego Tristan that played for us once played for the spanish national side
  • Lukerz said:

12 goals in 130 career appearances for Malaga & Villarreal. Certainly not a goal-scoring midfielder.

Everything I've read describes him as a "playmaker"

From his whoscored.com page

Strengths "through balls", "key passes" and "dribbling"
    Weaknesses "crossing", "aerial duels" and "finishing"
    Style of play "likes to dribble" "likes to do lay offs"
  • https://www.whoscored.com/Players/297203/Show/Pablo-Fornals

Stats and stuff for those of you who like those things :ok:

This season suggests he definitely isn't a RW so I'm not sure Lukerz team will be the one, but maybe
  • He seems to be a cross between Noble and Lanzini
  • Definitely a playmaker

Got 12 assists in the La Liga 17/18 season
  • The lad in action with a Sir Trev header at 1 minute 53 seconds.

• Alderz :ok: you would assume that the idea is for Pelle to get him in the side along with Lanzini & Anderson. I can imagine all three may play behind the main striker but in a narrow fashion, with Fredericks & Masuaku providing the width from full-back.

It has been suggested it could be:

Rice
    Fornals - Lanzini

As a midfield 3, but that for me is far too open.
  • Depends on who we sign I would imagine Noble would be in the middle 3 as it stands Rice-Noble-Fornals with a front 3 of Anderson Arnartovic Lanzini with Yarmalenko and Antonio able to fit in depending on form etc so 4-3-3 going forward and maybe switching to more of a 4-5-1 when we don't have the ball . I hope with the extra quality we will be able to retain possession a lot better
  • Could be good. I predict he'll be out second best midfielder after Lanzini
  • Hamstew said:

Could be good. I predict he'll be out second best midfielder after Lanzini

I think he is the replacement for Lanzini
  • edited June 2019
    :clownhorn:
  • edited June 2019

Hamstew said:

Could be good. I predict he'll be out second best midfielder after Lanzini

I think he is the replacement for Lanzini
    Never. Why would we replace the 2019/20 season player of the year?

You Cray Cray!
  • Oh OK let's keep him and let him play in the Europa League next year
  • Might be able to get a look at him in the U21 game tonight v Italy.
  • The official WHU Twitter feed has confirmed that he'll be wearing No18 next season