Gordon Banks - RIP

BBC reporting Gordon Banks has died aged 81

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47196017

An iconic figure of my early football memories.

That save

His memories of it

Comments

• Brilliant keeper and decent bloke.

RIP Gordon. ;poppy
  • ;poppy Very sad grew up loving the man
  • Sad news ;poppy
  • Anybody know how many of the English team that played in the 66 world cup final are still alive.
  • ;poppy

Grey, like you, one of my earliest football memories. The whole clip is first class, the pass, the cross, the leap and header, and of course the save. Thirty seconds of poetry. Top goalie, and from what you hear, a top chap too.
  • Best keeper I’ve seen RIP sir soon have a great side up there with you ;poppy
  • Hammerex said:

Anybody know how many of the English team that played in the 66 world cup final are still alive.

I think that’s now 4 of the 11 who played in the final who are now dead. Bobby Moore, Alan Ball, Ray Wilson and now Gordon Banks.
  • ;poppy
    The Hurst penalty save in semi-final of cup. Fantastic save, brilliant keeper.
    RIP Gordan Banks
  • ;poppy
    The Hurst penalty save in semi-final of cup. Fantastic save, brilliant keeper.
    RIP Gordan Banks

I remember it well,Gordon broke our hearts that night.
    I'll never forget Bonetti's mistakes in the 1970 quarter-final against (then)West Germany.If only Banks had been available..............

• Is it just my ageing fading memory but did we consider signing Gordon Banks but went for Bobby Ferguson because he was younger sometime in about 1967?
  • ;ok seems like it ,on the os it says Bobby moore wanted him but Ron Greenwood had given his word to get Ferguson
  • edited February 2019
    His name is part of the English Language.

How many times do fans say... Their 'keeper has been terrible of late, but today (whilst playing West Ham) he has turned into Gordon Banks.