West Ham vs Liverpool (8pm,4th February)

Comments

• What I find funny is that everybody knows they are gonna blow it. So great to watch.

• Anderson was great apart from a 15 minute period in the second half, where he started playing like one of the basketball players on Space Jam after the monsters had stolen their talent.

I have no idea what this means, but ;bowdown
    and ;wahoo
  • Enough about them.

We were top drawer.

Just wish we’d play half as well as that on Saturday.
  • So thats 3 of the 5 goals Liverpool have scored against us this season that were offside.

Quell surprise!
  • Just back from the game thanks to engineering works on the c2c line. ;angry

Great performance tonight but it just makes you think why they can only lift themselves when they are playing the bigger sides.?
    As already been discussed on here the linos were shocking.
    Time for var?

;
  • I missed out on sleep at the weekend and had to work at 3am today (for 7 hours). Went back to bed, set alarm for the game but fell asleep 5 minutes into it. My cousin was making his debut as linesman/referees assistant (I believe on Cresswells side). How did he do? Did he shine? Stand out? Have a great game? ;hmm
  • edited February 2019
    It was a great point that I along with most would have taken b4 the game I'm sure.
    There were many top performances, personally would have gone for Fredricks as MOM, but could have picked a few...love to see Klopp wound up, pls let City take it from them and we can all watch a massive Klopp stropp..
    I know I'm going to be in a big minority here, but thought ref Friend had an OK game, although same cant be said about his 2 assistants...What a glaring miss for their goal.
    hoping we can give a similar top performance v Palace please...
  • A Liverpool season ticket holder mate of mine text me this morning and said they wasn’t nearly offside they were clearly offside and was full of praise over our performance
  • Good to see Pelle doesn't like Klopp too. Had a pop at him in the press conference. Good man.
  • edited February 2019
    OCS:
    "Why oh why oh why can't we have these performances more often? We've just outplayed the league leaders. Where was this effort and drive against Bournemouth, or Wimbledon, or Wolves?"

I've looked at the teams we put out for our last 3 games and the formations. You can see who played in which position via the links

Wimbledon 4-5-1 West Ham 4-4-2
    https://hoofoot.com/?match=AFC_Wimbledon_4_-_2_West_Ham_2019_01_26

Wolves 3-5-2 West Ham 4-4-2
    https://www.skysports.com/football/wolves-vs-west-ham/390992

West Ham 4-2-3-1 Liverpool 4-3-3
    https://www.skysports.com/football/west-ham-vs-liverpool/391006

vs Wimbledon - vs Wolves - vs Liverpool

Adrián - Fabianski - Fabianski
    Antonio - Zabaleta - Fredericks
    Diop - Diop - Diop
    Ogbonna - Ogbonna - Ogbonna
    Masuaku - Masuaku - Cresswell
    Diangana/Fredericks 45 - Snodgrass/Obiang 69 - Rice
    Noble - Noble/Carroll 68 - Noble/Obiang 79
    Obiang/Anderson 45 - Rice - Antonio
    Snodgrass - Anderson - Snodgrass
    Hernández - Antonio - Anderson/Masuaku 91
    Carroll/Pérez 45 - Arnautovic/Hernández 77 - Hernandez/Carroll 79

Except for Cresswell last night, MP had the same players to pick from in the previous 2 matches.
    I'm wondering whether MP still doesn't know what formation he wants to use and who to play in those positions.
    Thoughts? ;hmm
  • Hopefully Fredericks keeps his performance up. Relies heavily on pace but if he could learn even half of Zabaletas defensive duties he could come good.
  • edited February 2019
    Liverpool fans at work going on about their injuries ;doh
  • edited February 2019
    I really think that the linesman should be asked to explain why he didn't flag Origi here, it's blatantly offside. What possible reason could he give? ;angry
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DymGC7LXcAEhiyR.jpg
  • A one all draw..... not a single person saw that coming ;lol
  • Was impressed with Fredericks

He gives us a good outlet and good pace/energy on the wings

He is a bit reckless when he dives in though, often over commits and then leaves himself exposed

Encouraging though, hopefully Zab can teach him a few things
  • I really think that the linesman should be asked to explain why he didn't flag Origi here, it's blatantly offside. What possible reason could he give? ;angry

From the reaction of the Liverpool fans in the pub last night when they saw Origi was coming on the lino obviously knew in advance that he wouldn't score so didn't see the point of making the effort.
  • Just watched the replay of Antonios goal celebration and Oggbonna comes in and slaps him round the face for some reason ;lol
  • Ok so he missed a blatant offside but what was he thinking about when he has asked his barber to do that....

F9E9F156-9995-4014-B0B1-6BD30FDDDC77
  • Mike, you'd better get the next match thread started!
  • Great team performance , could easily have got all 3 points - Arnie not in squad (coincidence?) Decision now whether to keep same team or bring Arnie back for Hernandez who ( if I had to pick one ) was in my opinion our least effective player.
  • Great game and we should have won. Why did the EPL have to have Stevie Wonder as linesman?

• Except for Cresswell last night, MP had the same players to pick from in the previous 2 matches.
    I'm wondering whether MP still doesn't know what formation he wants to use and who to play in those positions.
    Thoughts? ;hmm

No, I believe he is clear about what formation he wants, and what players he'd prefer in each position.

I think his changes have been based on what he knows about the players strengths + weaknesses, the opposition research, and the need for some players to rest/get minutes.
  • Ok, now it becomes clear

IMG_20190204_222433
  • A very pleasing team effort last night. Also some outstanding individual performances. Yes I'm still fuming after the Wimbledon, wolves fiascos.
    But last night went a long way to appease me. We showed some bite and some wonderful passing skills. Shame we were denied a victory. Went home with a smile even though it took 2 hours.
  • Same formation, same team next game for me, irrespective of who becomes fit/available. No one should be dropped after that performance. I personally thought Hernandez had a great game, very intelligent footballer. I know Carroll has never been the most graceful, but I think the nerve pathways that connect brain with limbs are damaged in some way, he just ain`t moving right.
    It`s tough being a linesman, have done it twice, never again. But there is NO EXCUSE for that haircut. Muppet. ;wahoo
  • MrsGrey said:

Mike, you'd better get the next match thread started!

Thank you MrsGrey ;bowdown but i'll let someone else have a turn for the palace game
  • Sorry mike, but it`s mandatory after a performance like that. You now have responsibilities.
  • And VAR is a must. I don`t want the game stopped every five minutes, I know that there will still be contentious decisions and ones that are open to interpretation, but for offsides, where it`s clearcut, it`s a ten second decision.
This discussion has been closed.