AFC Bournemouth v West Ham United (19/01/19, 15:00 KO)

12346»

Comments

• Bournemouth are becoming a bit of a bogey team for us but I do think they need some credit as history shows how difficult it is for promoted teams to establish themselves in the Premiership. Ten years ago they were in administration and survived relegation from league 2 on the final day of the season, yet have been in the Premiership since 2015, and I think most feel established now, certainly as long as Howe remains in charge. Their ground has a capacity of 11k. There has likely not been a modern day success story aside from Wimbledon in the 80s and 90's.

I do very much dislike that we cant better them at present when we play them, but they do have a lot to admire about how they have established themselves.
  • edited January 2019
    A lot of ifs to follow ;biggrin

If AC had put the ball in the net from a yard out instead of row Z, the game would have been ours for the taking.
    Bournemouth, home or away, are a team that hits on the break. If we had gone in front first (see above) they would have had to come out thus leaving themselves open.
    If it had been Arnie up front instead of AC the 3 points would have been ours, so I'm blaming Arnautovic.
    Another thing, Wolves play the same way so we can forget anything from that game as well.
  • My mates son is there captain Simon Francis who’s injured
  • Watford (H)
    Burnley (A)
    Bournemouth (H)
    Bournemouth (A)
    Wolves (H)
    Brighton (A)

0 points.

Man United (H)
    Chelsea (H)
    Arsenal (H)
    Everton (A)

10 points.

We will never change.
  • Diop has now said we lacked intensity but don’t know why. As this regularly happens I think they should be trying to sort it out. Perhaps it’s the way they train and prepare for certain games eg for top sides they know they really need to be at it but for others maybe they feel they’re evenly matched. Why not approach every game as if it’s against a top side.
  • Exactly it's frustrating.
  • That set of results above is just so West Ham it’s untrue.....

This bloomin club
  • It's the grey shirts. Get rid ASAP.
  • It would be typical if we lost against teams at the bottom, but we haven’t done that.

If we split the league in thirds:

Top 6: P7 W2 D1 L4
    Middle 6: P8 W1 D2 L5
    Bottom 7: P8 W6 D1 L1

So, we know how to beat the teams at the bottom and we know how to get some points off the top.

It’s the teams in the middle where we haven’t worked out the best strategy. If we can figure it out, maybe we can move up the table.
  • What a lifeless, insipid performance. Pelle has to take some flak for that. Antonio up top and Diangana on the wing would have given us much more potency. Am I alone in not quite seeing what Nasri offers us ? Why is he being played centrally when he used to play out wide ? If only Lanzini was fit to play behind the striker instead, or maybe try Anderson there for a game or two ? Anderson looks to me more of a creative Hazard, Ozil, Coutinho-type player than a winger.
  • I agree Pelle has to take some flak, but I'm happy to see Nasri in the team. What I found odd was starting with Carroll up top; it's at odds with how he's been trying to get us playing all season, and even more strange that Hernandez was brought on as Nasri went off; surely Hernandez would be much more likely to benefit from sharp interplay with Nasri in and around the box than Carroll ever would.
  • All been said. Typical West Ham result and performance. Why I felt so confident beforehand I will never know. I feel such a fool. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. Onwards and downwards. Huge fan of Carroll in his heyday, not for us anymore. Plan D at best. I still like what we`re trying to do, and when it goes well, I.E. a whole week ago, it goes very well. But it needs ballers and pace. Quickness of action and mind. Diangana and to an extent Snodders fill this brief, I have an inkling that Silva does to. In fact there were four players on the bench, given our current style, who would have been a better shout than Carroll. A bad day at the office, and Pelle got it wrong (imo). Bring on the mighty Wimbledon. Our year for The Cup. Please. ;scarf
  • edited January 2019
    I think this game showed that while Andy has unique qualities, he is just not now suited to how we want to play. We don’t put enough crosses in the box of the type he would get on the end of. Not to say that we can’t play that way, but we don’t appear to. I think Hernandez will now be the main man until this Arnie stuff is sorted & if there needs to be an alternative it needs to be Perez or Antonio up front.
  • Apparently we haven’t scored at all when wearing our grey third strip.
  • The obvious comment is... If you play AC then surely you play to his strengths. Whenever I've seen him recently hes come on near the end and doesnt really get in the box anyway. Its like a hold up chest or head half way between the penalty box and half way line type of deal.

I imagine he started because Pelle said Perez and Arnie didnt train well and Hernandez was coming back from being sidelined. I'd have played Antonio up front but hindsight n all that...

He probably took Nasri off when Hernandez came on because he probably thinks Nasri isnt up to 90 minutes after such a long time out. Trainings one thing but its not the same as match fit...
  • Apparently we haven’t scored at all when wearing our grey third strip.

Is it like the old Man U one where the players could not pick each other out as they kit blended into the crowd. I think Man U changed shirt at half time away to Southampton at the old dell

• Yes that would be the reason ;biggrin ;biggrin ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.