The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• How will this affect him though, having had this big money chance denied him?
    Will he knuckle down and perform to the best of his undoubted ability, or will he be in sulk mode for the foreseeable future?
    I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;hmm
  • From what Marky Mark has said, I think he has too much respect for the other players, and the club, to be anything other than fully committed, should he stay.
  • At 29 sulk mode is risky, he will need display current form to be able to entice another club commit large funds to buy him in the summer. Time isn't on his side.

You would hope the club and Pelle are able to man manage the situation and explain how they cannot allow his ambitions to be placed before the club itself in what is a brief transfer window, but are sympathetic to his wishes and would be happy to reconsider in the summer when we have the opportunity to replace, and of course providing a reasonable valuation is met. We would however hope that our own ambition would cause him to want to commit further to our cause at that time.
  • I really hope he is, then we can possibly put this behind us....well until the summer no doubt. I’m sure the other players understand, they know that the majority move around all the time. The only way I can see him having a positive relationship with many in the fanbase is if he really shows his effort in games and of course contributes to any success, but that may still need to be consistent and over a period of time.

Thorn I said from the start if you swim with the sharks.....the thing is, he stayed how many years at Stoke? 4? Haven’t we only just given him an improved deal? (Honestly don’t know about that?), he really hasn’t been here that long tbh

Aslef Of course it’s the agents job to get the best deal, but do we really think that Arnie has given his brother full power to do what he wants, I doubt it, Arnie May not of instigated it but he’s clearly interested in more money.

His brother saying to win titles was pathetic really, but it opened up the public to the fact Arnie must’ve indicated at some point he’d consider a more money move.

Fair play to the club on this, they’ve issued their statement and appear to of stuck to it, good for them.
  • As I have mentioned before this is bigger than Arnie, this is about Diop, Anderson and Rice going forward, about a message to them about how we expect contracts be honoured and to prospective clubs about how if they are our player we will decide the fee.
  • “Marko, I've been watching you all week. You don’t seem sharp in training. You’re doing okay, but it looks like your head’s somewhere else.”
    “Boss, I told you, as long as I’m here, I’ll give 100%”
    “I know, but I’m going to leave you out of the squad tomorrow. You don’t look all there, and if you miss a sitter like you did in training today, the press and the fans will have your head.”
    “if you leave me out, though, you might get fans forums saying they’ve had enough of me, and I’m on strike.”
    “Come on, nobody’s that stupid!”

fin
  • Just for the record, I cannot am glad that he is staying and I expect that we soon see his clear commitment to the cause, after all, once you get on that pitch there is nowhere to hide.
  • Just been on stadium tour with Carlton Cole. He was quite defensive of Arnie. He said a few times "you don't know what other issues he has away from football" could be the debt and gambling problems. He seems to think he will stay from hearing things through the grapevine.
  • Keeping a player who wants to move is a big risk, even though Arnie says he is committed to us and will give 100%

Let's hope he can get back to his early season form (and full fitness which I don't think he is) as he is still our best player

At least untill the summer

While we need to keep our best players, it is also important that we get good value for players who want to move on before they lose value
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46939626

Gattuso on Higuain is interesting. “Speculation disrupted preparations”
  • I noticed that too ;ok
  • It’s really not that uncommon, and a lot of the time players end up staying. The managers seem to often choose to leave players out.
  • Of course it would, which really puts the blame at Arnie’s door or Pelle’s. No doubt going from preparing with Arnie up top all week to a completely different forward style in Andy less than 24 hours before the game, must've influenced the performance.
  • Although Higuain is much further down the line to moving than Arnie.
  • lol 14 pages of ;hmm

;cheers
  • During my working career I,like many others,had many offers from rival companies most of which included a salary hike, some being a very large hike.It would never have occurred to me to not give 100% to the company that paid my wages even though I was talking to other companies.
    My head may have been elsewhere but my employers would never have known it.
  • I think that goes for most Slacker, I may not be remembering accurately but was it Michael Carrick who played a day or so after his Dad had passed away as he knew the game was important to us. I seem to recall someone did and received a most heartfelt round of applause from an appreciative crowd.

Your username must clearly be in jest as you couldn't have been that much of a slacker if you were getting headhunted throughout your career!
  • That was Jack Collison c&b.
  • Thanks Ironherb ;ok
  • Jack ;hmm I had a lot of time for young jack
  • Here's Jack 2 weeks ago. 20190120_204543
  • The press seem to be unable to decide if its Shanghai or Guangzhou.

or know the difference between their back side and their elbow..
  • Slacker said:

During my working career I,like many others,had many offers from rival companies most of which included a salary hike, some being a very large hike.It would never have occurred to me to not give 100% to the company that paid my wages even though I was talking to other companies.
    My head may have been elsewhere but my employers would never have known it.

Where as mine would.... Issues with depression and an often an inability to cope with stress can (but not often) effect my work. A Chinese Uni offers me much more money to move across the planet, my head would probably not be in the game.

• Suze, if you went to China as a Health and Safety officer, you would definitely not be idle.
    ;wink
  • edited January 2019
    ;biggrin True dat
  • edited January 2019
    ;biggrin

I have just this minute completed booking the trip to China for Mrs E and I. HK.

My head is completely and 100% IN the game.

;biggrin
  • edited January 2019
    via BBC: The ES is reporting West Ham have told Arnie he can go in the summer, but we won't sell him this window. If that means he trains with the kids, so be it (or words to that effect).

Edit: heres the link https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/westham/west-ham-transfer-news-marko-arnautovic-will-not-be-sold-in-january-can-leave-summer-a4044596.html
  • I was under the impression he loved West Ham (was it via Noble or Antonio?) so, if the move to China is off, why would he seek a move (as opposed to having his head turned by an offer). ;whistle He's already gone (mentally) for me. So even if he plays and plays well it'll get a meh reaction from me(h) ;whome
  • Good - I’m so glad they’ve taken this stance, it sends the right message. If he doesn’t like it off to the stiffs he goes....

This picture - they’re complete opposites

E53E5504-D15A-4400-A213-2FBC6BBA66CD
  • Well, ones quick and one isn't. ;lol