Nasri Signs. Until end of season and a 1-year option.

Comments

• Nasri is confirmed
  • Just saw that on the official Facebook! At least they haven't used Declans pay rise money!
  • edited December 2018
    Ideally we'd never need to look at short term measures, but we have, yet again, a crippling injury list so if he's ready to play, I can just about understand why we've signed him. My concern is that there have been reports that he can have a detrimental effect on the dressing room ;hmm
  • buffy

Pelle has managed him before, so I doubt he would have sanctioned the deal if there were genuine concerns about that.
  • ;pray Lets hope it works out for both
  • 80k a week he better be fit
  • ;hmm
    Am sure it will work out well

• I’m actually really excited about this. He was incredible a few years ago, and having had a ban that he seems to feel is unwarranted I hope he comes back hungry and wanting to prove a point. Deal to the end of the season is no skin off our teeth, either.
  • Ideally we'd never need to look at short term measures, but we have, yet again, a crippling injury list so if he's ready to play, I can just about understand why we've signed him. My concern is that there have been reports that he can have a detrimental effect on the dressing room ;hmm

Totally agree. This may be a huge mistake.
  • HammerDublin

I don't get why people would worry about 'reports' when he is being signed by a manager who has had him before, and who knows him well.

He may not show the form he has had previously, in which case we took a punt, and it didn't work out, but I really don't see how this could be 'a huge mistake', unless Pelle doesn't know what he is doing. ;hmm
  • edited December 2018
    I agree with Grey, sometimes u have 2 take a chance, I trust Pelle, even after I slated him after the first 4 games, he does seem to know what he's doing so why not give him a chance, a player he know well & a player wanting 2 prove a point..
    We are short of creative players with all our injuries, so I welcome him for the season and hope he exceeds expectations.....
    Only thing I don't like is his Elvis smile.
  • Until the end of the season, a previously very good player bringing a winning mentality. Has proven to the manager in the past and in the recent few months that he was and still is willing and able.

No big risk, imo.

If it goes well, we can keep him for a further year. If it doesn't work out, we part ways with no hard feelings.

Seems like a win-win to me.

Or at least not a lose-lose.
  • Potentially a good 1 season signing but it will be hard on Diangana.
  • I didn’t particularly want him but my thing is I do trust pelle and his judgment so I say go for it and good luck to him hope he earns an extra year because that will mean he’s done a job for us even if it’s only as a sub to unlock defences
  • I do agree about Diangana but also feel he has likely had more pitch time than even he would have hoped for this season already and the experience will have served him immeasurably. He looks to have great potential but still needs to improve to make the kind of breakthrough that Rice has. I hope he will continue to learn in training from the first team and get his chance as an impact sub with fresh legs and pace in the final twenty minutes of matches. It's also a pretty sure thing that even though Nasri has been training with us he will be quite a way from match fitness after such a long time out.
  • I now live in Manchester and when it was first muted that Nasri might sign for us, all the City fans I work with said he would be a brilliant signing for us. They really rate him. I'm going to trust in Pelle on this one.
  • It’s a no-brainier with Lanzini & Yarmolenko out injured.,
  • edited January 2019

HammerDublin

I don't get why people would worry about 'reports' when he is being signed by a manager who has had him before, and who knows him well.

He may not show the form he has had previously, in which case we took a punt, and it didn't work out, but I really don't see how this could be 'a huge mistake', unless Pelle doesn't know what he is doing. ;hmm

;ok The ‘reports’ I read say how impressed the players have been with Nasri’s work ethic.
  • Suze

;ok

I was thinking that. He's been training with us for a good while now, so any potential issues would have come up already. And since we've signed him, it would suggest there weren't any issues.
  • I find it odd that people suggest he can have a detrimental effect on the dressing room when he was in a successful Arsenal side and a championship winning City side.
    I’d settle for some of that detrimental effect.
  • Also don't think he'll be directly competing with Diangana

Always thought Nasri was at his best down the middle even in his prime, and likely he doesn't have the legs to operate on the wing whereas Diangana is very much a winger

I am not a big fan as I personally don't like our habit of giving good contracts to past it signings (plus his doping ban) but Pellegrini is our manager and he obviously wants him because he's been training with us the last month and he still wants him
  • edited January 2019
    Gives competition to Snodgrass & gives us an option behind the striker which we don’t currently have as Pelle seems to fancy Anderson on the left.

I don’t think we would be signing him if it wasn’t for the nature of the injuries to Yarmo & Lanzini. If one of those was fit or close to being fit he possibly wouldn’t be here. But if he impresses he will deserve an extension.
  • Champo

The doping ban was a joke.

While on holiday in the US he received hydration, in the form of sterile water and micronutrients, and was given more than the permitted amount (500ml instead of 50ml.)

The amount he received would have qualified for TUE (exemption) if he had applied for it, but since it was medical treatment, it's not like he could know in advance.
  • Arsenal fan I know was gutted when he went to city. Thinks he is a midfield gem. Here's hoping.
  • He can pick a pass, concentrates on keeping possession and can pop up with a goal.

Risk-free, and could be a real gem.
  • Lets hope he gets a run out tomorrow at some stage, should be fit as he has been training for a good while so you would hope he could at least manage half an hour.
  • ;hmm Don't think he signed in time for Brighton .might get a few mins against Birmingham
  • steve

Turns out he is available for Brighton, as he was out of contract, and signed before the Jan window opened.
  • Thanks grey ,guess I read it somewhere which turned out to be not true ,fancy media getting that wrong ;biggrin