Newcastle United (A); Saturday 1st December, 15:00

edited November 2018 in Match Threads
Carroll to score an own goal. Loss.

Comments

• The eternal optimism of a hammers fan ;biggrin
  • edited November 2018
    Yes, defeat number 8 coming up, IMO.

I mean, we could see another Everton performance but I fear it's more likely we'll concede first, struggle to find an equaliser and then concede again late on.

I don't have a lot of faith in our finishing, nor our ability to keep a clean sheet.

2-0 Newcastle.
  • Think we’ll win, personally.
  • Fabianski
    Zabaleta Balbuena Diop Cresswell
    Noble Rice Obiang
    Snodgrass Arnautovic Anderson
  • We certainly have the players to win this one, but it's whether they can all do their jobs at the same time.
  • I never have a good feeling against Newcastle. Especially at their place.
  • November 2012 was the last time we won at St James's, 1-0, Nobby Nolan, we drew the following season but have lost the last three trips.

A draw would be nice
  • edited November 2018
    Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Balbuena - Diop - Cresswell
    Rice - Noble(c)
    Diangana - Snodgrass - Anderson
    Arnautovic

Adrian, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang, Antonio, Carroll, Hernandez

Wilshere for Masuaku it he is fit to make the bench.

Not confident about this one. We never do well up there. We really could do with a win but it is always hard at St James’.
  • ;hmm that's our problem for years ,there not a good side yet we always find it hard not just there but most other places where we should be winning ;angry
  • How do you decide who we 'should be winning' against?

Away games are hard, for all teams except the very best.
  • We will smash the barcodes ;biggrin
  • They're above us at the moment.
  • So were Man U.
  • IMO Antonio played well enough to retain his place in team..
    Rest Diangana and then the same team as Luke's for me.
  • I'd play Diangana, there is no reason I can see to rest him.

He's played well and I was disappointed he was subbed on Saturday.
  • They are in form now & didn’t do badly at the start of the season, they just had tough games.

I think it helps that they are now a bit more relaxed. I think it would be a tougher game if they were desperate for the points. As it is they may relax slightly which may lead to a more open game. They have put some breathing space between them & the bottom 3.

They were put under pressure though by an average attacking Burnley side last night & at times it looked like they were clinging on. So they aren’t that great. They should have scored 4 though tbf.

But we do need to start winning some games if we want a more comfy 2019. So this is one we need to target for 3 points but as ever a draw isn’t terrible if it is paired with a decent performance.
  • edited November 2018

IMO Antonio played well enough to retain his place in team..
    Rest Diangana and then the same team as Luke's for me.

Was tempted but I just don’t trust him. I think he is too erratic in his play to be the sort of player who builds on a past performance & develops some rhythm/form.

I don’t think Pelle will but I would be tempted to start Hernandez. I know he offers little outside the box, but we are struggling for goals at the moment (excluding the Burnley game) & in a crucial run of games against more beatable sides, we need to get our most efficient goalscorer involved so that when we do create chances, we convert them.

Pelle doesn’t seem too fussed by clean sheet records, so get Hernandez up top, Arnie in the 10, Anderson on the left & one of Diangana/Snodgrass on the right, & let’s back ourselves to score more than Newcastle. If we get into a 0-2 lead we can then adjust & make ourselves more solid but let’s start on the front foot like we tried against City.
  • edited November 2018
    Must win game in my book.

Pellegrini needs to come through now and show why he is worth the mega bucks. He has had 13 games to see and assess the squad.

Need more from the squad than has been shown in the last few games.

8 massive games. and realistically all 8 are winnable and for the coach and squad we have should be 8 wins.
  • First goal will be massive in this game, Newcastle's defence can be got at if we play on the front foot .
  • I absolutely agree that we should start with Hernadez.
  • edited November 2018
    Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Balbuena - Diop - Cresswell
    Rice - Noble(c)
    Diangana - Snodgrass - Anderson
    Arnautovic

No wishing to repetitive but we have lost all five games (six including the League Cup loss to Spurs) where we played 4-2-3-1 so this formation is just begging for a loss.

5 of Newcastle's 11 goals have come in the first 15 minutes so we need to defend early on. On the flip side 9 of 16 goals they have conceded have come in the second half so even if they do score first we have a good chance of coming back from behind.
  • We played it away at Leicester, home to Burnley & away at Huddersfield. 5 points.
  • edited November 2018
    No we didn't. Snodgrass played as a CM because Obiang was injured at Leicester and Noble was banned for the other two.
  • edited November 2018
    Snodgrass didn’t play as a CM to me. He played ahead of the middle two. Certainly he popped up in & around the box in all three games on regular occasions. To me he played more advanced of Rice & Noble/Obiang in all three games.
  • Rice certainly played the deepest of the three, I felt Snodgrass and Noble/Obiang were playing "box-to-box".
  • 4 1 4 1 is the way to go and Arnautovic has looked good in the 10 role in the last 20 minutes of some matches.
    Fabianski
    Zabaleta Balbuena Diop Cresswell
    Rice
    Diangana Obiang Arnautovic Anderson
    Hernandez
  • Lukerz said:

They are in form now & didn’t do badly at the start of the season, they just had tough games.

I think it helps that they are now a bit more relaxed. I think it would be a tougher game if they were desperate for the points. As it is they may relax slightly which may lead to a more open game. They have put some breathing space between them & the bottom 3.

They were put under pressure though by an average attacking Burnley side last night & at times it looked like they were clinging on. So they aren’t that great. They should have scored 4 though tbf.

But we do need to start winning some games if we want a more comfy 2019. So this is one we need to target for 3 points but as ever a draw isn’t terrible if it is paired with a decent performance.

Could the exact same post be floating on a Newcastle board, but about West Ham?
  • Paul Tierney has been named as ref, he's been the ref six times for Newcastle, they've lost 5 and beat Barnsley. He's reffed us three times, all draws.

Wilshere will be available but no news on Arnie, apparently its his hip this time.
  • And hips don't lie unfortunately
  • Yes Ham.

Just yes ;clap
This discussion has been closed.