Everton (A) - 16 Sept 18 4pm ko - Match Thread

edited September 2018 in Match Threads
I thought I’d take one for the team and start this match thread.

Wins away at Goodson Park have been thin on the ground. Wins came in Dec 05 (1-2) then not again until March 16 (2-3). Last season we lost 4-0!

Will Dave make yet another defensive shuffle? What will he do about midfield and our lack of goals?

For me the starters should be.
Fabianski
Fredericks Diop Rice Cresswell
Snodgrass (2 who I’ve not decided on) Yarmolenko
Arnautovic
Hernandez

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Noble(c) - Sanchez - Wilshere
    Anderson - Arnautovic
    Hernandez

Adrian, Balbuena, Cresswell, Obiang, Rice, Yarmolenko, Perez
  • Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Obiang
    Yarmolenko - Wilshere - Anderson
    Arnautovic

Adrian, Balbuena, Fredericks, Noble, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Hernandez

Yeah rice ;ok
  • Hopefully we’re one of these teams who perform better away from home, I guess, judging by our first two home games? We looked quite frankly scared yesterday.

I feel like Cresswell up against Walcott is a bad idea. He’ll get in behind us constantly. It’s a good thing that Richarlison isn’t playing for Everton on the other side, though.
  • Everton have won one and drawn three, I'd be happy with a point.

No Richarlison which is a blessing.

Anderson needs to play centrally not on the wing.

We need Noble

Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Diop - Oggy - Masuaku (if available)
    Noble (C) - Rice
    Yarmolenko - Anderson - Snodgrass
    Arnautovic
  • Adam said:

I feel like Cresswell up against Walcott is a bad idea. He’ll get in behind us constantly. It’s a good thing that Richarlison isn’t playing for Everton on the other side, though.

Opposition forward players have got behind us continually regardless of who we’ve had in defence.

We have had four different defensive quartets for our four league games and the same problems persists.

• Of course, we’ve been defensively awful. Masuaku at least has pace to keep up with him. Whoever gets picked, we’re likely to be defensively awful!
  • We have the two fastest wing backs in the prem, I would love to see them set free. I would like 3 at then back with zab-Diop-creswell. Two wing backs (masuaku and Fredericks) with Sanchez and Noble in the middle. Anderson in a free role behind Arnie and Perez. We have Antonio and the Ukraine of the bench, to add some extra when legs are tired.
  • We have the two fastest wing backs in the prem, I would love to see them set free. I would like 3 at then back with zab-Diop-creswell. Two wing backs (masuaku and Fredericks) with Sanchez and Noble in the middle. Anderson in a free role behind Arnie and Perez. We have Antonio and the Ukraine of the bench, to add some extra when legs are tired.

Sounds good ;ok
  • Just can't see anything different than what we have already seen in our games so far. Need Reid / Carroll / Lanzini back for something different as i don't think the calibre of players in the squad at the moment can make a difference.

I expect Everton to coast this comfortably.
  • I would like to see a 3-5-2 formation but Pellegrini is too stubborn to change. 4-4-2 isn't working and hopefully he would consider 4-4-1-1 (or a 4-5-1) as we need a point (any point) to kick-start the season. I would like to drop Anderson (lazy) as a reminder that despite his price tag he has to deliver and can't coast, but I suspect Pellgrini will select him as he was his star buy. Cresswell was woeful and may be is not fit. May be two games in 4 days was too much for him. Frederick was poor. No one seems to organise the team in Noble's absence so would like to select him. So my choice would be

Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Diop - Ogbonna - Rice
    Yarmolenko- Noble - Obiang- Masaraku
    Anderson
    Arnautovic
  • I to would bring in Zabaleta and noble we need cool old heads now
  • I would like to see something like:

Fabianski
    Fredericks Diop Rice Ogbonna Masuaku
    Obiang Wilshere
    Yarmolenko Anderson
    Arnautovic

But no doubt it will be 4-4-2
  • Hard to pick an XI when Pellegrini himself doesn't even know

99.9% sure he won't go to a back 3/5 as much as I want him to

Really need something from this....

Fab
    Fredricks Diop orgy dressy
    Rice Sanchez
    Yarmo Wilshere Anderson
    Arnie
  • I know its stating the obvious (as other have said), but if you have Arthur and Fredericks pace and danger going forward, wouldnt it be worth at least trying it and showing a bit of tactical flexibility? Rocky, Rice, Diop, Oggy and Cressers are CB options and to be frank, we're used to a back 5. That potential solidity at the back will surely breed confidence into our brand new shiny attacking players at some point. Antonio, Yarmo, Anderson and Arnie are hardly poor players (not counting Hernandez as he isn't dynamic enough compared to the others mentioned).

At the moment, it feels like the crowd needs to chant 'back 5' to get the message across!!
  • edited September 2018

we're used to a back 5

Rice, Oggy and Cresswell might be used to a back 5 but Balbuena, Fredericks and Diop aren't because last season they played for teams that went with a back 4 (although Fulham did play 5 at the back against Bristol City once).
  • Well they could have 2 weeks to get used to it (or do a better job in a back 4) ;wink
  • .......................Fabianski......................
    ..........Balbuena..Diop..Oggie..............
    Fredericks......Rice..Obiang.......Masuaku
    .....................Anderson.......................
    ...............Arnie......Yarmolenko............

The middle four all have LEGS, should run and chase the whole game and get the ball FORWARDS quickly. Oh well. ;scarf
  • edited September 2018
    He will not play 5 at the back unless we have an injury crisis and it forces his hand. He is old and stubborn like our previous managers who take way too long before the penny drops. This time though I don't think the penny will drop at all.

#ShouldHaveGoneEddieHowe

I still don't get why we brought all this pace and just don't utilise it at all.
  • edited September 2018
    steve said:

I to would bring in Zabaleta and noble we need cool old heads now

Love them as I do.... what we don’t need now are players who are even slower.
  • Why on earth would Eddie Howe want to manage a team that has finished below Bournemouth two seasons in a row?

Even if we had convinced him to join us he'd have stayed for a season then got homesick like he did at Burnley.
  • Away win. No question. Bogey team who we never beat, surely that makes us stand out favourites away from home.

Are they growing this skunk stronger than a few years ago? I’m kind of enjoying everything at the moment. ;smoking
  • Think we need to get Rice (my choice) or Ogbonna into the back four for this one. Don't think we can keep getting away with playing a back four of which 75% has never played Premier League football (or 50% English football). Rice is also a lot more no-nonsense which I think we could do with too.
  • Honestly I think we need to give up with the idea of Rice playing in the back four this season. Pellegrini clearly sees him as a DM option and that's it. Whilst we may want to see him there, it just isn't going to happen.
  • Dave needs to play him there then.
  • Does it really matter where any of them play ;weep
  • Well if there was a positive to get from wolves was that I thought Diop looked very good, easily the best performance has had so far for us

Balbuena hasn't convinced so if one has to drop for oggy id say it's him

Maybe I'm wrong but before the error I actually thought Sanchez was one of our better players...likewise against Arsenal

Thankfully the players are so poor they won't be going to internationals so let's hope they can figure something out

Gonna go for 2-1 to us
  • Maybe I'm wrong but before the error I actually thought Sanchez was one of our better players...likewise against Arsenal

;ok

I thought he played well. He moved the ball about nicely and was a very good anchor point for our midfield. I thought during the game how he didn't look like the same Sanchez who played for Villa. But then right at the end he did...
  • I think Sanchez as the anchor with Obiang/Noble & Wilshere either side will help us. I also think we lacked a natural striker on Saturday, so would consider getting Hernandez into the 11 now, even if it means dropping Arnie into a deeper role.
  • I disagree with Hernandez in, personally.

I think Arnie works really well as a lone striker, but I think he needs the movement behind him. If Anderson and Yarmolenko (or whoever else) were closer to him then he would link perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.