International Allegiance (Declan Rice)

What are peoples thoughts ?

I'm an England fan but he has 3 caps for ROI. Unless he secures a move to a top 6 side i can't see him featuring for England much if he was to swap.

However for me on principle he has turned out for Ireland U16 onwards if i'm right ? and he has made posts in the past on twitter when asked the Ireland / England question.

He makes himself look a complete Twonk imo, probably all fueled by his agent and money. Its very sad to see.

Comments

• Declan Rice is considering a switch from ROI to England.

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45322004

Unless he's also considering a move from West Ham then he'd do well to stay with Ireland, IMO. West Ham players tend not to do very well as far as England caps go.
  • England have approached West Ham defender Declan Rice to try to persuade him to switch his allegiance from Ireland....

#Rice in a Paddy
  • I am disapointed if Rice has not responded to a ROI call up. They have helped him a great deal grow as a player, we saw a big change in him following his MOM wilst playing for them.

Does he want a bit part in an England set up or an integeral part in the RI set up. Its a no brainer for me...
  • Why on earth would Rice swap from Ireland to England, unless he gets sold to a top 6 team he isn't getting anywhere near the England squad. If he wants to play international football stick with ROI.
  • Maybe he feels patriotic ;puzzled
  • If hes being tempted for a future holding midfield role (assuming),his current competition is Dier and Henderson. Off the top of my head /i cant think of a DM his age with his potential. So I can see why England are sniffing around
  • If I remember right, he's changed his agent, and I do wonder if there isn't a bit of head-turning going on.

Rice had been adamant that he was committed to the ROI, even pulling up DG recently when he said he hoped to see him as an England player, so I really can't see what has suddenly changed.

As you say, Suze, disappointing.
  • Screams of some bad advice (well if you agree it is bad advice).

He’s obviously got someone pulling strings behind the scenes what with his contract rejection. Maybe he’s being told being an England international increases your chances of a big move?
  • edited August 2018

I am disapointed if Rice has not responded to a ROI call up. They have helped him a great deal grow as a player, we saw a big change in him following his MOM wilst playing for them.

Does he want a bit part in an England set up or an integeral part in the RI set up. Its a no brainer for me...

He hasn't been called up, M O'N says he's giving Rice time and space to think. All reports seem to suggest that England approached Rice about the swap so obviously Southgate thinks there's a place for him.

His first cap was against Turkey in March on the strength of his performances in his 23 first team appearances before that. He started the next eight games because Reid was injured.

The MotM award was a bit misleading as it was awarded by the Irish press but none of the Turkish players were rated.

Why on earth would Rice swap from Ireland to England, unless he gets sold to a top 6 team he isn't getting anywhere near the England squad. If he wants to play international football stick with ROI.

Leicester are hardly a top 6 team and Harry Maguire is one of the first names on the England team sheet.
  • It is a strange one, my money is on his agent talking up career opportunities if he is selected by England, IMO despite the rules governing international allegiance existing, such allegiance is driven by the heart and there really should not be a decision to make.

Easy for me to say given that there was never the slightest chance that I would ever be placed in such a position.

In a perfect world, seeing how the ROI gave him his chance and heightened his profile, he really should acknowledge that and commit to them.
  • Agent is the issue

Dec will come across badly whilst he is advising him
  • Given im half irish i am a bit disappointed.....but honestly its easy to comment from the sidelines

I feel he should stick with Ireland, but then again the irish team is currently so poor....and if he continues to develop into the player we think he may become i see no reason why he cannot make the england team and play at Euros and World cups....and at the end of the day hes more likely to win at england then ireland

This coupled with the contract situaion leads me to believe he is perhaps letting his agent be more demanding then he needs at this stage of his career

Difficult situation no doubt
  • Chicago, yes but he probably realises that ROI will never win any major championships so he thinks he'll have more chance with, oh wait a minute ;weep
  • Over the summer there were all the rumours that he wanted £30K+ a week to sign for us, and now this has happened. It does smell like bad advice tbh. His agent is probably saying “there’s england U21 players on £x a week”
  • Admin note: This discussion was here, plus on the 'Didn't know where to put it and didn't want to start a new thread thread'. So I've moved the comments from there to here, hence the sequence of comments might now look a bit odd.
  • I didnt really have much of an opinion as to whether Rice played for England or Ireland previously. I figure, first and foremost, hes a West Ham player and doing well for us is my selfish priority. However, after seeing the teenager being dug out by Kilbane and McClean (nasty piece of work IMO), I now actually hope he chooses England! Perhaps the criticism will be a catalyst to make his mind up?
  • I'm not sure if Rice asked not to be considered, or if MON didn't pick him to save him having to make a decision now.

Kilbane wasn't particularly having a dig at Rice, simply saying that he would rather Ireland had no success than rely on people who weren't 100% committed, and McClean simply agreed with him.
  • I didnt really have much of an opinion as to whether Rice played for England or Ireland previously. I figure, first and foremost, hes a West Ham player and doing well for us is my selfish priority. However, after seeing the teenager being dug out by Kilbane and McClean (nasty piece of work IMO), I now actually hope he chooses England! Perhaps the criticism will be a catalyst to make his mind up?

McClean is a nasty piece of work and isn’t in a position to advise anyone. He turned out for Northern Ireland at U21, and then switched allegiance to the republic at full international level.

• He’s just a nasty piece of work end of imo
  • Silly question perhaps, but where do his parents come from? Where did he grow up & where was he born etc..
    IMO when players use their grandparents etc to play for a Country it's usually they can't hack it in their 1st/natural choice .
    I don't know the facts so can't be 100% sure how I feel, but it does sound all a bit " about other things " than true aliegance ...
  • He qualifies through Grandparents (from the little I read about it today).
  • I'm not sure if Rice asked not to be considered, or if MON didn't pick him to save him having to make a decision now.

Kilbane wasn't particularly having a dig at Rice, simply saying that he would rather Ireland had no success than rely on people who weren't 100% committed, and McClean simply agreed with him.

Isnt that having a dig at Rice though? As he's the man in question regarding international loyalty. Maybe its the way I read/perceived it. Just seems like that to me
  • I guess it's shades of interpretation.

Clearly, Kilbane is annoyed at Rice, but for me, he wasn't having a go at him personally, so much as the idea that if someone has to think about whether or not they want to play for the ROI, they probably shouldn't be considered, even if it means Ireland have (even less) success.
  • How can at 15 having been rejected by Chelsea Rice think “oh I won’t play for ROI because England might possibly one day come calling’?

Killban is very critical of us as fans and our club, often with out any justification so I’ll not pay any attention to anything he has to say. O’Neil needn’t have gone public either.

Rice has a big decision to make, does he back himself and believe he can be an England international. Possible play in a World Cup.

Whatever his decision we as West Ham fans we should back him 100%.
  • The rules are a farce.

You should only be able to play for the country of your birth at any level.

Turning out for the country your grandparents were born in is, for me, is just plain daft.

At one stage all you needed was to have seen an Irish wolfhound across the street to be selected.
  • Or as in Tony Cascarinos case you didn't need any connection to being irish to play for them. ;lol
  • I expect most of us have ancestors who may be Saxon, Norman, Viking or whatever, then illogically most players could be eligible for any country so I agree with Suze. Country of birth only even if you were born whilst your parents were on holiday there.
  • Rice was born in London, he grew up in Kingston-on-Thames and went to Grey Court School in Richmond.

His dad's parents were from Cork and moved to England.

Ireland Have only been to three World Cups, 1990, 1994 and 2002, and they've only been to three Euros, 1988, 2012, 2016.

If he switches to England then he faces competition for a place, if sticks with Ireland he's almost guaranteed a place and he'll probably get to put his feet up during the summer
  • I expect most of us have ancestors who may be Saxon, Norman, Viking or whatever, then illogically most players could be eligible for any country so I agree with Suze. Country of birth only even if you were born whilst your parents were on holiday there.

Fifa rules are predicated on the idea of having 'a clear connection' with the country you want to play for (if it isn't where you were born), and this is clarified as

- your immediate (and biological) ancestors up to grandparents were born there, or
    - you have lived there for 5 years

My own view is that limiting it to country of birth would be wrong.
  • Country of birth is random, and outside the choice of the one being born.

My sisters were all born in Ireland.

I was born in England.

My oldest sister was brought up in Ireland.

My other two sisters and I were brought up in England.

Our eldest sister is clearly more culturally (and identifiably) Irish than any of us.

She is no more genetically or historically Irish than us.

I'm no less Irish than any of my three sisters.

It seems to me that if you are a citizen of a country, or eligible for citizenship, then you are entitled to represent that country in international tournaments.

I don't see how it could be otherwise.