Arsenal away 25th Aug, the battle at the bottom, can we keep it below 5?

14567810»

Comments

• Expat

I certainly never like watching us lose, but if we have to lose games, I'd rather see us do it the way we did yesterday, playing decent football, and having a right go.
  • Rein in your aspirations, there! Walk before we run, etc. Next is run before we pass, and then pass before we shoot on target.
  • I’m not writing the season off, once we get that win under our belts I’m sure we will fine and start to play with confidence
  • I thought we were better in attack yesterday than against Bournemouth. Pity a few golden opportunities were missed.

Defence and centre mid still needs work and I’d like to see Rice back in central defence.

• Grey,

I know, but it would just be nice to see a win, and soon
  • Well, Next up is Wimbledon, so we may have a slim chance of beating them. ;hmm
  • I may think differently from others, but the way I see it, we looked good going forward and created chances but

a ) we didn’t put them away
    b ) we let in 3 so more defensive question marks
    c ) against a pretty ordinary arsenal side ( by arsenal’s Standards)

So I for one am going to save any euphoric sentiments for a day when a good performance is actually backed up by points on the board
  • I think everyone is saving their euphoric sentiments, as far as I can see.
  • ;hmm not sure about that Mrs grey seems like a few were okay that we lost 3-1 to a poor Arsenal side .9 goals let in and only 1 scored from open play in 3 games is pretty poor .but for me the worse thing is lack of effect shown .when you look at teams like Brighton and wolves and how they work ,and don't tell me we still need time to jell that ship has sailed ,and is no excuse for work rate
  • I suppose it depends on your definition of euphoria. I haven't seen anything on this thread I would characterise as such. Encouragement, or moderate positivity, maybe.
  • Well when a post is opened with the following sorts of words....

“Much much better”

;hmm

I also don’t subscribe to the theory that a better performance than the last means the next one will continue on that trajectory

The things that are relevant to me right now are

1 ) zero points
    2 ) bottom of the table
    3 ) porous defence wth no progression from the previous two managers
    4 ) doubts as to whether the summer recruitment are going to address point 3 )
  • barracks.......are we brothers in another life because I seem to agree with what you say only you do it better then me ;hmm perhaps I was the more simple brother if you get my meaning
  • I think back four should be fredericks, rice, rocky and cresswell for next five games get them playing together and we be fine imo
  • barracks, well, wasn't it better, even much much better? I don't recall anyone posting that it was brilliant. ;hmm

Steve, where was the lack of effort yesterday? Do tell.
  • Herb

No, three goals conceded (none of them down to bad refereeing etc) does not make it much much better as an overall proposition but I guess it’s all about opinions.
  • Going forward it was better but unless we sort out our defending, we're going to be in big trouble.
  • Cuz1 said:

I think back four should be fredericks, rice, rocky and cresswell for next five games get them playing together and we be fine imo

Cuz I get where you are coming from, and you may indeed prove to be right, however I don’t think pelle can go with a particular defensive unit for the next run of games until he finds one which actually works - and I don’t think he is at that point yet, based on our start to the season
  • steve said:

barracks.......are we brothers in another life because I seem to agree with what you say only you do it better then me ;hmm perhaps I was the more simple brother if you get my meaning

I feel more humbled reading this than when Grey once agreed one of my posts (which must have been quite some time ago as I think I wrote something about thanking Sam for what he had done at West Ham)

However you do yourself an injustice as I find your posts perfectly well articulated as they are
  • Herb,sorry I just did not see the effort that some other teams seem to put in .Newcastle today with a makeshift team pulled together like there lives depended on it ,same with Brighton at Liverpool .
  • Chris Hughton’s teams work their socks off - full of admiration for him - he is a credit to the PL
  • ;hmm just seen we are the only team without a point in all four divisons
  • I don't worry about how many points we have after 3 games.
  • I'm more worried we won't have any points after 6 games. ;lol
  • Preston,

There is a real possibility of no points after the first seven games!
  • Possibility but imo we will have points on the board
  • We will get something against wolves and wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t get a point against MUFC

However if we don’t get anything from the first 6 games I’m genuinely not worried, Palace basically threw their opening 7 games last year and didn’t score, finished above us.

I’m gonna judge after about another 10 games and one third of the season, then I’ll start panicking ;biggrin
  • I’m gonna judge after about another 10 games and one third of the season, then I’ll start panicking
    I have agreed with the above but it will take an awful lot of sang froid not to panic if that were to happen (The zero from six part)!
  • Well, we have only won one of our first six for the past two seasons.
  • I agree that 3 games is simply not enough to expect a new team to integrate to their highest ability so another 5 matches will provide a picture more measurable in my view. The same applies to Arsenal however and I will be amazed if what I saw yesterday puts them anywhere near the top 4 this season.
This discussion has been closed.