West Ham v Bournemouth - Sat 18th August 3pm Match Thread

In the words of the 80’s pop star Yazz:

“The Only Way Is Up”

2-0 Irons

Comments

• I wish you better luck than me baracks.

Hopefully we won't be under as much pressure next week. If we can get the ball moving quicker and get them on the back foot we can get the win and get our season up and running.
  • 4-0 ;scarf nurse
  • 4-0 ;scarf nurse

Don't you think it would be better if you got back into bed now. The doctor will be around to see you shortly.
  • Fabianski; Fredericks Balbuena Ogbonna Masuaku; Rice; Noble Wilshere; Yarmolenko Arnautovic Anderson

I thought Antonio was terrible against Liverpool and gave Fredericks absolutely no cover and I don't want him in the team.
  • edited August 2018
    Fabianski
    Fredericks - Balbuena - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Rice - Wilshere
    Yarmolenko - Arnautovic - Anderson
    Hernandez

Bournemouth play 4-4-2, so I would just match them and hope we can out-perform them on the day.
  • Sounds crazy but I’d be tempted with Sanchez - he’s been bought after all. We don’t want to be trying him out v the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc
  • Lukerz - who gets the armband?
  • ASLEF - I’d give it to Arnie ;ok
  • haven't the past 2 season to, after an away game against the top 6 we have come up against Bournemouth at home or away the game after ?
  • Lukerz

But Nobes is the first midfielder on the team sheet? You would make the change after just one game v Liverpool away?
  • edited August 2018

haven't the past 2 season to, after an away game against the top 6 we have come up against Bournemouth at home or away the game after ?

2016/17 we played Bournemouth at home after Chelsea away and away after Chelsea at home

2017/18 we played Bournemouth away after Newcastle at home and at home after Huddersfield away

Lukerz - Arnie wasn't captain at Stoke or Werder Bremen and hasn't captained Austria. There were times under Bilic and Moyes when he seemed to drift in and out of the game so I'm not sure he's the man you want trying to encourage the other players when things aren't going our way.
  • give the armband to jack
  • edited August 2018
    I agree about Antonio and I'm not that happy with Masuaku either.

For this game I'd definitely want to see Arnautovic & Hernandez on the pitch together, with the later in his 'proper' position.
  • Suz - if Cresswell was fit I’d have him in, personally, but I don’t think he will be.
  • ;weep

Its not nice to make old ladies cry Ald.... ;wink
  • ;weep

Its not nice to make old ladies cry Ald.... ;wink

*clears throat* I’ll remember that for if I ever encounter an old lady on here
  • Smoothie or what ;lol
  • alderz said:

Fabianski; Fredericks Balbuena Ogbonna Masuaku; Rice; Noble Wilshere; Yarmolenko Arnautovic Anderson

I thought Antonio was terrible against Liverpool and gave Fredericks absolutely no cover and I don't want him in the team.

That's not totally true.

Antonio did cover back, and at one point made a crucial intervention in our box having stayed with his man from their half.
  • Is she talking about you Alderz?

• alderz said:

Fabianski; Fredericks Balbuena Ogbonna Masuaku; Rice; Noble Wilshere; Yarmolenko Arnautovic Anderson

That's not totally true.

Antonio did cover back, and at one point made a crucial intervention in our box having stayed with his man from their half.
    Ok, maybe slightly hyperbolic language, but I was unimpressed with his workrate
  • I`m not sure if Diop is left or right footed, but I would like to see:

..................................Fabianski...........................
    .................Diop.........Balbuena.........Oggie..........
    Fredericks........Wiltshire....Sanchez?.......Masuaku
    ...............Yarmolenko....Arnie.....Anderson..........

Bench: Adrian, Obiang, Cresswell, Rice, Noble, Snodgrass, Hernandez.

No chance I suppose, totally leaves out Zabaleta as well which seems a little unfair. We have too many players.

;scarf
  • Also forgot Antonio, although he`s still not emerged from that blind alley he was running up and down on sunday.
  • Stuart Atwell the ref for this game...( not happy!)
  • jay

You and 6/7 dwarfs, statistically.
  • Think jay way being bashful
  • alderz said:

Antonio has been terrible for a long, long time.
  • Antonio got himself around a fair bit in that game, looked like he had less pace then before. I think he should Just play upfront as a lone striker from now on. I would like to see Zabaleta in the anchor role, he has the footballing brain for it, and is quick over short distances. Would also like to Perez at some point.
  • Pellegrini wont change to a back 5 after one game especially given he used 433 every game during preseason

Fab
    Fredericks Rocky Oggy Cress
    Noble Rice Wilshere
    Yarmo Arnie Anderson
  • edited August 2018
    Although he did line-up his final pre-season game as a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 with Arnie & Hernandez up top. ;hmm

The only difference yesterday was Rice in for Hernandez, which you would expect given his lack of fitness & that we were playing LFC.
  • edited August 2018
    To repeat what I said on the Liverpool thread I can't find a single mention of Pellegrini ever starting with three at the back.

He played four at the back in China, he played four at the back with Real Madrid, he played four at the back at Man City, he played four at the back with Malaga and Villarreal even when he was facing tough opposition like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

I can't find any records of his tactics while managing in Chile and Argentina but I think its a safe bet that he played four at the back when he was there.

He plays 4-2-3-1, he plays 4-4-2, he plays 4-3-2-1, he plays 4-2-2-2, he plays 4-3-3, he plays all sorts of combinations of midfield and strikers but always with four at the back.

He's a bit predictable that way
This discussion has been closed.