London Stadium Season 3 (2018/19)

Comments

• I'm not sure we could get away with that Mrs. Grey, seeing as we crowd funded the whole stadium. ;lol
  • I've been on ST waiting list since Dec 2016. I got the call this week, I purchased 2 ST,s.
    So a wait of 20 months, not bad at all.
    Am now really looking forward to the new season. COYI
  • Great news heathrow. ;clap
  • Which block are you in Heathrow?
  • East stand block 232
  • Even the athletes get lost at the bowl ;doh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/44912045
  • Just interested Heathrow, just in case you were near to us, we are block 111
  • We chose East Stand cause it's slightly closer to Stratford station. But don't really know if it will make much difference, getting out. We got Band 3 option.
  • So that's gonna be 50 odd thousand people with the raging hump when we don't sign Messi and Mbappe...
  • So it was just that then, another rumour
  • Genuine question. A friend of mine is looking for 4 tickets for spurs at home on 20th October.
    I know this is going to be a very popular match but any advice on the best way to get a ticket? Or realistic chances of getting one?
  • edited July 2018
    If i cannot make a game for any reason can i pass my season ticket for that game on to family or friends.?
    The reason i ask is that after you have been through the turnstiles i have noticed club officials randomly checking tickets.
  • You can, Mike, but there's an official system for dong so https://www.whufc.com/tickets/ticketforwarding

It costs £1.25, and is straightforward for Category B and C games. For Category A games, I think there are additional hoops to jump through.

• I was listening to the Freakonomics podcast on the World Cup recently. For those who don't know them, their shtick is to analyse real world problems using the scientific evidence available and see how that agrees or differs from accepted wisdom. Something relevant to us came up:

(1) Home advantage seems to be almost entirely due to subconscious refereeing bias under the influence of the home crowd.
    (2) The statistics show that home advantage is halved in grounds with running tracks...
  • edited July 2018
    Have you got a link, Valiant?

I wonder if 'the scientific evidence available' is the same as 'ALL the scientific evidence available'?

Interested to see how many weaknesses (if any) we can spot in their argument ;biggrin
  • edited July 2018
    Oh, don't worry - I think it's this one? http://freakonomics.com/podcast/world-cup/

I can see a bunch of things in there that leave me(personally) unconvinced by the validity of the conclusions.
  • edited July 2018

(2) The statistics show that home advantage is halved in grounds with running tracks...

Well, that's what the podcast claims.
    ' In soccer, the home-field advantage is cut in half when the game is played in a stadium where the field is surrounded by a running track — that is, where the crowd is farther from the referees.'

But I don't think they've done a good job of backing that up, tbh, as we aren't given any other details. ;hmm
  • edited July 2018

(1) Home advantage seems to be almost entirely due to subconscious refereeing bias under the influence of the home crowd..

Well, that's what they say. But again, I don't think they have really made a case for that explanation.

They start off with a couple of ideas about what might account for the 'home-field advantage' and they find evidence to counter these. Than they just come up with an alternative theory, which is that it is 'refereeing bias' because there's a home crowd.

But that theory isn't fully tested.

(not having a go at you, valiantiron, just pointing out where I think the podcast folks aren't being terrible scientific) ;beer ;redwine
  • It is that podcast.

Their evidence base isn't too bad, certainly compared to a lot of arguments you hear made! It is limited though by the 'natural' experiments they have to find to look at other possible causes like players raising their game at home, etc, and reading across sports. They do generally discuss these issues though and basically admit it's evidence based speculation. ;hmm

It doesn't feel like we have half the home advantage of the clubs around us, although that would explain a few things about the last couple of years. ;angry
  • ValiantIron.

What do they say about the Flat Earth?
  • What do they say about the Flat Earth?

I don't think we want a third opinion from the social scientists on that particular issue. ;whome
  • I will admit the earth is flat if it means we win every home game. ;lol
  • edited July 2018

They do generally discuss these issues though and basically admit it's evidence based speculation.

;ok

That's probably something that gets glossed over a bit.

btw, I liked this little snippet right at the start:

One billion people watched the 2014 World Cup final in Brazil, roughly 10 times more than the Super Bowl. ;biggrin
  • MrsGrey said:

You can, Mike, but there's an official system for dong so https://www.whufc.com/tickets/ticketforwarding

It costs £1.25, and is straightforward for Category B and C games. For Category A games, I think there are additional hoops to jump through.

MrsGrey ;ok

Thank you for that information and sorry i didn't get back sooner.
    I have before let my son or a friend use my S/T if i cannot get to a game.Now that i have moved up to a (cough) senior and if they are stopped to have the S/T checked it will be obvious it isn't me and i do not want my S/T withdrawn.
    I think it might be best to go through the official channels from now on.

• We pass season tickets around amongst a small group of friends and family. But according to the rules you are not supposed to.
  • Suz, genuine question, not having a go at you - is there a reason you don't do it the 'legit' way? Given that there's a risk you could have the ST withdrawn?
  • I reckon most ST holders pass their ticket to a family member or friend if they cant go. I have friends who share a ST and go to alternate games. I don't know anyone who does it the 'legit' way.
  • MrsG

I suppose it’s something we have always done, going back to when the season ticket was a book of tickets.

If someone can’t go to a game then there’s always a niece, nephew or mate who can make use of the ticket. We don’t charge either.

I’m guessing one day one of us will come unstuck.

We sold our tickets via the ticket office once though, when most of us were on holiday in the States.