2018-19 Pre-season: training camps and matches etc (West Ham)

Comments

• 1-2. Arnie again with a Yarmolenko assist
  • Noble misses a penalty.
  • Better do that now rather that during the season.
  • 2 pens missed in 3 games, let’s get Southgate on the coaching staff...
  • Southampton losing 3-0 to derby
  • We are a bit porous at the back hopefully it will get sorted
  • Pellgrini hasnt figured out how to get us to defend properly....following the footsteps of Moyes and Bilic

But it seems enocuraging the football that is being played, the boy sounded sharp and with 3 weeks still to go till the opener most of the key players got 60+ mins today which is good
  • Champo
    ;ok
    So would you say our fitness levels at this point are better then seasons before?
  • Is it me or did Arnie look as if he didn't want to be there today.
  • I think a lot of players often look like they don’t want to be there in pre season games
  • Champo

Agreed. Some of the defending was woeful.

I actually don’t think Rice should play as a CB this season, imo. I think he should be vying for the DM role with Obiang.

Hopefully Pellegrini works on defending a lot.

Fredericks looks like he’s going to transform our attacking play, down the right hand side. Very impressed. He should link up with Yarmolenko well. I’m actually more excited about Yarmolenko than Anderson!
  • Cant wait to see Anderson line up next to Arnie and Yarmolenko

So much pace & skill

Need a new DM still....especially if Obiang leaves
  • Obiang looks a different player. Think it could be a good season for him, with people in space to pass to.
  • So, attractive going forwards, and porous at the back.

Looks like Pelle gets the West Ham Way all right.
  • I don't care if Arnie looks like doesn't want to be here as long as he keeps on scoring. Three in two sounds alright
  • Just seen the highlights, Fredericks look like an asset going forward and Yarmolenko can slow up defenders, interested to see him on the left.
  • edited July 2018
    Still need a DM badly.

Rice & Diop are going to need time to adjust &will naturally make mistakes because of their ages, which worries me. Our most reliable CB is in the treatment room. Ogbonna is experienced, but still makes gaffes. We are still going to regret not signing a DM.

I can see us being an attractive side which concedes loads of chances.
  • Unlikely that Rice and Diop will be our pairing. We still have the new CB to start with us

• I think with the right balance in the side that Obiang has all the skills require to be a good holding midfielder for us
  • I think Rice should be our DM, and two of the three, Ogbonna, Diop and Balbuena, make the CB pairing. Because of the injury to Reid, Rice was played out of position for the majority of the last season. It is about time we used him as a DM, which he is. When he plays for Ireland, he is our best DM, and he's been brilliant as such in all the international matches he played in.
  • Hammerdublin

I think CB is the position that Rice is most familiar with, so I don't think he was played out of position.

He certainly has the skill set to be a DM.
  • I just feel 4 at the back with two marauding full-backs is going to leave the central pair exposed almost constantly. I feel 3 at the back is still the most natural way to play with the players we have (and lack of a DM). One of Diop, Rice, Balbeuna is going to be our main central defender next season and given two are inexperienced in English football and two are under 23, it might be a bumpy ride.
  • edited July 2018
    With the recent trend of defensively playing a back 5, I wonder if Pelle will try it out before the season starts...

Fredericks and Arthur as WBs with Diop, Bazbuena, Ogbonna, Cresswell and Reid pushing for the CB roles

We could line up

Fab
    Fred Diop Bazb Oggy Arthur
    Yarmo Jack Pedro Felipe
    Arnie

Thats a dangerous team IMO ;footie
  • Dont think Pellgrini has ever played 3 at the back so it seems unlikely

But with the number of centre backs we have its an option

Think Cresswell will start at LB, given us a little bit of extra cover as hes less likely to bomb forward

I dont think we will start with Diop and Rice,as mentioned they are too inexperianced. Depsite being cheap I like what ive heard of Balbeuna, think he may start over one of the young ones
  • Ogbonna and Balbuena should be our main CB pairing, and Diop can be used when one of them isn't available. Rice often played as a DM at the junior level, and he plays as such for Ireland. Potentially, he can be our main holding midfielder, especially having in view that Obiang rushes forward more often than not. Rice can easily be an upgrade on Koyate.
  • I find it difficult to understand why Rocky Balbuena should be one of our first choice CB when no one has seen him play and more likely never even heard of him. Just my opinion of course ;ok
  • Well rocky as worked with Adrian before lol
  • There was an interview with Rice on the OS last summer where he said he was a DM at Chelsea but when he joined us at 14 he has played as a CB, and he said he feels he is a CB
This discussion has been closed.