Comments

• From Twitter

Club will release a statement about Andy Carroll and Winston Reid later

No source given. ;hmm
  • edited July 2018
    Surely wouldn’t announce them being sold. Or transfer listed. Would be all private. I reckon injury setbacks or sent home due to discipline issues.
  • Guy on Twitter who broke it says it’s injury related ;hmm
  • I reckon both are probably injured again.

One more year than Carroll is gone anyway I think his contract is up end of this season. a good 100k off the wage bill when that happens, shame we couldn't flog him previously.
  • Those two being injured isn't news
  • Assuming they are injured, this would be the first time where it won’t affect us too much. They’re not that important (first team wise) to us anymore. It shows that we’ve moved forward.
  • Ex says it's injury related.

Gossip and heresay ;wahoo
  • Not quite the "shocking" news that C&H was intimating.

So we'll be without Carroll and Reid for three months. Kind of assumed we would be anyway, to be honest.

If it means new players coming in that spend more time on the pitch than in the physio room then I'm ok with it.
  • ;doh I only changed my FF team name yesterday to 'Two Big Andies'. Gonna have to go back to Mid Table Mediocrities.

#andlikemydreams
  • edited July 2018
    So Carroll managed the one pre-season game before the standard surgery and 3 month lay off.

At least that rules Reid out from being sold this summer, giving him one last chance.
  • You couldn’t make it up!
  • I think we should buy Carroll out of his contract - realistically how many games will he play for us this season? my guess is zero full games
  • I like Carroll but have to agree with you Barney it’s not like we will give him another contract
  • For Carroll, it isn't a new injury, it is the same issue he has been having, which was clearly not dealt with successfully.

Whether that's because they had to wait to see how he responded before deciding on surgery, or whether the last lot of medicos missed it, we may never know.

However, the fact that the new quack has decided he needs minor surgery to strengthen the ankle does make you wonder why the last one didn't.
  • Perhaps he thought Carroll was riveting company and couldn't bear the thought of him not seeing everyday.
  • I really do like Carroll and Reid. However this is getting a bit like groundhog day (great movie by the way). We have to plan without them.
  • Honestly its not even a blow

I dont see it anymore as losing 2 key players as this happens so often i almost dont even consider either of them whe i look at our squad

Quicker their contract runs out the better
  • ;doh

So normal service resumes.....
  • I notice Pellegrini said we'd lost two players in key positions rather than two key players.

Bottom line is both we're likely to be on the bench anyway. Ogbonna was out best CB last season and we're not going to bench our £22m new signing.

Carroll would be 3rd choice centre forward behind Arnie and Yarmo, and that's assuming we don't sign anyone else.

As Champo says, I don't see this a blow, particularly. The only way it could hurt us is if we were banking on getting some money for them later this month.
  • Grey,
    However, the fact that the new quack has decided he needs minor surgery to strengthen the ankle does make you wonder why the last one didn't.

This perhaps helps answer that.
    http://www.whu606.com/discussion/comment/902589/#Comment_902589
  • edited July 2018
    Two years ago, losing Carroll, Reid and Lanzini would have seriously hurt us. With the business we're doing, assuming we get Anderson over the line, the impact feels considerably less.
  • I don't know if someone has already posted this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44814703
  • 1st post in the thread ;ok
  • We’ve had many quacks trying various things to put AC on the mend and none of them have managed to achieve it without him breaking down relatively quickly after. If this latest one manages to achieve it, frankly he should be knighted
  • baracks,

It probably doesn't help how he spends some of his rehab time! ;whistle
  • Sorry guys I know I’m going to get some heat for this but I’ve heard many times that Carroll keeps getting injured when in fact he alledgedly has a drug problem. I do find it strange that he and Winston suddenly come back and they both at this time suddenly realise they need surgery/are injured. When players have been injured during the off season they are usually told to stick around and have ops or continue rehabilitation. How is it suddenly a surprise. They’d have been running and doing drills for a while.

It’s just weird to me that this come to light now. Supposedly players that fail tests (and it must happen) at clubs are kept away from the league drug testers etc through pretending injury or through HR channels where they admit to being addicted.

Anyway who knows but it’s too often, timings are strange etc etc
  • edited July 2018
    D'you know what Sweepy, I do wonder whether there's anything in that.

Injuries that appear to happen at the same time and both ruled out for three months. I can see why people may have suspicions.

That said, if Carroll does have a persistent problem and his 'injuries' are in fact club-imposed bans/cover-ups, then surely we'd have grounds to terminate his contract and save ourselves £90k a week ;hmm

• Injuries that appear to happen at the same time and both ruled out for three months. I can see why people may have suspicions.

They aren't injuries that have happened at the same time. They aren't new injuries. They are pre-existing injuries which require further surgical intervention.

That said, if Carroll does have a persistent problem and his 'injuries' are in fact club-imposed bans/cover-ups, then surely we'd have grounds to terminate his contract and save ourselves £90k a week ;hmm

There you go. Some logic and reason.

• It’s just that I’ve also spoken to ex pros in the club and they all hint that things like this go on. No smoke without fire etc

Even if it hasn’t happened here it must happen far more than we are told about it across the game