Comments

• edited June 2018
    Welcome, Fab; let's hope he proves to be absolutely...

He's decent competition for Adrian, if Adrian decides to stay.
  • Issa fab window so far
  • ;lol ;doh

Welcome Lukaszerz ;scarf
  • Pointless signing again for me if Adrian leaves, no better than Adrian in my opinion and if Adrian leaves it means we have to find another keeper anyway.
  • Pointless signing again for me if Adrian leaves, no better than Adrian in my opinion and if Adrian leaves it means we have to find another keeper anyway.

We only have Adrian though don't we, I don't think we will be extending Harts contract.
  • Yeah but if we hadn't signed him then we would need to sign two...

He may be the backup for the new GK we will sign as Adrian has decided to leave...

We don't know, let's just judge at the end of the window...
  • I would be happy with Fabiański and Adrián. It's a step up from Adrián and nobody, and Adrián and Hart.
  • Or club could have given Adrian the backing and say the #1 shirt is yours until you underperform and then bring in a young understudy.
  • Or club could have given Adrian the backing and say the #1 shirt is yours until you underperform and then bring in a young understudy.

Maybe that's what they've done. Pellegrini seems to have the gift of the gab.
  • I have said im not a fan of this move as i think we will be have to search for a new #1 in a years times given his age

But yes here now hopefully he can be an upgrade over Adrian

Good luck and hope to be proven wrong
  • Yeold

And then Adrian gets injured first game, and it turns out the young understudy is far from ready.
  • For me, Fabianski is a massive upgrade on Adrián, so I'm happy.

I think that needing a new keeper in a few years isn't an issue, personally. If we signed a 25 year old who was excellent we'd probably lose them in a few years anyway.
  • Yeold

And then Adrian gets injured first game, and it turns out the young understudy is far from ready.

That's the risk that could happen.

Adrian isn't going to want to be here if he isn't going to be first choice.

I really highly doubt Fabianski would have come to West Ham to sit on the bench either. I don't see the club spending 7m on a keeper to be a reserve.

So if Adrian leaves and they bring in another keeper I don't think it will be to make Fabianski a reserve keeper. It will be a backup keeper. A backup that could have been for Adrian instead.
  • But Fab is better than Ade, all IMHO of course.
  • I would guess that the aspiration for 18/19 is for a slightly better keeper, combined with an upgraded defensive unit in front of the keeper - less injury prone too, with the overall hope being all of this translates into a significant improvement in the goals conceded column
  • I think Adrian will go now and we will bring an experienced but cheap back up.
  • Yeold

So there was risk whichever way the club went.

IF Adrian stays, we have two good choices.

A number of people see Fab as an upgrade on Adrian, so if Adrian leaves they will feel we have improved our No 1 keeper.

The club will then need to find a 'reserve' keeper, who probably won't be better than Adrian.
  • And I feel Fab is NOT an upgrade on Adrian....which is why I see it as pointless.
  • Yeold. But with Hart gone we needed a second keeper. I think he is, be it slight, an upgrade on Adrian, better distribution hopefully.
  • I'm not sure that he's an upgrade, rather a competitor for the position
  • Whitehorse read my post further up...on that.
  • Welcome Fab
    coyi
  • I love Adrian but, outside of the affection, hes hardly the safest or most consistent of GKs.

Fab is a decent Prem GK. and we needed competition for Adrian or a replacement for him.

Good stats (have a check on them) show, in a weak team, he still did well. I'm happy we've got him and, while hes 33, there's no reason he'll deteriorate over the next 2/3 seasons.
  • Boaz Myhil released. Someone like that.
  • Fab was Swansea player of the Year last year, ahead of Mawson. He is consistent, is used to pressure, and is Polish (I just wanted to get three reasons in, it sounds better) So he gets

;ok from me...
  • Personally I think he is more Polished than Adrian
  • edited June 2018
    He is barney more polished cus Adrian is spanished ; ;whistle
  • edited June 2018
    I’m not overly thrilled by this but........

Having spoken to a couple of Swansea fans, they assure me he is of high quality. One said ‘with all due respect this guy is a top level keeper, and has everything you need of a modern goalkeeper, as well as being a great guy’.

They both said he is the sort of keeper other fans won’t ever appreciate. You have to watch him every week to know.

So maybe I will wait to judge (sensible of me). If Adrian stays and they both battle it out, that is fine by me.

My worry was Adrian moves on and Fab is basically handed the number 1 shirt, and we bring in a second choice not as good as Adrian. I wasn’t sure, at 33 too, Fab was as dramatic an upgrade to sacrifice losing Adrian. But if we can keep both, I’m happy.

I’m sure he won’t let us down though.

Welcome Lukasz, from Lukerz. ;ok
  • For a goalkeeper to be player of the year in a relegated side must say something. Arsenal must've seen something in him too.
  • I’m ok with this signing as long as the bigger bucks are spent wisely elsewhere.