World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Comments

• England won’t beat any of the better teams. We struggled against a non tackling, non jumping below average players.
  • Pundits gushing about us as usual but we beat a team who’d struggle in our national league.
  • I chose to see the positives from the game.

A much better display than I’ve see in a tournament for a long time.

Well done lads ;clap
  • We made heavy weather of that. Really important cos we're getting nothing out of the Belgium game. And Panama v Tunisia could end up with 3 points for one of them
  • England won’t beat any of the better teams. We struggled against a non tackling, non jumping below average players.

I disagree, I think we can beat anyone. But we have to have the ability to change game plan. Tunisia knew exactly what they were doing, they played to their strengths and pushed us around. A young side can go that way, but they will learn from it and so will Gareth Southgate. Glad to see us keep patience and keep going. Could have ended 1-1, but we nicked it.
  • I wonder what the percentage is for England goals in tournaments, which are from set pieces. Most I can remember from recent times are from set pieces.
  • edited June 2018
    Many other bigger teams failed to get going against inferior opposition. Through whatever means England got the job done. Thoroughly deserved too. It was always going to be difficult in the second half with the humidity.

The only thing is, you always fancy there to be defensive ricket in stones and maguire so I’m not sure both should play against better opposition
  • Blimey. Pundits acting like we won the Cup.

We nicked the first group game.
  • edited June 2018
    Tunisia are a perfect example of why the tournament finals should not be 48 teams
  • That will be an interesting game because neither can defend but they can’t attack either.
    Belgium will bury Tunisia because lukaku will have a field day if they put crosses in. He’s taller than their defenders to start with so he will only have to go on tiptoes to win every header.
    I’ve never seen a defence before who can’t or won’t jump.
  • edited June 2018
    They are former England players.

They are happy.

I think that’s ok.
  • Job done.

Credit where due.

We won’t beat better sides? What better sides? None of them have won yet lol.
  • edited June 2018
    A deserved win IMO
    Against let's not forget the highest ranked team in Africa , above Senegal, Egypt, Nigeria etc..
    Kane has the knack where to be at the right time, Spurs must be havin a love in right now
    IMO Rashford should start in next game..
  • edited June 2018
    My man of the match was Harry Maguire. Never really rated him before, but I liked him.
  • I was quite impressed with McGuire tonight.
  • How on earth did Stones and Lingard get into the team they were beyond poor
  • They are former England players.

They are happy.

I think that’s ok.

Happy is okay.

But they aren't there as former players/fans. They are getting paid to offer expert analysis.

If we just want fanboys reaction, we could livestream twitter and save a few quid.
  • Lingard didn’t have his finishing boots on, so made himself look poor. Think I only heard Stones name mentioned once.
  • edited June 2018
    What are people talking about, we played some very nice stuff, second half went a bit stale. But we created opportunities, we didn't hoof ball, we showed signs of a genuine football team. I actually enjoyed about 75% of it.

Get Lingard on shooting practice with Sterling and Rashford and maintain that first half presence in the second half and we will be good. Maguire could do with a confidence boost looks a bit scared by the occasion hopefully he will grow into it as the tournament goes on.

Tunisia were total trash at least Saudi Arabia got over the half way line. Worst team in the tournament.
  • I think that’s a bit harsh.

You can’t exoect them to turn off emotion.
  • Gareth is the coolest man there. Wearing a waistcoat, and a blue shirt. He’s either wearing some serious antiperspirant or he has an air conditioned dugout.
  • Gareth is the coolest man there. Wearing a waistcoat, and a blue shirt. He’s either wearing some serious antiperspirant or he has an air conditioned dugout.

A German mate of mine mentioned that all he needed was an umbrella and a bowler hat. That would have made him archetypically British.
  • 16 more teams of the calibre of Tunisia, Panama, Saudi etc makes a mockery of the tournament. Surely qualifying rounds are meant to eliminate dross as far as possible or are we getting to an ‘every team has to be a winner’ mentality.
  • What are people talking about, we played some very nice stuff, second half went a bit stale. But we created opportunities, we didn't hoof ball, we showed signs of a genuine football team. I actually enjoyed about 75% of it.

Get Lingard on shooting practice with Sterling and Rashford and maintain that first half presence in the second half and we will be good. Maguire could do with a confidence boost looks a bit scared by the occasion hopefully he will grow into it as the tournament goes on.

Tunisia were total trash at least Saudi Arabia got over the half way line. Worst team in the tournament.

So you are saying we played well in one half against a poor team.
  • 'dross' that England struggled to beat, and Spain only beat 1-0.

FIFA rank 21.

Our definition of 'dross' is clearly very different.
  • So I need a bit of clarification - I thought the Greys’ allegiances were with the ROI?? Or is it only one of the Greys?... ;hmm
  • Look, it was quite jolly.But I'm not convinced ON THAT SHOWING w are guaranteed to get out of the group.
  • baracks

Just me, although Mrs G has recently discovered Irish roots.
  • edited June 2018
    MrsGrey said:

What are people talking about, we played some very nice stuff, second half went a bit stale. But we created opportunities, we didn't hoof ball, we showed signs of a genuine football team. I actually enjoyed about 75% of it.

So you are saying we played well in one half against a poor team.
    First 60 65 minutes we created chances, last 20 apart from the goal we didn't create much but were in control of the entire game, never looked like conceding.

Tunisia were a poor team and had 11 behind the ball the entire game. They tried settling for a point with Belgium to play next ? they might have just sacrificed their tournament with the most negative brand of football in this tournament yet.
  • No idea how FIFA rank the teams but if they are 21st in the world then there’s a big problem.
    They are extremely poor and cannot defend or attack with any intent.
    Spain may have only beaten them 1-0 in a friendly but I’m sure they’d have beaten them comfortably tonight.