World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Thoughts, musings and suchlike on our national team's progress

Comments

• ;scarveng
  • Has it gone to penalties yet? ;puzzled
  • Are we still in it ;lol
  • Sky reporting the side is going to be:

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire
    Trippier - Dele - Henderson - Lingard - Young
    Kane - Sterling
  • I like that side. I think Henderson is a really good pivot player in that formation. He has a much better range of passing than Dier, and in the friendlies in March he seemed the one who was more able to stretch the opposition and get us playing.

My only reservation with it is Young. In the warm up friendlies he kept coming inside to cross with his right and it was just very, very predictable.

But, generally, I like it, I'm happy with that ;ok
  • Just imagine England meet Germany in the quarters - and Southgate orchestrates a win. What payback would that be?
  • Pizza commercial contract on his desk already. Will film two different scenarios ;weep or ;wahoo
  • I’ve been listening to Baddiel & Skinner on repeat since 7am, I bought a 1996 kit yesterday, I am filled with dangerously high levels of unwarranted optimism. It’s coming home!

;wahoo
  • I binged watched, via youtube, their old shows recently ;biggrin

#Statto! Statto! Alderz! Statto!
  • Ald - I hope it's not the 98 version.
    The one line about the penalty makes me sick. Take that out and it would be quite a fit for 2018 - Gareth Southgate. The whole of England is with you.
  • Still my favourite....

• Lukerz said:

Sky reporting the side is going to be:

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire
    Trippier - Dele - Henderson - Lingard - Young
    Kane - Sterling

I would have gone

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier Dele Ali Henderson Rose

Sterling Kane Rashford
  • It's weird it looks like a weak team but you get the feeling that the game will go one of two ways with this side. Either it will be silky smooth and a comfortable win or we will just collapse. Pretty much like the England Cricket team at present.

Reckon it will be 2-0 but don't know which way ;lol
  • Match day! ;biggrin
    At last England’s World Cup gets underway. Feeling nervous?........ no, a combination of a result of unrealistic expectations at previous tournaments and I think a low key build up by the media perhaps? So if it does all go a bit wonky tonight I shan’t lose any sleep over it.
    Come on England!
  • Must read by Lukaku. How he set himself on becoming a pro when he realised his family couldn’t afford milk anymore. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/romelu-lukaku-ive-got-some-things-to-say
  • Munich

It's both, alternating.
  • Yeold

It looks 'weak' in the sense that there aren't many 'names' in there, but generally I think it's a strong team ;ok
  • I've seen that somewhere before... ;hmm
  • Got matching new red England away shirts from Mrs BBB for myself and new sonof for Fathers day. He is only 8 , but he's coming with me to the village pub tonight with all of my friends, and is being allowed to stay up past his bedtime on a school night. He is bouncing off the walls with excitement, and believes that we are going to win the World cup, because "England are better than West Ham daddy ".
    I'm going to stop being an old cynic, and start thinking the same way.

Come on England !!
  • Anyone seen the Match of the Day Video on the BBC / Facebook if England Won the World Cup.

;lol
  • alderz said:

Yeold

It looks 'weak' in the sense that there aren't many 'names' in there, but generally I think it's a strong team ;ok

I don't know Ald, when I look at our first 11 and compare it to the big nations. Ability wise not many of our players would dislodge or even make the squad of 23 in many other of the top nations teams.
  • That's what I mean though Yeold

'Names' wise, not many are knocking on the door of any other sides, but for the first time in a long time I think the team are more than the sum of their parts. We've had plenty of big players in the past who haven't blended, and the games I've seen in the last year have been different to that.
  • Lukaku seems like a nice bloke. You’d even forget be him maybe three of the goals he scored against us.
  • Well if we can't beat Tunisia comfortably with odds of 750/1to win the cup,
    we might as well come home.
  • Anyone seen the Match of the Day Video on the BBC / Facebook if England Won the World Cup.

;lol

;lol ;lol

For anyone who hasn't seen it
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44515740
  • Got matching new red England away shirts from Mrs BBB for myself and new sonof for Fathers day. He is only 8 , but he's coming with me to the village pub tonight with all of my friends, and is being allowed to stay up past his bedtime on a school night. He is bouncing off the walls with excitement, and believes that we are going to win the World cup, because "England are better than West Ham daddy ".

Come on England !!

It's always a nice moment when your son or daughter buy you that first pint. ;lol
  • edited June 2018
    IronHerb said:

Got matching new red England away shirts from Mrs BBB for myself and new sonof for Fathers day. He is only 8 , but he's coming with me to the village pub tonight with all of my friends, and is being allowed to stay up past his bedtime on a school night. He is bouncing off the walls with excitement, and believes that we are going to win the World cup, because "England are better than West Ham daddy ".

Come on England !!

It's always a nice moment when your son or daughter buy you that first pint. ;lol
    Iron
    In my Pub - he'd get served !
    If we see a copper around here he's lost ;cider ;cider ;cider
  • edited June 2018
    Just seen this picture of Lukaku at 13 on a Facebook football page, which ties in quite nicely with Grey's article. You can see why some of the parents were asking questions ;lol

FB_IMG_1529331399059
  • edited June 2018
    Looking forward to game later.
    No expectations and means less to me than the Hammers PL results, but still I'd love a win and good showing from us... ;scarveng