Pellegrini Confirmed as West Ham Manager (22.05.18) - already (September) there are doubters

Comments

• No ones going to hand the 20 million back are they come on lol would you
  • We’ll have to have a sweepstake on how many times Cuz can get the ‘Harry’s claimed it’ line into the threads throughout the season, he seems quite good at it. ;biggrin
  • Not a bad idea herb, but if he ends up at real with poch I will let it go mate
  • Deal ;ok
  • Oh come on cuz. Just because he plays in Spain doesn't mean Harry can't claim goals scored in the Prem. That would be ridiculous. Give him the golden boot for next season now and save yourself the hassle.
  • Pellegrini reveals ‘good relationship’ with owners:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/exclusive-manuel-pellegrini-expects-more-12658398

Slightly different tone to the earlier quotes.
  • Lukerz

Difference is attributable quotations in the 2nd, compared to unverified in the 1st.
  • Excellent.

So Sullivan retains the position then.

What could possibly go wrong.
  • Well we won't know until after the transfer windows shuts but I have a feeling that the phrase "We tried our best" will most definitely be used.
  • Seems sound to me if its true his signings last year were poor and his club were relegated. Nowhere did it say Sullivan was head of recruitment but surely we should go for someone who can do the job and not just appoint the manager's mate.
  • If Pellegrini wants Husillos then he should get him, IMO. If Sullivan is prepared to pay him £7m a year then he should trust his judgement, surely.

The fans were told that the club would be appointing a Director of Football to manage the transfer strategy. It now looks likely that we'll have another summer of Sullivan's antics.
  • Since when does the manager appoint the DoF?
    I was always a bit unhappy with this rumour, so am not too bothered that he hasn't got the job.

Having said that, imok the things that disqualify him from being DoF also disqualify him from being Chief Scout.

• The fans were told that the club would be appointing a Director of Football to manage the transfer strategy.

The Sun hasn't ruled that out:
    they could decide to ditch the idea of a new head of recruitment altogether.
    which implies the post is still up for grabs.
  • fullsizeoutput_608

I know we're paying him a vast amount of money, but I didn't realise it was because he was going to be the only employee at the club
  • Seems sound to me if its true his signings last year were poor and his club were relegated. Nowhere did it say Sullivan was head of recruitment but surely we should go for someone who can do the job and not just appoint the manager's mate.

I refer back to my comment from three weeks ago

Malaga has been in financial trouble for a while, last summer they sold three players for €33m and bought four players for €8.2m. In the January window they sold a CB for €1m, bought another CB for €0.5m along with four loans and three free transfers.

His signings last season were poor because he wasn't even allowed to spend the money he made from player sales!
  • Perfect for the role here then...

;whistle
  • exwhuemployee
    Just to confirm that the story of boardroom disputes with Pellegrini regarding Hussilos not being Director of football and him being chief scout are incorrect! He is set to be named D of F and club preparing a statement now ⚒
  • edited June 2018
    So it was all Trump - fake news!! ;biggrin

From the same rag whose headline this morning was "Great Britain or Great Betrayal".

;nonono
  • Allardyce on Pellegrini: “I’m not so sure that David Sullivan and David Gold realise what a manager like him would do. He will find the best players and want the best players to come to the club, which will cost them money.”
  • Allardyce on Pellegrini: “I’m not so sure that David Sullivan and David Gold realise what a manager like him would do. He will find the best players and want the best players to come to the club, which will cost them money.”

True

Insight only a football insider could give you...
  • But Sam gets the big bucks for preventing teams from being relegated. He’s rarely employed to win or challenge for trophies.
  • edited June 2018
    He was employed by us to win promotion which of bourse he did
  • And along with Nolan united the team who where shocking under grant, got them up at first attempt and consolidated them in the premier, another club who he left in a better position than when he joined but ay, what do I know
  • That’s not what I’m saying though is it?
  • Herb, I think it's is a bit of an urban football myth. How many teams has he managed, and in how many of those was he appointed to save them from threatened relegation?
  • So who has he been appointed to in the Prem who have not been in trouble?
  • edited June 2018
    Think Newcastle is the only job he got off season? ;hmm

Everybody else:

Bolton
    Blackburn
    West Ham
    Crystal Palace
    Sunderland
    Everton

Were all rescue acts in one way or another. One to gain promotion, five to get them out of a scrap. ;hmm

He's had 7 jobs in the last 10 years.
This discussion has been closed.