Pellegrini Confirmed as West Ham Manager (22.05.18) - already (September) there are doubters

edited September 2018 in Management & Board
This discussion was created from comments split from: The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait....

Comments

• Welcome

Really excited (tad nervous) about this

Hes a winner and its important he brings that mentality here...would love a good cup run

Biggest question for me is how we do with a back 4 which is his preffered line up

Lets hope the board back him and get the players he wants
  • edited May 2018
    Not convinced myself, he will need to be given a wedge of money to transform West Ham into a football team that he likes to play his game with. If the board back him properly he could do it.

Highest West Ham paid manager, good luck.
  • I am excited by this appointment. This is about as big a ‘name’ as we could have got. He’s good a very good pedigree, and could have gone to bigger clubs than ours, imo. Fair play to the board
  • Think we will seem more attacking football next season I;m looking forward to next season a bot more now. Just need a couple of decent signings DM and RB and I think we could have a decent season
  • We've just got to hope that the Board back him, surely he wouldn't have come without some cast iron guarantees on that front.
  • We've just got to hope that the Board back him, surely he wouldn't have come without some cast iron guarantees on that front.

I was about to post well done to the board for delivering,now they need to give him the best budget and say go on prove to us your worth every penny we pay you, I know I’m an optimist but I can’t see why we can’t hit top eight and that should be our aim
  • I should add that, as much as I slag off the board, they've done well getting Pellegrini in, and getting him in quickly. Credit where it's due.
  • The very best we could have wished for. Much rather Pellegrini than Rafa, just something about Rafa I`m not sure about. Looking forward now to the transfer window and next season. Mad fool. And good luck to Moyes. ;footie
  • What is that shirt he's holding? ;hmm

PellShirt726_2
  • Ooooo, next seasons home shirt? ;hmm
  • From the Beeb... Welcome to WH..

Of course most of us first became aware of Manuel Pellegrini when he became Manchester City boss.

He enjoyed the fifth highest win percentage in Premier League history during his three years in charge at the Etihad stadium, and signed Kevin De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling and Nicolas Otamendi in 2015

He also led City to Premier League glory in 2013/14, becoming the first coach from outside of Europe to win the title, and also lifted the League Cup in the same season.

City finished that campaign having scored 151 goals in all competitions – still an English record.

Not bad eh!?
  • New manager new kit 2 in 1
  • Nice picture.... ;lol something in his eye....

F12A9C5F-670B-4A3F-8DFB-B59F0F957FFD
  • Interestingly lack of blue on the shirt

And damn sully is looking old
  • another Sully South American special

Pellegrini Out

;biggrin
  • Looks Pellegrini is already having to arm wrestle Sullivan to get some transfer funds lol
  • Re the kit, not getting my hopes up, but it looks like it might be a winner already
  • Interestingly lack of blue on the shirt

And damn sully is looking old

Sulley's age and recent illness was being discussed elsewhere recently. Its a bit worrying that we are a heartbeat away from being run by Jack Sullivan.... ;hmm
  • A good signing if he gets the funds needed to improve the team. He needs to get rid of quite few players as well. Otherwise he will have as much luck as our other managers of recent years .
    Thought David Moyes did a good job with what he was given and the awful atmosphere surrounding the club.
  • Think the board realised they needed to up the anti, give him the funds and get shot of Brady and then jobs a good un
  • I think its great that Peter Capaldi has found a job after Doctor Who......
  • I agree with those who think that Pellegrini, before he signed on those large wages, must've clarified a TF (mmmmm TFs) kitty... Although something that makes logical sense and West Ham ;hmm I nearly got carried away too soon there ;wahoo

# optimistic
  • Welcome Manuel , always thought it would be Rafa when Moyes went.

However I'm happy with this appointment, as already said, let's hope he gets the backing now..

But a interesting choice and I look forward to see how it unfolds...
  • Well, it's certainly not a 'safe/steady the ship' appointment.

I'm sure he will bring in new players, but find the argument that without a big change in the squad he will do no better than recent managers concerning.

If he isn't capable of getting our current squad better organised, and playing well more consistently, then I don't see why he got the job.

Surely the idea is that he is a better coach than the likes of Moyes or Slav, not simply better provided he gets a fat wedge of money to buy better players?

I'd like to hope that even without additions, Pellegrini was good enough to get us to 10th+.

• Great to get it sorted and very well done to sully who has delivered upon his words

He needs properly backing though. Don’t want to see him being landed with Yaya and Nasri
  • I'm sure that it will have a positive motivational effect on the current squad. To be able to say that they are playing in a Pellegrini team has a bit more cachet than a Moyes one IMO.

I just hope he gets the funding for a DM (Dendonker, Carvalho ANO)/RB (no clue)/ and a back up striker if Hernandez goes. He likes to play a 4-2-2-2, so 2 up front looks a possibility, and he knows Rondon well, a cheeky punt ??
  • I reckon Hernandez might want to stay because Pellegrini plays with two up front
  • ASLEF ;ok

Reckon Lanzini is more likely to hang around under Pellegrini, too
  • Well, it's certainly not a 'safe/steady the ship' appointment.

I'd like to hope that even without additions, Pellegrini was good enough to get us to 10th+.

You seriously believe that ?

So if every other squad the in PL expanded and brought in new players, you think with Zero additions (with Mario and Harts Loans ended) you think he could coach us to the top 10.

I think there is a reason why certain managers ask for transfer budgets and its not necessarily because their coaching skills are poor...
This discussion has been closed.