England Squad World Cup 2018

Official England Squad announced.

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham)

Comments

• Not included in England squad (rightly so imo)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44132401
  • edited May 2018
    I’m not surprised with Hart doesn’t deserve to be there.

But also no Wilshere it seems, I’m surprised about that...
  • edited May 2018
    I think that regarding Hart and Wilshere it has been the case of the 'Emporers new clothes'.
    Their ability and form was not keeping pace with their reputations.
  • I don't think that Joe hart should go to the World Cup after some of his performances this season. However in a sense of fairness. Stoke let in 68 goals this season and were relegated so Butland hasn't exactly had a fantastic season and as for Pickford. His display against us for Everton in our final game was one of the worst performances by a goalkeeper I have ever seen. If the England team is being picked fairly I wouldn't take Butland , Pickford or Hart!!!!!!
  • edited May 2018

Stoke let in 68 goals this season and were relegated so Butland hasn't exactly had a fantastic season and as for Pickford. His display against us for Everton in our final game was one of the worst performances by a goalkeeper I have ever seen. If the England team is being picked fairly I wouldn't take Butland , Pickford or Hart!!!!!!

Presumably Southgate is basing it on more than 1 game in the season.

Butland has made more saves than Hart, Pickford or Pope and also has the 2nd best saves per shot % .
  • Also hart played only 19 games half of Pickford.

I would like the stats based on time on the pitch.
  • edited May 2018
    https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison

Have at it ;ok

Or you could just multiply the 'appearances' by 90m for a 'near-enough' comparison.
  • thanks but i didn't mean you had to get them for me... ;biggrin ;hug
  • Midfield looks horribly weak.

And, all club bias aside, would have taken Carroll over Welbeck all day long.
  • How is welbeck always there.....hes played less than half of the available games....

Not too many shocks, wouldve perosnally gone for Shelvey as thy MF lacks quality on the ball with the absense of Wilshere and Ox

Sterling arguably the only winger in the team
  • Think the 10 defenders 5 midfielders definitely means we are playing 3 at the back with wingbacks.
  • How is welbeck always there.....hes played less than half of the available games....

Besides the PL he had another 10 appearances in the Europa League.
  • Danny Rose, Gary Cahill & Danny Welbeck can consider themselves lucky.........they play for a top 6 team IMO ;doh
  • edited May 2018
    So 3 at the back with WB will be the formation.

Delph and Young can play in a couple of positions.

TBH I would only question a couple of the choices but about the best he could pick I think.

At least no Rooney...
  • Pickford should have been dropped after his display against us alone.

for example- Arnie's goal went straight through him and our third goal he flapped at it so weekly it was embarrassing for him.

Also who is to say how easy the saves were that each keeper made and also it is going to be obvious that Butland made more saves than most (but he let in more than most as well) . He played for a relegated team.

It is not the number of saves you make it is the difficulty and importance of them that makes you a good keeper.
  • Doesn't matter who is between the sticks really there will always be an England Gaffe at a major tournament when it comes to the keeper.
  • edited May 2018

Doesn't matter who is between the sticks there really as there will always be an England Gaffe at a major tournament when it comes to the keeper.

That's more like it ;biggrin
  • Phil Jones? Played 3 games since January.
  • Danny Rose is likely to end up at Man Utd next season.
  • Welbeck, though. In what situation is he going to play? He's 4th choice striker. He's only going to play from the bench. Why not have a player that can actually make an impact. A Plan B. A human siege tower.

Carroll may not be the most graceful footballer, but I'd have him in every competitive England squad.
  • AC gets slaughtered for never being fit now you want him to play an out of season tournament as well. Referees take him to task over here so in the World Cup he wouldn't stand a chance.
  • Iron herb he’s never injured out of season ;whistle
  • edited May 2018
    Good point well made. ;lol
  • IronHerb said:

AC gets slaughtered for never being fit now you want him to play an out of season tournament as well. Referees take him to task over here so in the World Cup he wouldn't stand a chance.

From an England point of view, yes, I'd want him to go. If you're going to have a 4th choice striker I'd rather it be someone who can actually influence a game from the bench. What does Welbeck do that the other three strikers can't?

The referees may target him, but I know I'd rather take that risk than looking to Welbeck to go and bully a tiring defence.
  • Re-England world cup squads since 1950, the clubs who have had the most
    players representing England are Man Utd 42, Spurs 36, Liverpool 34, Chelsea, 23
    Arsenal 22, and in 6th place is West Ham.
    Please Note: West Ham actually won the cup in 1966. ;biggrin
  • What's everyone starting line up for England's first game versus Tunisia ?

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier Henderson Ali Alexander-Arnold

Sterling Kane Rashford
  • Butland

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier Dier Alli Rose

Sterling Kane Rashford

• Not the England team
    But our very own little gem has made the cut ;bowdown
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/may/21-may/lanzini-selected-argentinas-world-cup-squad
  • Not the England team
    But our very own little gem has made the cut ;bowdown
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/may/21-may/lanzini-selected-argentinas-world-cup-squad

Another £10m on the asking price

IMG_20180521_174838
  • Doctor evil lol