The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• edited April 2018
    deehammer said:

She said that we should be able to attract top class players with a larger capacity ground
    Is it the board's fault that we couldn't?

Its the boards fault for saying it because its absolute nonsense.

If the key to attracting top class players was a big stadium then Queen's Park would be the most successful club in Scottish football history and Charlton Athletic would have been a top flight club up until 1985
  • Unless Brady was meaning with a bigger stadium and increased revenue from larger capacity? Either way it didn’t really happen.
  • Moyes must leave at the end of the season ...
    If he stays tbh I'll be gutted, even tho I will give the team and him
    My support while he is here.. when he was mentioned before joining I thought it was really a sick joke.
    While he has done sort of ok but certainly no more , we are still in a relegation battle & he IMO is not the person to be our manager next season, regardless of our league we in.
    It'll be a thanks & cheers for me
  • I’d have to agree Jay

We limply went out of the carabao cup

We were humbled in the FA cup

The defefensive record since he joined is not a lot better than slav’s

His win percentage is in the 20s and lower than both Macari and grant

I’m struggling to see a compelling case for keeping him beyond this season
  • The compelling case for keeping him is that there doesn't seem to be anyone better who wants the job

Wigan also humbled Bournemouth and Manchester City with Aguero in the starting XI
  • Careful what you wish for. In terms of owners, my pal is in bits because his beloved Sunderland wished for a new owner in 2009 and got... Short and two relegations in a row. So plenty of people have good reason to wish for a(nother) new manager... you see where I'm going. I think Moyes needs a complete season. But I'm really definitely absolutely not looking forward to it. ;weep
  • We have no idea who may or may not be available come 1 June. The fact that there may not be anyone available on 23rd April is completely irrelevant IMO
  • Urgh, there’s so much confusion surrounding this issue, IMO. I mean, statistically, he is the worst manager we’ve had (in terms of win percentage, at least), and the football under him has been safe to say the least. But is it fair to judge him based on two-thirds of a season, using an inherited squad, where survival is the sole objective? At times I’ve thought ‘no’ and believed he deserves a summer transfer window and pre-season to see how he does.

But then I think about January and, IMO, how dreadful our transfer window was. If Mario and Hugill were his signings and they were all he thought was required, then I’d have to question his judgement. Mario has been very beige, and Hugill has played, what, twelve minutes of competitive football? Hardly a ringing endorsement of his scouting abilities.

But then I wonder whether these were ‘board’ signings (the very fact that Hugill has played so little is steering me towards this view), which then makes me question Moyes’ ability to fight his corner and demand more. Maybe with a permanent contract he will. But then again, maybe he is just the kind of ‘yes man’ that some suggest Sully wants.

Following the Saints and Chelsea games I was happy for Moyes to be given a longer contract. After Stoke I wasn’t sure. After Arsenal I’m almost too fed up to care.

I see a lot of names being bandied about on social media as preferred managers; Benitez (70% of Ex’s followers have voted for him in a Twitter poll), and I’ve seen Howe, Dyche, Wenger, Wagner, Jokanovic, Silva, Rodgers and Pellegrini all mentioned. Problem being, how many would give up their current jobs for West Ham? And of those not working right now, how many would actually want the job given our form over the last couple of seasons and the negativity surrounding the club?

I think he’ll stay. Would I be happy with that? Probably not, as it stands. But who knows, given a competitive budget and a chance to build his own squad, maybe we’ll see an upturn in performances and results and it’ll prove to be a good appointment.
  • I don't think it matters who we bring in, this is West Ham, we're destined to never to anything. I was thoroughly fed up a few years before the season Payet came. He arrived and with a few additions we looked really good. Then the next season we went back to being decidedly average again. Right now I really couldn't careless what happens this season or next.
  • edited April 2018
    I really care about this season, the now, it’s been a season of some good football and in the main dire especially how we seem to concede so many goals in double quick time having supported them all my life and I’m 55 soon I can’t just give up that easily but I don’t want relegation at any cost stay up then my dreams can start again for next season again COYI
  • Or should I say misplaced dreams
  • edited April 2018
    IMO Moyes has had a decent time
    To prove his worth... & simply At best IMO The jury is still well out...
  • If the Dave's had anything about them they will have been scouting the manager market ever since Moyes got the temporary position until the summer. They should still be looking and I expect they are, and I hope they have a No.1 candidate whether that be Moyes or somebody else.

Personally, I think the outstanding candidate is Rafa. He has a year to go on his contract, has documented his unhappiness at the money he's been given and has worked wonders with what looked a Championship squad on paper and achieved great things in just over two seasons with Newcastle. He has big club pedigree and plenty of PL experience. He would require compensation though. But I would be asking Newcastle and going all out to get him.

Failing that there are plenty of alternatives. Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche, David Wagner, Marco Silva, Slavisa Jokanovic, Brendan Rodgers; again none of them would be easy and all in jobs bar one, but I think a change of policy in identifying a target who is sought after or wanted elsewhere gives you an idea that they are a reasonable candidate, as opposed to plucking one from the same names in that 'out of work' zone.
  • Lukerz said:

Personally, I think the outstanding candidate is Rafa. He has a year to go on his contract, has documented his unhappiness at the money he's been given and has worked wonders with what looked a Championship squad on paper and achieved great things in just over two seasons with Newcastle. He has big club pedigree and plenty of PL experience. He would require compensation though. But I would be asking Newcastle and going all out to get him.

But why would Rafa come here if he's unhappy with the money he's been given at Newcastle? We haven't spent anything at all (net) over the last 3 windows.
  • I think its fairly obvious that S&G's no.1 choice would be Rafa but I don't think he'd consider West Ham as a better prospect than Newcastle and now he's being linked with Arsenal.

To be brutally honest I don't think any current Premier League manager or Championship manager with a chance of promotion would consider West Ham as a better prospect than where they already are.

Well, maybe Sparky Hughes......
  • Chuck a large wedge at Eddie Howe and don't look at him.
  • Chuck a large wedge at Eddie Howe and don't look at him.

• I’d chuck a large wedge at hart and get him out
  • He'd drop it though. ;biggrin
  • edited April 2018
    What about Wenger? ;hmm

Bet you any money the Dave's will ask the question.

In all honesty, I would prefer a different choice to Moyes, but I still believe that if we get the infrastructure of the club right, the recruitment and the scouting sorted, and have a good summer window, Moyes will do more than a good enough job next season. ;ok

Assuming the damage isn't already done for this.
  • edited April 2018
    I'd take Wenger in a heartbeat. He has said this week that he wants to carry on, so you never know.

Moyes could do a good enough job next season. But I'm fairly sure Wenger would do a better one.
  • Wenger for the England Job when Southgate crashes out.
  • The timing suggests a national team fits for Wenger. No way would he manage another club in the PL.
  • On this side of the channel the story is Wenger will become director of football at PSG.
  • Well that was a short-lived.

Back to the world of dreams.
  • Sorry OCS...

It's just a story, the Davids may be using it as a smoke screen... ;hmm ;dog
  • Sorry OCS...

It's just a story, the Davids may be using it as a smoke screen... ;hmm ;dog

To hide it when we sign Messi and Ronaldo ;lol
  • Is it season ticket renewal time again ? ;biggrin
  • I pay half price for my ST next season so only expecting 'half good' players to be signed. ;biggrin
  • ;weep

Louis van Gaal when talking about returning to management: “I have an offer that I almost can’t refuse.”
This discussion has been closed.