West Ham vs Southampton (H) Match Thread 31.03.18

edited March 2018 in Match Threads
Its do or die. 3 points against the saints and 3 points against the potters and even that might not be enough.

It might be a game played behind closed doors. The stakes are high premiership survival on the line.

A loss or a draw and West Ham maybe staring down the proverbial barrell of the gun. West Hams 9 lives are used up.

What is your 11 to save us from the drop or go out with a bang?

Comments

• still nearly 2 weeks before we play them .who knows who will be injured before then ;biggrin
  • And it's already been confirmed it won't be played behind closed doors.
  • Well today will give a boost to Southampton and their confidence. They may well be galvanised (at least for the short term) under Hughes which could spell trouble for us
  • Wouldn't it be ironic if Sparky Marky, after beating Wigan to progress in the FA Cup, actually 'does a Wigan'. ;biggrin
  • Well yes, that’s one way of looking at it ;lol
  • MrsGrey said:

And it's already been confirmed it won't be played behind closed doors.

What punishment did the FA give the club ?
  • They haven't even charged them.

But even if they do, the sanctions available and precedent about how these have been applied make it extremely unlikely it will require games to be played behind closed door.

They didn't even impose that sanction when there was fighting between rival fans.
  • Wigan Athletic didn't have their games played behind closed doors when their invaded the pitch after their game with Man City. In fact one of their fans got into a fight with Aguero. Now you can argue that happened at the end of the game but there were a lot more fans on the pitch.
  • ---------- Adrian -----------
    Collins Ogbonna Cress
    Antonio Rice Kouyate Noble Masuaku
    ----------- Lanzini --------
    ------------ Arnie ----------

Give Antonio freedom to bomb forward. We can give him a little less defensive responsibility with Rice filling in to cover his position when necessary (and still having Kouyate and Noble in the middle).
  • IF we want to win matches then lets play Hernandez from the start instead of bringing him on when we have a hole we need to dig ourselves out of.
  • Playing chicharito is a no brainer

We need to fly out of the blocks and need a positive side to do this

Adrian
    Collins Oggy Cress
    Antonio cheikh lanzini noble arthur
    Arne Chicharito
  • Just so long as the squad doesn’t include Joe Hart i’ll be more comfortable......
  • After 5th round win against West Brom:
    Draw with Burnley

After 4th round win against Watford:
    Draw with Brighton

After 3rd round win against Fulham:
    Draw with Watford

• Adrian
    Rice - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Antonio - Noble - Kouyate - Lanzini - Masuaku
    Chicharito - Arnautovic
  • May just be a coincidence but often when we play Chicharito, we find ourselves losing the battle in midfield and/or struggling to get the ball up to the striker(s) to fashion some chances.
  • edited March 2018
    Well I hope they are practising passing to each other whilst they are in Miami and then spend the next two weeks back at Rush Green practising to passing to each other some more. We might then see a different result when we play Southampton.
  • Well I hope they are practising passing to each other whilst they are in Miami and then spend the next two weeks back at Rush Green practising to passing to each other some more.

I know things haven't been going well, but I'm not sure trying something completely new is wise at this stage of the season given the position we're in.
  • edited March 2018
    To be honest I’d be tempted to start Hugill. Point to prove, enthusiasm, unknown quantity.

If he could just be a nuisance and occupy the CBs and we played Lanzini and Arnie off of him, then I think we’d have a reasonable chance of getting at them with the space between midfield and defence.

Chicharito doesn’t offer us much outside the area.
  • Lukerz,

Some teams don't buy strikers to be able to offer much or anything outside the area, they are signed to be able to score goals without which you struggle to win matches.
  • Unfortunately we don't some able to get the ball in the area enough for him to get a shot at goal, never mind actually score.
  • We did when he was in the team before the Liverpool game though
  • Unfortunately we don't some able to get the ball in the area enough for him to get a shot at goal, never mind actually score.

Then there is an issue with the other 10 players in the side.
  • There’s an issue with the starting 11 from what I see
  • Still got a week and already waiting for the first Saints goal to fly in.
  • Yeold

Well, as long as you're happy...
  • edited March 2018
    Just watched Declan Rice play for Ireland vs Turkey. He was the best player on the pitch, very reliable in central defence, and when moved to the midfield after 20 min, gave a star performance there, bossed the midfield the way Roy Keane used to do, and deservedly won Man of the Match award. He should be on the pitch in each and every one of our remaining games, beginning with the match vs Southhampton.
  • edited March 2018

Imo his best position is DM. That's not to say he isn't any good in other positions though. Due to injuries in our first 11 (plus a thin squad), he hasn't played in DM too many times for us.
  • Ref appointed
    Jon Moss
  • Ref appointed
    Jon Moss

So I gather ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.