Burnley at home - 10th March - Match Thread

Comments

• bbb

No, I really don't think you are.
  • There was actually never going to be a (legal) march anyway.

The organisers hadn't got permission before they 'called it off'.
  • Newham council and the police said no...
  • edited March 2018
    And offering to contribute to the Isla Fund if it was called of ??? Sheer class.

They didn't agree to act on all of their concerns either.

My point was rather, that if you attempt to halt a peaceful demonstration by dealing with individuals that do not represent the entirety of the group you are meeting with, do not be surprised if the pressure finds its way out by other means, and /or the demo goes on anyway (It did).
    I wont go over the social media meltdown last week - we've all seen it. KB tried to manipulate the group by stating that they had agreed to the march being called off in her statement, where nothing of the sort had been agreed. (See KUMB and others).
    And pretending that the concerns were the only concerns is either disingenuous or deceitful.

People can tell when they are being had, and refused to be stage managed into submission - with the inevitable consequences.

A spectacular PR own goal from our Karren. Her days should be numbered.

• The board have made sooo many pr mistakes I’ve lost count
    The atmosphere is there now it won’t change there will be no truce it’s the fans v the board
  • Some of the fans v the board. Just at the moment there are at least 6 differing points of view.
  • Macca85 said:

The atmosphere is there now it won’t change there will be no truce it’s the fans v the board

a minority of
  • edited March 2018
    MrsGrey said:

a minority of

You raise an Interesting point Mrs Grey....perhaps there is currently a minority that wish to protest by chanting in front of the directors box and putting a flag in the ground. But how many fans are there that are in some way disgruntled/unhappy with the way the club is being run by our owners but don't wish to protest in or outside the stadium but instead make theyre voices heard through other means?

Some through sites like this or KUMB or WHO, some through twitter, or some choose to not go to matches at Stratford anymore or have or will give up their season ticket.

The amount of people currently wishing to protest is a minority, but I would suggest that the amount of people who are disillusioned with our owners and want change are much more.
  • You can still go to games and protest, just don't buy the merchandise. If everyone did that, it would affect the board, without affecting the players.
  • edited March 2018
    MrsGrey said:

Macca85 said:

a minority of
    Well then, lets hear the views of the 'majority' who are happy with the board and the way the club is being run, and let them present their arguments for debate.

Fair play, the 'Board out' mob have had their say

;ok
  • bbb

"There is also no proof that coins were thrown. Show me."

Sir Trev said it had happened and that is good enough for me.
  • Iron

No he didn't

He said that he heard coins had been thrown.
    I'll try and find his quote. ;ok
  • Former Hammers striker Brooking, speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme, said: "I think a coin did hit David Sullivan, his glasses. I didn't see it myself but I did have that confirmed, which was part of the reason why the people in the directors' box had to go inside to save any more problems like that."
  • Fair enough bbb. ;ok
  • I’m not sure or really care if I’m in the majority or whatever but at the moment I’m indifferent to the board and a lot more bothered and concerned about our team seemingly sliding towards the championship!

Are the board going to quit or sell the club any time soon - No
    Can they spend more money on transfers now - No nothing till the summer
    Will we be leaving the London Stadium - No

So what is the point of the protesting at this stage of the season?

Against Bournemouth and Leicester, when we went a goal down against them the crowd encouraged them and we got something from both games. So when we were needed most on Saturday to support the team, we then get distracted by some attention seekers invading the pitch and watching a mob of angry people shouting and swearing at an 81 year old man and scaring kids.

I’m not Sullivan’s biggest fan but just don’t think this is the right time and certainly don’t believe it was the right manner in which to protest.

Anyway I’m more of a reader of this forum than a commenter so think I’ll go back to that now. Peace coyi
  • Some of the fans v the board. Just at the moment there are at least 6 differing points of view.

Wombat

Just out of interest - what are the top 6 you have in mind ?
    I'm genuinely interested ;ok
  • Re the coins debate, the coverage I saw showed DS being led away by the arm and he was clearly very shaken indeed, he did not walk away from the directors area with anything like a normal body posture.

I said at the time that something must have been hurled at him beyond just words.

When I heard the accusation that coins were thrown, unfortunately I am afraid that I have no doubt.
  • edited March 2018
    The board now have a couple of weeks to really make some changes that maybe able to calm the storm and unite the fans, but they need to happen now. The club needs west hamming to make it feel like a proper football club.
    I would do the following
    Ask Sir Trevor Brooking to be a Director of the club make Billy Bonds Ambassador of the club these are people the fans trust
    Re name Rush Green after Ron Greenwood bring back the old club crest name the other two stands after west ham Legends Lyall and Bonds.

Go all out to drape the football club in its history and surround yourself with West Ham people and drive home the pr machine.

This may yes may turn the corner.
  • Macca85 said:

bring back the old club crest

Which one? ;whistle
  • Macca85 said:

The board now have a couple of weeks to really make some changes that maybe able to calm the storm and unite the fans, but they need to happen now. The club needs west hamming to make it feel like a proper football club.
    I would do the following
    Ask Sir Trevor Brooking to be a Director of the club make Billy Bonds Ambassador of the club these are people the fans trust
    Re name Rush Green after Ron Greenwood bring back the old club crest name the other two stands after west ham Legends Lyall and Bonds.

Go all out to drape the football club in its history and surround yourself with West Ham people and drive home the pr machine.

This may yes may turn the corner.

If memory serves Sir Trev was a director but resigned when he became the FA's Director of Football Development in order to avoid a conflict of interest. He's often said he's got his dream job so I can't imagine he'd want to walk away from it and rejoin as a director.

The rest is just PR. I think its going to take a lot more than that to make the fans happy
  • I thought he wasn't doing that for the FA now?
  • edited March 2018
    Oh yeah. Alzheimer's on my part........

PS here's something frightening

Joe Hart has conceded 36 goals in 19 games, average 1.895
    Bernard Lama conceded 25 goals in 14 games, average 1.785
  • I don’t want PR.

I’ve had it up to here with PR.
  • edited March 2018

I don’t want PR.

I’ve had it up to here with bad PR.

Fixed it for you I think Suz ;ok
  • Correct only bad pr
  • What I love about Joe Hart however is he seems to have unshakable self confidence and part of me thinks this is how he got and keeps the England job. He absolutely looks the part even if picking the ball out of the net for the fourth time in a match.

He could still be lauded as one of the best had Pep not rumbled him and seen beyond his fantastic body language and confidence, as with City's defence and amount of possession any reasonable keeper could look good. I think average teams such as us and Fiorentina who cannot hold possession as much and defences who cannot protect as much have shown him to be what he is which is a decent enough lower end Premiership or Championship standard keeper and no more. I think he is s decent shot stopper but the closer the action gets to him the less competent he is.
  • I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Hart has some issues off the pitch. He’s gone from being a world class goalkeeper to a shadow of his former self. I just wonder if he has a gambling problem or plays video games until the early hours? His mind just seems somewhere else.

I really don’t want him anywhere near our goal for the run in. One mistake at home to the saints and it could very well be bye bye premier league. At the moment he can’t even seem to kick the ball correctly.
  • I don’t want PR.

I’ve had it up to here with bad PR.

Fixed it for you I think Suz ;ok
    That is not a fix because that is not what I meant.

I DON'T WANT ANY PR !!

• That is not a fix because that is not what I meant.

I DON'T WANT ANY PR !!
    Have you thought about supporting Spurs or Charlton Suzanne
    ;cool
  • Joe Hart has NEVER been able to kick the ball correctly (never mind at the moment).
This discussion has been closed.