Lets take some Libertys! Swans away Match Thread (3.3.18)

Comments

• Poor performance from 1-11 I can live with outplayed but passion desire and effort are a must for me and today yet again this season there was none on show, didn’t get evra then and said so and really don’t get what he brings except wages I still believe but also only because there is luckily worse teams than us about onwards and upwards is my only positive
  • From what I saw today our fate is most definitely in the hands of teams below us and their losing. We certainly don't seem to have the fight for a scrap and Moyes reckons we need to get to 40 points but I don't see us getting anywhere near that. Our next two are at home but I don't think we will beat either Burnley of Southampton so at best with 7 games to go we rill be on 32 points.
  • Right now we are so poor that I think even Arsenal would fancy their chances against us
  • It's been said elsewhere, but our back 6 cost us £6m
    Nuff said I think ;doh
  • 3 home games next, win them all season saved ,job well done
  • How long is Ogbonna out for?
    When is Masuaku back?
    We were toothless today. I don't know if there are any stats for this but we seem to be constantly going backwards with our passing. Admittedly I don't watch too many of the other relegation teams but we always seem to go sideways or backwards. We seem to be able to go very quickly from attack to a pass back to our goalie.
  • Next two are at home then away to Chelsea.
  • ;doh job not done
  • The commentator said we have won 3 away games out of our last 23 away games.

It’s going to be our home form that decides where we’ll finish this season. So, it’s a good thing our most important games to come are all at home. Burnley, Southampton, Stoke and Everton.

We need 2 wins and a draw or two out of those to stand a chance, imo.
  • think Masuaku has one more game of the ban left
  • We've shipped 37 goals away from home including 11 from the last 3.
  • Looking forward to the, ‘Antonio’s on firr’ with emojis
  • Dear West Ham United Squad,
    You are in a relegation scrap, no if’s,buts or may be’s........play like you want it for crying out loud!

Rant over ;angry ;angry
  • maybe slav was not the problem, the mentality around the club is, i think even pep and messi would struggle with the ongoing farce that seems be to west ham ;weep
  • edited March 2018
    Just seen David Gold be verbally abused upon leaving the ground on a Twitter post. We’re all hurting but there’s no excuse for that.
  • edited March 2018
    Whoever it was abusing DG like that. You leave the club. He’s more of a fan than you will ver be. Arsenal have a number of opportunities open for twonks. Make yourself scarce.
  • After the Burnley game we don't play for 3 weeks by which time we could easily be in the bottom 3
  • ;weep thanks a lot thorn way to make us feel better
  • Jose Fonte's team lost 8-0 on his debut, in case someone thinks he could have stood in for Ogbonna or Collins.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/former-west-ham-defender-jose-fonte-loses-80-and-gives-away-a-penalty-on-dalian-yifang-debut-a3780806.html
  • edited March 2018
    If this were any other business that was returning the same results year in, year out, one of the most important things would be to have an independent analysis carried out to find the common denominator for them.
    West Ham has been like this for years, so what are the factors involved? I'll just put a few out there, feel free to add to them.

Ambition
    Ownership/Financial commitment
    Manager
    Coaching staff
    Stadium
    Training ground/Medical facilities
    Academy
    Players respect for the club
    Players respect for each other

There must be a common thread running through West Ham that explains it.

As Wombat said, getting turned over by Liverpool 1-4 (twice this season) is understandable if not acceptable, but to lose by the same score at Swansea is an utter disgrace. Everybody involved with West Ham should be hanging their heads in shame tonight.

As an aside, David Sullivan is apparently a billionaire which means he is worth at least £1,000,000,000. If he himself spent £100,000,000 on some decent midfielders/defenders he'd still have £900,000,000 left.
    I know that's a little simplistic but really, how much money do you need?

Not a happy bunny. ;angry
  • At least England won the ODI vs NZ, so I can go to bed a little happier. ;biggrin
  • losing 4 games to Newcastle and Brighton is far worse then once to Swansea .no disrespect to them but they just came up think we could have got 1 point against one of them ;angry
  • There is a saying on the walls at my childrens school "Hard work will beat talent if talent stops trying". We have some talented players but they have on too many occasions not been up for the challenge when it's been vital they were.

IF we do go down we can all reflect on how sensible the January transfer window was when several clubs around us realised how important it was to stay up and made provisions to improve their chances of doing so.
  • My mates worth quite a bit of money, but struggles to get cash together at times. He even got forced out of a company he started and had co trolling stake in! Being worth something and how much available cash you have are separate matters all together.

I personally only expect the owners to handle the clubs finances in a dilligent manner. I don’t want them putting money in, and on the same note don’t want them taking money out.

• edited March 2018
    Well that was arguably as shambolic as it gets. Defending which can only be usually witnessed on a Sunday morning down the local park and, as has been seen so many times away this season, a lack of desire and attitude to get back into the game after going 1-0/2-0 down. Just a surrender from the side. Moyes will be seriously worried.

However, I do think we need a sense of perspective now. Before yesterday, we'd taken 20 points from our last 13. Before Liverpool, it was 20 from 12 games. That's top 8 form. We've got two massive games to come at home, and of all our defeats under Moyes, only one has been at the London Stadium. So we can back ourselves to take points off Southampton and Stoke. We also have a couple of far easier fixtures; Burnley, Everton and Leicester, which are far easier because none of those sides have any motivation to take points. Won't mean we just walk up there and win, but they will be much easier games to negotiate than yesterday's. So that's 5 games from our remaining 9 which if we take 7 points from we're going to be in a very good position. If we take any more than 7 we will be all but safe.

Yesterday was abject. There were factors that made it the perfectly cliched 'bad day at the office' - the illness to Ogbonna, the injury to Collins, the injury to Reid and then having to play a defence of full-backs with a kid - however that doesn't excuse the fact that the likes of Zabaleta, Evra, Cresswell, Kouyate, Noble, Lanzini etc should have stepped up to the plate to ease the burden on Rice and Byram, but nobody believed we would get anything from that game once we went 1-0 down and that was the issue. Swansea fully deserved their win. Seven home wins on the bounce? They are now no mugs, but the manner of it was inexcusable.

I know it's easy to get wrapped up by the negativity at the club at the moment. Protests, marches, the board, the window, two 4-1 losses etc, but I do think, as far as the team goes, we need to be calm and keep some perspective. Things will look a lot better if we beat Burnley next weekend and we will only then need 5 points from our last 8. Perfectly gettable. Luckily for us, other than Swansea, every result went our way yesterday. So we got away with it to a degree. Hopefully Brighton and Palace also pick up nothing over the next two days.

I have been guilty of spitting feathers the last couple of weeks and this season in general, but the next 9 games are going to be crucial and we need to put yesterday's performance behind us and influence the games we can coming up.

COYI
  • The team don’t seem up for the challenge at all.
    Teams like Burnley , Brighton Bournemouth etc seem to fight and don’t get smashed on a regular basis.
    The whole club has turned into a complete circus now though , a club needing to survive buys Hugill and Evra. That says it all to me.
    A complete lack of ambition and leadership.
  • That’s not correct Hutton - we didn’t buy Evra - ha was free - someone who was sitting around twiddling his thumbs so someone decided he should get a contract with us. Seriously, what on Earth is he doing at West Ham? In fact, what on Earth is he doing in the Prem, period?

This season has been built upon two main things / the failure to get carvalho, followed even more remarkably by the failure to get dendoncker. The release of Fonte adds even more to the circus act it has now become.

Moyes has got to be careful now. Four of the disgraceful capitulations have been on his watch - Everton, Newcastle, Brighton and yesterday. And that’s not even counting the abject surrenders in both cups
  • Hutton, that was our second league defeat this year as far as I can remember. We certanily hadn't lost at home until Liverpool.
    Two defeats on the bounce doesn't really count for "on a regular basis", I shouldn't think.

I don't think we are going down. The players, however, are low on confidence and some of them have only just come back from injury.

On the plus side, Antonio has now scored his second goal in as many games.
This discussion has been closed.