Liverpool (A) 24.02.18 15:00 Match Thread

So the team (and that includes me) are back to winning ways ;biggrin

A short break for the FACup then it’s off to Anfield, not a ground we have excelled at.

But this has been an odd season so far, we could well pick up all three points.

;scarf

Comments

• While Hernandez is in good form, I would personally play Antonio up top with Arnie as we arne't going to have a lot of the ball so need guys who can do the work of 2

Also I don't like the idea of Antonio at LWB against Salah. Not sure whether its better to drop Evra into that spot or maybe put in another CB and put Cresswell at LWB. Reid could potentially be back for this, and possibly Fonte

Adrian
    Collins Ogbonna Reid
    Zaba Kouyate Noble Mario Cresswell
    Arnie Antonio

Think we can cause their defence problems but need to try and keep it tight, without coutinho they miss that Guile needed to break down teams
  • I’d be happy with a point to be honest even a scrappy 0-0
  • Turn the game into a scrap. Most of those Liverpool players aren't the getting stuck in type.
  • According to physioroom, Reid is back for this one.

Assuming we don't pick up more injuries, I think I'd like to see:

Adrian; Reid Ogbonna Cresswell; Zabaleta Noble Kouyate Evra; Antonio; Hernandez Arnautovic
  • Looks good; just replace Evra with Mario.
  • I don't want Antonio at LWB trying to track Salah. I think we're likely to have almost no possession, but when we do we need to break fast. So Antonio and Arnie up top to get the ball and leg it, and Chicarito to tap it in ;ok
  • Wow this match thread really hasn't got going which is surprising. I'd like to see:

------------------ Adrian -------------
    Zab - Collins - Og - Cress - Rice
    ----- Noble - Kouyate - Mario ----
    -------- Hernandez- Arnie ---------

Bring Antonio on after 60 mins for Hernandez as they tire imo (Although depends on the score).
  • Best we can expect is a draw I think, our record at Anfield isn’t great I’m afraid so I’m going for a draw ;pray
  • I'd be delighted with a point - We struggle at Liverpool plus they are in very good form.
  • edited February 2018
    It’s not going to be easy with Zabaleta and Evra as full backs given their age and slowness. But maybe with the back 3 we can compensate for that? Salah and Mane are going to cause massive issues out wide. Cresswell needs to stay LCB, so it’s either Antonio, Evra or Byram as LWB.

We’ll probably go with the same XI as Watford. Sit deep and hope we can hit them on the occasional counter with Arnie and Chicharito. Lanzini off the bench. If we can keep it to a two goal margin you’ve got to be happy with that with Swansea and Burnley to follow.

If Arnie continues his form you’d not rule out a surprise result, though.
  • Wow this match thread really hasn't got going which is surprising.

Not really, the match is still seven days away thanks to the FA Cup.

I'd be delighted with a point - We struggle at Liverpool plus they are in very good form.

We've not lost at Anfield since 31 January 2015, played 3, won 1, drawn 2.
  • I'm very conflicted: since both teams are a bit bi-polar, with up days and down days, forwards focussed and defences out of focus, it's hard to know what to hope for/fear. I think we could win/lose big/little and I'll be in 7th heaven/19th nervous breakdown. ;hmm
  • Aslef - That can't be right, you sure that's WH record.... ;cool
  • Levanne's goalkeeper booked for diving against Real Madrid last night. Cue Adrian leaping to keep out a Salah shot and the ref booking him and awarding a goal instead. ;biggrin
  • So the team (and that includes me) are back to winning ways ;biggrin

A short break for the FACup then it’s off to Anfield, not a ground we have excelled at.

But this has been an odd season so far, we could well pick up all three points.

;scarf

Suz, think you must have been on the ;redwine again. ;wink
  • Reasons to be cheerful - my son has got hold of 2 tickets so tomorrow I will watch my Hammers for the first time in over a year and it will be my first visit to Anfield.
    Reasons not to be cheerful - he is a big Liverpool fan and the tickets are in the Kop !
  • Let's hope you have to sit on your hands a lot.
  • Puddle - I will watch for the partying of the Red Sea in the Kop to reveal one guy going nuts....

;biggrin
  • The Kop will be going nuts....... when we go 3 up ;wahoo
  • I would prefer Evra as left wing back and move Antonio up in place or Chicha. Bit harsh but Antonio is so much more effective away. Evra and Creswell to Shepard the Egyptian fella.
  • The boss says Lanzini is in contention to play.
  • Why oh why would you drop a lethal goalscorer when he is on form? ;hmm
  • Agree, Herb.

For me, atm, you build the shape of the team around getting the best out of Arnie and Petit Pois
  • Need the strongest team possible in these games, no passengers. Hope I am proved wrong though!
  • Passenger? 3 in 4. Your view of a passenger is obviously very different to mine.
  • Two ‘surprising’ changes to the side according to Ex. ;hmm
  • Those who are going to Anfield for the match will find a BOBBY MOORE Commemorative T shirt on their away seat to mark the 25th anniversary of his death.
    From today fans can visit an exhibition of memorabillia from Bobby's career in the club shop, including the shirt he wore on his debut against Man U in 1958,
    (Crossed hammers crest).
    Also his 1964 FA Cup and 1965 Eurpean Cup Winners Cup medals are on display.
This discussion has been closed.