Watford (H) Match Thread 10.02.18 15:00

I will once again take up the match thread mantle.

Huge thanks to Barracks for his match threads - all good things must come to an end ;puzzled

So, at home to a wobbly Watford next - which Watford will turn up and which West Ham will great them.

home win of course....

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Adrian
    Collins - Ogbonna - Reid
    Byram - Noble - Kouyate - Mario - Cresswell
    Chicharito - Hugill

Hart, Fonte, Rice, Zabaleta, Cullen, Haksabanovic, Antonio

Possibility that Arnie could be on the bench according to a few rumours on Twitter.
  • I'd like to see Antonio start. (instead of Hugill)
  • Luke ;ok

I like that team. I would have Mario in front of Noble and Kouyate so it's more of a 3-4-1-2 than a 3-5-2.

Personally, I would like to see Antonio at RWB, I still think it's his best position.
  • Alderz ;ok

I’d like to stick him at RWB too but I just don’t think he’s up for it.
  • His response to being dropped for being late to the meeting seemed like he took it well and didn't suggest any attitude problems, so maybe it's not that big a deal?

The sell to him is that England have been playing with wingbacks recently so if he wants to make the squad he should destroy that position until the end of the season, in the same way he did in his first season with us.

IMO, our best team would look like:

Adrian; Reid Ogbonna Cresswell; Antonio Noble Obiang Masuaku; Lanzini; Arnautovic Hernandez
  • Another 6 pointer , only this to me is a must win home game .
  • I think this one is a 9 pointer....
  • Do we need a snooker yet?
  • Absolutely definitely 100% no to Antonio as RWB. He played best this season as part of a front three, play him with Hernandez and Mario, put Zab or Byram in the RWB role.
  • Antonio is great going forward but doesn't offer enough as a defender to be a wing back
  • I couldn't think of anything worse than playing Antonio as a wing back (apart from playing him as a right back)
  • Absolutely definitely 100% no to Antonio as RWB. He played best this season as part of a front three, play him with Hernandez and Mario, put Zab or Byram in the RWB role.

His best this season hasn't been very good, though.

His best ever, for us, was in the second half of his first season when he played at RWB, imo.

In 2015/16 when he played regularly as a RWB he made 2.24 clearances per game, 2.28 interceptions per game, attempted 3.52 tackles per game, won 52% of tackles, had 2.88 aerial duels per game, and won 53% of them.

I'll never be convinced that he is not both capable of and suited to playing as a wingback.
  • alderz - Antonio was our top goalscorer last season and if memory serves all of those goals came when he was playing in an attacking role. On at least one occasion he started out as a wing back but scored after he was moved forward later in the game.

Wing back is not his best position. The square peg might fit in the round hole but it would still be better in the square hole.
  • ASLEF

I think we will need to agree to disagree. I think his best spell for us has been at RWB and nothing I've seen from him in any other position has convinced me as much as his time in that position.
  • edited February 2018
    Has Deeney been banned for his obscene gesture yet?

Could do without him scoring against us.
  • Must win, or we will be relying on other teams to fail till the end of the season.
  • I think we will anyway Yeold. Our form is pretty sketchy, so I can see us putting together a run of results.

I would say we need three wins and a cople of draws, but the 'winnable' games are running out. I had Watford down as one of them, but they'll be confident after yesterday and we'll be very nervy.

This is where I actually agree with Sully; we (the fans) need to show some unity and be there for the players during the game. Watford will love it if the stadium is quiet or the fans on the player's backs.

Hopefully West Brom, Huddersfield and Newcastle will keep us up this season, but it's not going to be comfortable.
  • edited February 2018

Hopefully West Brom, Huddersfield and Newcastle will keep us up this season, but it's not going to be comfortable.

I would hope that West Ham keep us up this season. Never rely on others to do what you should be doing for yourself.

As I was told at team bonding sessions "Leverage your functionality". I don't know what it meant then, I still don't know what it means now but it was truly inspirational. I got out and found myself another job.

• Leverage your functionality?

Oo Er. , missus
  • No other team will keep us up. We live or die on our own results and I believe we will live.
    COYI
  • IronHerb said:

No other team will keep us up. We live or die on our own results and I believe we will live.
    COYI

Well they will if Brom, Huddersfield and Newcastle don't get another point all season. Then we can lose all of our games and still stay up ;wahoo
  • FA are investigating Deeney's gesture but are awaiting the ref's report.
  • Adrian
    Collins Oggy Rice
    Zaba Noble Kouyate Mario Cresswell
    Antonio Hernandez

Would like to see an attacker in as we are too defensive atm and cant be afraid of Watford

Think Antonio should start if hes fit enouhh, if not then Hugill

Would be good to see Arnie on the bench if possible...really need him back

Think every game against a non top 6 team is a 6 pointer nad we need to start winning them...starting with this...a draw isnt going to cut it imo
  • Depending on the fitness of the players:

Adrian
    Collins Reid Ogbonna
    Antonio Noble Kouyate Cresswell
    Mario
    Hugill Hernandez

Zabalata needs rest. Rice has struggled a bit. Hopefully, Arnautovic on the bench and play if needed. But I worry about the lack of pace in defence.
  • 4 at the back with Zabaleta just infront in DM. Arnautovic and Antonio on the wings, Noble and Marion in centre mid with Jordan upfront.
  • Yeh , 4 at back, welcome Evra , hope u prove to be worth it....
  • Surely there's no way Evra and Arnie will be fit to start at the weekend?
  • edited February 2018
    Deeny just got a warning for his gesture on Monday so is available for this game.
  • That's disgraceful!

This discussion has been closed.