Transfer Director Tony Henry (suspended) dismissed by club

Comments

• If you read the alleged conversation he does use the word “we”

So who is the “we”? - isn’t it fair and equitable that the investigation be extended to determine if there was indeed a “we” and that these person(s) are investigated too?? I would say so
  • I'll just leave this out there, but definitely not in Henry's defence.

Tony Henry said (reportedly):
    "West Ham do indeed want to limit the number of African players because 'they have a bad attitude' and 'cause mayhem' when they are not in the team."

SHF said:
    “I shouldn’t even talk to this guy -he’s a Yank, and they’re rarely worth the trouble of a work visa”

Mark Noble said, regarding Joao Mario:
    "The Portuguese are normally quite tough and I think he’s going to suit our football well."

Grey said:
    "SHF, no, his mistake, imo, was in making a racist generalisation."

Tricky, isn't it?
    ;hmm
  • If you read the alleged conversation he does use the word “we”

So who is the “we”? - isn’t it fair and equitable that the investigation be extended to determine if there was indeed a “we” and that these person(s) are investigated too?? I would say so

And that’s what I was getting
  • edited February 2018
    ;ok I get ya.

(Oh, that's to cuz from the previous pg)

• Tricky, isn't it?
    ;hmm

Erm, no. I don't think so.
  • MrsGrey, no problem
  • To you Grey but obviously not to others and side by side those quotes dont have a lot of difference

Whether you think hes racist, not racist, misinterpeted or found out the simple fact is you cant say things like that and not to expect backlash

I think he deserves the sack but the same boat i dont think hes racist as he is the head of recrutiment and the last 5 years weve brought in a load of african hieritaged players
  • edited February 2018
    Cuz1 said:

And that’s what I was getting at

Hang on, that's not what you said before ;lol I'm going to have to take back my ;ok

Before you said you wondered who all was copied in to the emails.

Now you are saying there is a 'we' who are part of some kind of decision-making to not buy any more African players.

I think that there is no 'we' .. it's just an expression to mean the organisation, rather than 'me and him'. And as I said before, it is self evident that there is no such policy: they were trying to get in two African players on deadline day.

Unless you think that they were never really in for those 2, and that they knew the story was going to break, so they just pretended to try to sign them so they had cover against the story when it came out in the papers.

(Lights blue touch paper and runs away)

• I think he deserves the sack but the same boat i dont think hes racist as he is the head of recrutiment and the last 5 years weve brought in a load of african hieritaged players

I don't agree that the fact that he has hired African-heritage players => he's not racist.

He may have all sorts of racist beliefs and thoughts that he hasn't put into practice (because obviously his influence is limited).

He may well not really be racist, despite making a racist comment. He might just be completely unaware of the implications of what he's said. But someone so clueless isn't fit to hold the job.
  • Yea he may be unfit for the job (as i said he should and deserved to be sacked) but the point was that while he may have made a generalisation doesnt mean he is 'racist'

I mean in the report he specifically referenced Sakho directly as causing problems and praised Kouyates attitude
  • edited February 2018
    When pressed, that is (allegedly) how he replied.

But to me, that's could just as easily be someone trying to prove he's not racist by adopting the 'some of my best friends are black' defence. On it's own, it doesn't cut it with me, I'm afraid.

I could turn your comment around and say just because he said something nice about 1 player, when under pressure and trying to defend himself, doesn't mean he isn't racist.

Thing is, it was his comment that is racist. I know nothing about his personal beliefs. For the comment, as you say, he had to go.

• edited February 2018
    Champo

To be clear, I didn't say he was racist. I made the point that, imo, his error was making a generalisation that was racist, rather than in being caught out saying it.
  • Bit more detail I've just read here https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/02/david-moyes-west-ham-african-players

Henry, who had worked for the club since 2014, is reported to have sent an email to an agent and a club executive asking them not to recommend any more African players.
  • public figure+high profile job+premier league club+ silly boy=sack
  • This bigot harmed the club immensely. I can only imagine how many great players we refused to consider because of his 'policy' - Africans, Russians, Italians. ;doh Anyway, he has been sacked, and deservedly so.
  • Another senior official at the club has also been suspended but not yet named by the club.
  • edited February 2018
    Its probably a bit more prosaic than that I reckon. I bet there has been an internal conversation along the lines of "we dont want any more like that idiot Sakho" - and its gone from there.
    Not condoning anything that was said, but I bet this had fairly humble beginnings IMO
  • Palace academy director suspended over inappropriate behaviour with the under 18s. May deflect some of the news away from us.
  • I certainly suspect Henry was more guilty of stupidity than malice, but it was clearly inexcusable and so he had to go.
  • The fact that his justification in the interview was to suggest it was ok to make a sweeping generalisation about Africans was to then make sweeping generalisations about Russians and Italians was a clue to his stupidity, imo.
  • Its probably a bit more prosaic than that I reckon. I bet there has been an internal conversation along the lines of "we dont want any more like that idiot Sakho" -

Probably.

Henry could have then more accurately have said there was a club policy against signing idiots, or troublemakers, or players who weren't 'team players' or players with questionable attitudes, or who had a track record of sulking.....

but he didn't.

Probably (and we're back to his personal views again) he said we don't want any more Africans. Which makes as much sense as saying we don't want any more forwards/people with surnames starting with S/people with brown eyes.

• Sakho's gone on record saying that West Ham are trying to get rid of all their black players and none of the black players want to play for them.
  • edited February 2018
    Mrs Grey, you've missed out the other bit of my Post. I'm not condoning anything
    I know what mean ;wink
  • edited February 2018
    I wasn't suggesting you were (condoning it) on account of ... I read that you weren't condoing it..

I didn't include the other bit of your quote because my comment didn't address that bit.

I was agreeing with the first part of what you said, and adding to it.

I think you have misunderstood my point.
  • thorn, laughing at Sakho, not you.
  • If there was a we there is no chance of finding out
    Henry would of got a nice pay off and told to keep quiet
  • MrsGrey said:

Bit more detail I've just read here https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/02/david-moyes-west-ham-african-players

Henry, who had worked for the club since 2014, is reported to have sent an email to an agent and a club executive asking them not to recommend any more African players.

That’s probably how we’re going to find out how far this spread, through their interactions with those outside the club.

For the record, it’s not unusual for a racist to employ the people he’s biased against, not is it unusual for them to pick out a few expceptions they think are ‘not like the rest.’
  • Sakho's gone on record saying that West Ham are trying to get rid of all their black players and none of the black players want to play for them.

I saw this yesterday and my immediate thoughts were:

1. This was said on Snapchat to a fan. Anyone can change the name of anyone else on their Snapchat account. This makes it an extremely unreliable account, at this moment in time.

2. Isn't it interesting that "Sakho" had been messaging this guy last week to tell him he would say why he wanted to leave, and then right after the Tony Henry news broke he happened to mention that? Timing seems very strange.
  • The Mail knows though.