Transfer Director Tony Henry (suspended) dismissed by club

Comments

• Why can’t she just shut up.

Shut up Karen.

For the love of god just shut up.
  • edited February 2018
    Although, those comments were made last year, and she had apologised, and thought the matter closed.

Separately, I agree that she should not be writing for the Sun, and certainly not in her role as our vice-Chair.
  • Not often you will hear me say this but, “in the Mail’s defence” (I feel sick now) the other players they included were all elible to play for African countries, I believe. Masuaku can play for DR Congo, Obiang for Equatorial Guinea, and without scrolling up I can’t rememher who else was included.

I definitely don’t ever support what the Mail says or does, but I don’t think this is a racist move by then.
  • From the Graundian article:

"The allegations against Henry were unsurprisingly a hot topic in the West Ham dressing room on Thursday. The club has seven players of African descent and it is understood there is serious unhappiness within the squad. One player has expressed his dismay in private to the Guardian...."

Serious unhappiness is not what you want in the dressing room right now, or at any time for that matter. ;nonono
  • Gets gun.

Takes off shoe.

Aim.

Fire.
  • It's no good blaming the Mail, Brady, the Sun or whoever else. He should never have said it or sent emails saying it.
  • Also the players would know that the club and squad are not rascist because of all the things they are involved in. I'm also sure Henry would have been involved in some of their transfers. Similarly I expect most of them were fed up with Sakho's attitude too but for Henry to tar players from an entire race or heritage over one player is moronic.
  • Always believe in ;ccole has his say...

"Not many people have played for West Ham United longer than me and African players have always been made most welcome by the fans and club," said Cole in a statement to the Press Association.

"I am of African heritage and am indeed proud of that, I am also proud to have played for my country. In my nine years at West Ham United it was fantastic, the fans and club have always judged players on their football ability, work ethic and loyalty.

"West Ham United is a club that is proud of its diversity and has not tolerated discrimination during the whole time I played there and been associated with the club.
  • ;quaver ;quaver There's only one Carlton Cole
    Only one Carlton Cole
    There's only one Carlton Cole
    There's only one Carlton Cole ;quaver ;quaver

CC you beauty ;bowdown ;clap ;bowdown ;clap
  • Sacked him then now
  • Well managed by the club
  • If the reports checked out then no alternative imo.
  • Any news of a pay off or confidentiality agreement?
  • There was no way he could survive this - what a complete idiot, thing is, I would wager that he still thinks that he said nothing wrong
  • Any news of a pay off or confidentiality agreement?

He was sacked. That doesn't usually involve a pay off.
  • edited February 2018
    I find it impossible to believe that a discriminatory policy has been adopted: all the facts, which are indisputable, are clear. West Ham has had in the past, has in the squad now, and were during the transfer window actively trying to secure for the future, players of African descent.

In what possible way could there be a discriminatory policy in place?
  • Yesterday, i reviewed a CV of a guy applying for a job with us. I noticed he was American, and said to my workmate “I shouldn’t even talk to this guy -he’s a Yank, and they’re rarely worth the trouble of a work visa”. I did interview him, and we got on great, and we’ll be hiring him.
    Tony Henry’s quote was in the same vein. He committed the unfortunate crime/error of speaking outside the tent, and for that, he has to go.
  • Every manager I've ever heard of being sacked by a football club had their contracts paid up and some signed confidentiality agreements.
    I doubt that we'll ever find out here as he may have a tale to tell imo,even if it was for gross misconduct.
  • shf

No, his mistake, imo, was in making a racist generalisation.
  • Every manager I've ever heard of being sacked by a football club had their contracts paid up

The 'sackings' of managers aren't really 'sackings', even though that's the way they are talked about. They have a contract. The club terminates it and pays it up. They part company, terminate the contract, whatever.

In this case though, it looks as though he has been actually sacked. No doubt more details will emerge as to the circumstances.
  • Likely it was gross misconduct and therefore contract can be terminated without compensation.
  • Or as a club say look there’s no way back for you we will say we have sacked you to save face and here’s a few quid to keep you going wonder how many others involved
  • Likely it was gross misconduct and therefore contract can be terminated without compensation.

Deanscale
    Agreed - just that in this case given Henry's actual words like using 'we' a lot he may be a bit of a loose cannon without some sort of incentive to keep his mouth shut.
    I bet journalists are ringing him as we speak ;wahoo
  • edited February 2018
    Cuz1 said:

Or as a club say look there’s no way back for you we will say we have sacked you to save face and here’s a few quid to keep you going wonder how many others involved

Involved in what?
  • Maybe we can get a new transfer director who can sign players now
  • What? Has DS gone?
  • Cuz1 said:

Or as a club say look there’s no way back for you we will say we have sacked you to save face and here’s a few quid to keep you going wonder how many others involved

I'm sorry but it's getting down right ridiculous now. So it's all a big conspiracy is it?
  • MrsGrey said:

Cuz1 said:

Involved in what?
    Didn’t actually mean the board was referring to emails sent and who to within the club, never mentioned a conspiracy just said there must be someone else involved but not necessarily the board hope that clears it up before any more confusion