Arthur banned for six games

Seems very harsh but they’re saying it’s the mandatory penalty that he’s received, things go from bad to worse.

Comments

• 6 match ban for Masuaku just came up on Sky Sports.
  • Probably no more than he deserves hope this is a one off head down and get back into the team, the shame is for me he was starting to play well
  • No surprises there.

Going well, isn't it
  • deserved and hope he is fined to the max for the total time he is unavailable for.
  • Billy bonds was sent off for spitting in 1970 just as well some of our social media fans were not around then, he’d never of wore the shirt again and been sacked
  • Think we’re cursed personally
  • This particular wound was entirely self inflicted - I am sure that DM has had a word in his shell like and I hope he is feeling more than just a tad humble this morning.

It is going to be a long four or five weeks for him, I think that he will only have short window to prove himself upon his return but hopefully he will train really hard in the interim and come back determined to make it up.

If not, he will be justifiably frozen out.
  • I have seen some people think he should be banned from the club. I think that is well over the top. I remember watching Julian Dicks stamp on John Spencer's head. I think that is far worse but I don't remember anyone calling for Dick's to be banned from the club.
  • I think if I had to choose between someone spitting on my football shirt or that same person breaking my leg in a bad tackle, I'd opt for the shirt soiling - and then go and get a clean shirt.
  • I have seen some people think he should be banned from the club. I think that is well over the top. I remember watching Julian Dicks stamp on John Spencer's head. I think that is far worse but I don't remember anyone calling for Dick's to be banned from the club.

David Mellor did. The marvelous thing was that Julian managed to stamp on his head while Spencer was falling down behind him. Not easy when you're both running at full pelt after the ball.

Even better five minutes earlier Andy Grey had praised Dicks for not retaliating when Spencer clattered him on his bad knee/ankle
  • He got the obvious 6 game ban.
    He's apologized , he & us : the club must deal with it & move on, not nice to see for sure , but if he learns from his mistake, IMO can't ask for more.
  • deserves it 100%
  • Wont be back till March 18th! Only 3 games in Feb!
  • Can't see how spitting gets a 6 game ban, whilst striking an opponent, or lunging in wildly and potentially ending a career, gets 3 games.

Seems way out of balance to me.
  • I think they went in very heavy to try and get it out the game completely due to its particularly offensive nature, As you say it doesn't compare to potential broken leg but it does have other aspects to it which they wanted to get rid of once and for all, which to be fair seems to have worked as it is no where near as prevalent as it once was.
  • c&b

It's been the automatic ban length for a while now, apparently to conform with FIFA's policy.
  • I personnally have no problem with a six game ban.

I recall when I was a youth worker and we entered into a “behavioral contract” with the young people who attended on what is considered unacceptable behaviour - and spitting was the first thing mentioned and was top of the list.

There is just something particularly nasty about it.

Footballers are role models and given the camera angles nowadays, it is extremely unlikely that such actions will be missed.

The penalty has been the rule for some time now and thus I agree with those who believe that it is a rule that is largely effective as occasions are thankfully few and far between.
  • It’s pretty low to spit on someone, deserves the six games, learn from it Artur
  • Frankly, I think it is lower to shove someone in the back when they are running off the pitch, and send them clattering in to the advertising boards/fans/camera pits, as just one example.

Cowardly, and dangerous.

Most players don't even get carded for it, even though the only reason for doing it is to try to upset/hurt a fellow professional.
  • I don’t and never will. Spitting your body fluids over someone is just awful and recoorgnized as much by many

Shoving someone through frustration, not nice but been going on since the game began

Just my opinion mind.

;ok
  • Spitting in my mind the worst offence of the two disgusting
  • I would lose it if i got spat on in a game. Love a good tackle though!
  • edited January 2018
    Shoving someone through frustration, not nice but been going on since the game began
    a) I'm not sure what longevity has to do with it.

b) do it in a park game, and likely the worst that will happen is the bloke stumbles.

Do it in a tight PL ground, with a stepp or short run off, and you could do serious damage.

As I said, I think it is cowardly, and worse than being spat at. Lots of incidents I've seen have nothing to do with frustration, and are just cheap shots, when the other player has his back turned.

And really, my point was that spitting gets a 6 game ban, whereas cowardly pushing, and endangering an opponent, gets mostly nothing, which I don't see as right at all.

If spitting is worth 6 games, so should lots of other things we want seen out of the game be, would be my opinion.
  • edited January 2018
    Well I've been spat at and have been smacked in the face and I can say with absolute certainty, I would rather be spat at in the face.
  • I do agree with his punishment but i bet these fellas wouldn't believe it, 6 matches!

The old days, Ref in perfect view........Play on play on whats the matter with you.

To be fair he did get a yellow for this one

• Frankly, I think it is lower to shove someone in the back when they are running off the pitch, and send them clattering in to the fans.

Something which is physically not possible at the London stadium
  • Well I've been spat at and have been smacked in the face and I can say with absolute certainty, I would rather be spat at in the face.

I've been to clubs where that sort of thing goes on......
  • Barracks I think at the LS they push the players nearer to the crowd so the more keen sighted at least have a chance to make out who it is!
  • Well I've been spat at and have been smacked in the face and I can say with absolute certainty, I would rather be spat at in the face.

I’d rather be smacked to be honest
  • If there is anything cowardly about all of this it’s the spitting, if you try your luck and punch someone you could be getting yourself into an area you’re not used to, by spitting you’re taking the easy and dirty way out.

I do think it’s worth 6 games and I don’t worry about the odd shove, if it’s bad enough then it should carry a red, point is for me, spitting is the lowest