Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Huddersfield A Match Thread - 13.01.18 3pm

Comments

• 4 quality goals today

Very un-West Ham like
    Cuz1ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Lineker just confirm motd running order and we’re 1st.....

When was the last time that happened, not even playing a top 6 side...
    WHU_Champo_league_in_7_yearsClaretandBlueforLife
  • You wouldn't know it though as it lasted about 10 minutes including chat
    Cuz1
  • You wouldn't know it though as it lasted about 10 minutes including chat

;lol It did feel like that. They were obliged to put us up first but rattled through it very quickly.
    Cuz1Dodger58ClaretandBlueforLife
  • edited January 13
    Armies finish better than gazzer against Scotland euro 96 really is proving a snip last few weeks hurry up transfer window and close
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Frank Lampard is a decent pundit tbh
    HammerwombatVorselaarhammertomkinsworldclassMrsGreyASLEFshruggedClaretandBlueforLife
  • In 85/86 we started with Cottee and Goddard as the two up front but Sarge got injured in our first game so midfielder McAvennie was pushed forward.

In 17/18 we started with Hernandez and Carroll as our first choice strikers, now Lanzini and Arnautovic are our most productive front two

Funny old game, football
    Cuz1SuzanneClaretSlaven_Cups_His_Beard
  • Marco’s performance yesterday was absolutely brilliant.
    The way he turned defenders, his strength , his finishing, his passing.
    The only other player that I have seen destroy teams in the Premier league like that is Harry Kane and Aguero a few years ago. None of them have Marcos power though. He was nothing short of brilliant yesterday and I haven’t said that of a West Ham player for years.
    Cuz1baracks_a_hammerbillybondsbeardsweepy23
  • He looked a bit cheesed off that he didn’t manage to score the fourth himself ;lol
    OutcastLondoner
  • Well he was fouled after all. Should have been a penalty but we scored anyway
  • It’s the first time we’ve scored 4 since May 2013..... ;nonono
  • edited January 14
    4-2 v Reading, final game of the season. Nobby got a hat trick ;barrera ;barrera ;barrera Razmataz Vaz also scored. Assists were from ;ac (twice), Mark Noble and Modibo Maiga. ;wahoo

We finished 10th that season.

;whome
    SuzanneClaretalderz
  • Thought we beat Swansea 4-1 away last season?
    OldCastleSwiftVorselaarhammeralderzSlaven_Cups_His_BeardDeanscaleshammer
  • Boxing Day 2016 Lukerz. Had that conversation with the other half yesterday ;ok
    Deanscaleshammer
  • Just checked indeed Swansea...

It didn’t seem right, the trouble with believing the newspapers....

#falsefacts
    MrsGrey
  • I mean I know we aren’t great but...

That’s why those sort of stats mean so much to us.

‘Boxing Day 2016’ is like a trophy to us
  • edited January 14
    MrsGrey said:

4-2 v Reading, final game of the season. Nobby got a hat trick ;barrera ;barrera ;barrera Razmataz Vaz also scored. Assists were from ;ac (twice), Mark Noble and Modibo Maiga. ;wahoo

That game won me a tenner from a friend. When we signed Nolan, he said he was past his best and wouldn't do anything for us, so I bet him that Nobby would get to double figures.

He was on 7 goals going into that game and on the Friday my friend was winding me up, telling me not to forget his money on Monday.

It was a very satisfying message I sent him that Sunday evening ;biggrin
    LukerzSuzanneClaretMrsGreyalderzHammerwombat
  • edited January 14
    Modibo Maiga

Had to look him up. He’s playing in the United Arab Emirates league and has done alright. And he’s got 5 goals in his last 3 games! Cheeky bid for him to replace Sakho? ;lol
    Hammerwombat
  • edited January 14
    That was a really great result for us. Probably the first time I’ve felt relatively confident we’ll be ok. I know we aren’t there yet, but when you think after Moyes’ first few results (3 defeats and a draw), with games against Chelsea and Arsenal to follow, where we are now is almost a miracle. And to think if we’d held on at Bournemouth we’d be 9th, not to mention Ayew missing that penalty against Newcastle, which had he scored could’ve preserved us a point.

Surprised by Huddersfield. I expected a bad result for us, but they put in a pretty nondescript performance. Didn’t do anything.

I know we have good players, and were underperforming previously. But still. Arnie is reminding me of the effect Payet had. Even if the team is under par, he has an X factor that can still get us points.

8 attempts, 6 on target and 4 goals. We still need a bit of reinforcing though.
  • Lukerz ;ok Re the reinforcing, I hope that yesterdays win doesn't make the board think that we don't need anyone this month. We still need a couple, IMO, because as always we're only an injury or two away from struggling again.

Bit for now I'm just enjoying the win and the performance.

And Arnie.

Obvs.
    WHU_Champo_league_in_7_years
  • edited January 14
    We are a completely different proposition when the likes of Arnie and Lanzini are not playing and have very little in the way of back up to genuinely compare
  • Baracks ;ok We saw when we went with Hernandez and Ayew against Shrewsbury just how good Arnie and Lanzini are.

With Antonio out for a while, we need another forward who can do what those two can do. Would I sacrifice Hernandez for that player? Probably would, actually.
  • How things can change in such a short time. A couple of weeks ago Moyes was
    getting slagged off by a lot of people on this forum. Now, he seems to be the greatest since sliced bread.
    ;hmm
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • edited January 14
    Just watched Goals on Sunday and noticed (which I hadn't before) that the 2nd goal was a cunning plan. Arnie is signalling to Ogbonna what to do, then makes his run as Ogbonna sets himself to play it long. ;run ;goal
    OldCastleSwiftalderz
  • Do we know how long Antonio is out for?

I agree though, the way we play is ineffective if the players up front don't have the technical or physical ability to be a threat with very little support

Think this suits for away games only, think at home we would be expected to have more of the ball so would need someone to partner Arnie with Lanzini perhaps dropping deeper

Theoretically Ayew and Hernandez should be able back ups but it's just not working for them

It's so important for us to get Antonio back and fully fit (and I mean fully fit) as a fully fit Antonio has the qualities that Arnie brings

Problem we have is buying a player of equal class to those 2, but not necessarily being first teamers

But think Moyes is happy with his system especially for away trips. attack direct with pace, skill and power

Outside the top 6 teams, Arnie and Lanzini have to be among the better players around
    welovethehammersDodger58
  • Hammerex said:

How things can change in such a short time. A couple of weeks ago Moyes was
    getting slagged off by a lot of people on this forum. Now, he seems to be the greatest since sliced bread.
    ;hmm

You lose 4-0 to Everton, plus losing to watford etc, you deserve criticism

But if you turn it around and win 4-1 and 3-0 away from home against relegation rivals you are going to get praised

Not really sure what you expect...... he's turned it around so does he not deserve praise?
    Slaven_Cups_His_Beard
  • I don't see Ayew and Hernandez, who are both predominantly penalty box players, as being a back up to Arnie and Lanzini. They offer a different option in the way we play but not running the ball from the half way line.
    baracks_a_hammer
  • I still think that Hernandez is an able replacement, but whenever he comes in for one of Arnie / Lanzini the other seems to be replaced too. He needs to play with one or both of them for a spell.
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • IronHerb said:

I don't see Ayew and Hernandez, who are both predominantly penalty box players, as being a back up to Arnie and Lanzini. They offer a different option in the way we play but not running the ball from the half way line.

Think Ayew should personally, at least in his younger days at Marseille when he was predominately a winger

But I agree re Hernandez
  • I have been impressed with how much of Arnie recent success has been due to his own hard work.

He chasing down of defenders causing them to make mistakes has been a real factor.
    WHU_Champo_league_in_7_yearswelovethehammersdeehammerClaretandBlueforLifeDodger58BertQuigleysweepy23OutcastLondoneralderz
This discussion has been closed.