Smash Those Potters - Stoke (A) Match Thread 16.12.17 3pm

edited December 2017 in Match Threads
A well earned point against the Gooners.

Once again you are welcome.

Now it’s time to visit Stoke - nasty nasty Stoke - who are on a poor run of form themselves.

Away win..... Obvs..

coyi

Comments

• I'd just like to say that I really do not like Mark Hughes.
  • Will be interesting to see how we perform in this game given the quality of opposition is not the same as City, Chelsea, Arsenal. Easy to play those games and sit in your own half for 90 mins. We can’t give Stoke 70% possession and 20 odd shots. I’d be thinking about getting a striker involved in the 11 now.
  • Antonio didn't impress me much last night, plus he could probably do with a rest after all the running he's done in the last two games.

I thought Lanzini was poor yesterday, but he might have more attacking license against Stoke, so worth sticking with (although that has a lot to do with how few options we have in CM at the moment). I'd go:

Adrian
    Collins Ogbonna Azpilicresswell (stolen from Twitter)
    Zaba Obiang Lanzini Noble Arthur
    Arnautovic Hernandez

Hart, Rice, Fernandes (if fit), Ayew, Antonio, Sakho, Carroll
  • Must win not just for us but it will trigger Mark Hughes being sacked
  • Now this is a game i would consider Carroll... Stoke away, horrible place to go. Will be more of a fight than a football match.
    Carroll and Ginge in for Antonio and Reid.
  • Adrian
    Collins Ogbonna Cresswell
    Zaba Noble Obiang Ayew Masuaka
    Arnautovic Hernandez

Think Antonio and Lanzini need a rest they looks very tired agaisnt Arsenal

Id have like to put in but Crouch is stokes preferred CF atm so Collins extra aerial prowess will be useful

Id go for Hernandez than Carroll because Herandez looks a threat and it qould require less of a need to change the system

I dont expect us to give stoke as much repsect which should allow a bit more creativity
  • I too would play Hernandez instead of Antonio.

Ginge for Reid is a forced change that might work in our favour.
  • But I doubt Ginge has 90 minutes in him. He hasn't played any competitive football for 3 months.

If he starts, we'll need a back-up plan for the last half hour. ;hmm
  • This is ginge we are talking about - he would easily last 90 minutes plus extra time and penalties!!
  • And just wait until his leg comes out of plaster ;lol
  • I just hope we keep the same shape/formation for this. Yes we have sat back last three games, but that isn`t due to the shape/formation, it`s due to facing technically superior opposition. 3-5-2 can be as attacking as you like with the right players and against similar opposition. We have also created clear cut chances in all three games, despite surrendering the ball for the majority of the time. I agree as above, will probably need fresh legs in one or two positions, but please Mr Moyes, stick to 3/5 at the back. You know it makes sense. I also can`t wait to see Byram (when fit) in for Zab at some time. This is not a criticism of Zab who is definitely giving his all for the cause, I just think Byram one side and Masuaku the other will give us a bit more pace/potency. With two pacy players up top and Mas and Byram on the flanks I think we will be very dangerous on the counter. ;wahoo
  • I think actually having a shape has been a step in the right direction ;biggrin
  • Thing is after getting 4 points in the last 3 games it wont matter if we have another horror show like everton

This is a bigger game andits a huge game for stoke....its games like this thatll make or break this season
  • Thing is after getting 4 points in the last 3 games it wont matter if we have another horror show like everton

This is a bigger game andits a huge game for stoke....its games like this thatll make or break this season

The problem is, the same is true for Stoke. They are in a bad spot and this is a game they will be fancying very strongly for a win.
  • As has been said, now we see what Moyes can do.

No doubt we have put into backbone performances the last few games but now we need to go at a team.

From what I've so far I am hopeful that Moyes can make us effective at both ends of the pitch.
  • Merse says 1-0 Stoke
  • As has been said, now we see what Moyes can do.

No doubt we have put into backbone performances the last few games but now we need to go at a team.

From what I've so far I am hopeful that Moyes can make us effective at both ends of the pitch.

Good call vorse, done the hard yards against the better teams now to go on the offensive against those rivals around us bring it on I’m warming to him
  • DM hasn't used subs often, or for very long. I worry that these players will be close to burn-out soon. Maybe his plan is to play the 2nd XI next Tuesday against Arsenal? I'm hoping Stoke has given up, but my bet is they'll make a huge effort in this game, and we may get muscled out of it. An early goal and we'll be flying! ;fence
  • I think that's key; the first goal. We get it, I'm confident we can shut them out. If we concede first and have to chase the game, I worry we'll be too open.

Arguably we'll be the more confident of the two teams, which could be the difference.

Heart says 2-1 Irons, head says 1-1
  • edited December 2017
    If we want to keep the usual system we’re probably going to have to bring Rice in for Reid. Collins is not going to be fit enough to start given he wasn’t even expected to make the bench on Weds. Obviously it’s a bit of a risk for Rice in such a big game but it would be an even bigger risk throwing Ginge in if he’s not physically up for it. We’d be carrying him to a degree.

So:

Adrian
    Rice - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zabaleta - Noble - Obiang - Masuaku

Then the key part is the front three. Arnie has to start (good odds him scoring against his old employers), but I would be tempted to freshen up the top end with a couple of different players to help us out on the counter. Possibly Chicharito and Ayew in for Lanzini and Antonio. Obviously in an ideal world Lanzini plays, but he hasn’t done anything of note this season in any game and was incredibly lightweight against Arsenal at times. I don’t think he should just be selected because of his reputation here. Antonio has to be managed because he’s looked shattered last two games and given his recent record with muscular injuries I wouldn’t want us to push him too far with the games we have coming up.

So maybe:

Ayew - Arnautovic
    Chicharito

Just to give us a bit of extra energy and more ruthlessness up front. I think that could be key. A couple of fresher legs. But I’m sure Moyes will be tempted to stick with the same XI minus Reid. Or, if he does change it, here must be the temptation to bring in Andy to combat Stokes physicality.
  • edited December 2017
    Lukerz said:

Or, if he does change it, here must be the temptation to bring in Andy to combat Stokes physicality.

Up front, surely we should be looking for a contrast for their physicality rather than playing to their strengths. This is the last sort of game to be starting Andy imo, far better to test them with pace and guile rather than Andy's physical presence, at least from the start; he'll be more of a handful for them if they've had the run around for 60 or 70 minutes.
  • Buffy ;ok agree

Just thinking defending set plays etc. He would be a temptation.
  • edited December 2017
    When was the last time Berahino scored? ;hmm
  • Lukerz think he scored last time Carroll played a full season
  • 27 February 2016, West Brom 3-2 Palace
  • edited December 2017
    Last started a PL game 30th Sept.

Last PL appearance (5 mins as sub) 4th Nov.

Seems fair to say that whatever was going on at WBA, it wasn't down to Pulis' mismanagement, as Hughes implied.
  • Reckon that Chicarito might be the key here in turning big lumbering defenders. He may win a few vital free kicks or God forbid even a penalty.
  • Going to be a tough game hoping we can build on recent results I think a draw might be on the cards and hopefully we can beat Newcastle on 23rd to put us in a better position come Christmas ;hmm
  • We've had it for this season already
This discussion has been closed.