Bring on the Gooners (H) Match Thread - 13.12.17 20:00

edited December 2017 in Match Threads
I opened the Chelsea match thread - you’re welcome!

Can we maintain the same energy against those pesky little Gooners?

Comments

• Adrain in goal obvs...

Depends who came out of the Chelsea game unscathed.
  • Ho-ray seasonal joy
    Looking forward, rather then omg ear we go again.
    ;biggrin
  • Same team that started for me unless injuries force it
  • Yea it's pretty hard to predict because a few could be struggling a little, particularly Antonio as he's not long back from injury and has really pushed himself these last 2 games

I'd like us to line up as close to this XI as possible because they all played fantastically

Masuaka has been fantastic at LWB and Cresswell has looked very comfortable at LCB so why change it

Think we could maybe go with Hernandez up front for Antonio as I don't think Arsenal are in the same class as Chelsea and City so won't be given as much respect so we can have a bit more of the ball

Adrian
    Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zaba - Noble - Obiang - Lanzini - Masuaka
    Arnie - Hernandez/Antonio

Glad we have that extra day to recover, we will need it to get anything out of this game
  • I would like to see Sakho start, Antonio was totally spent today, maybe we can bring him on for half an hour so as a sub to relieve the inevitable pressure.
  • I absolutely don’t want Sakho to start. This system requires hard work, and Sakho hasn’t shown in, imo
  • I think if AC is fit enough then he should start. I wonder if Antonio will be fit enough to recover as hes been in and out with injuries and looked totally knackered when he came off! After the last 2 games I do wonder where our energy will come from. We have players coming back who'll hopefully be up to speed after the Arsenal game to freshen things up if needed. Ayew looked like he hurt himself as soon as he came on too. Hopefully Chicharito will be able to play for a bit from the bench.

Arsenal ripped apart Man Utds defence time after time and they're in good form. I dont expect anything from this game but I'm heartened by todays 3 points that keep us close to half the teams in the league
  • edited December 2017

Man City were ripping defences apart and we looked pretty solid against them.
  • Yep we did (but we still let in 2 goals) ;weep
  • AC managed a hat-trick against them not long ago. Might be worth starting him & bringing on Chicarito second half. We've enough cf s now to make a team... ;whistle
  • I'd start exactly the same team but hopefully Moyes doesn't wait until Antonio stages a Di Canio style sit-down strike before subbing him this time.
  • We play Stoke a few days after Arsenal (next weekend). Stoke are off form and it's a bit of a 6 pointer so we may save ourselves for that match.

I think Carroll is more likely to have success at Arsenal than against Stoke (Shawcross seems to defend quite well against Carroll). So perhaps play Carroll against Arsenal and rest Antonio. Then next week against Stoke being back Antonio. Perhaps Hernandez could get a game against Stoke too.
  • The difference between the speed Arnie and Antonio were chasing Chelsea defenders and the speed Sakho was after he came on was frightening. He was nowhere near them and that comes from not being that bothered, IMO.

Agree also about Carroll, he should be on the bench as if Arsenal have a lot of the ball (likely) our best defence is the threat of the counter posed by Antonio, Arnie and Lanzini's pace.

If Antonio isn't fit, I'd rather Hernandez come in.

Going forward, I hope we'll see a front four of:

- Antonio - Lanzini - Arnie
    - Hernandez -

As often as possible, as I think those are our best attacking/creative players.
  • The difference between the speed Arnie and Antonio were chasing Chelsea defenders and the speed Sakho was after he came on was frightening. He was nowhere near them and that comes from not being that bothered, IMO.

Agree also about Carroll, he should be on the bench as if Arsenal have a lot of the ball (likely) our best defence is the threat of the counter posed by Antonio, Arnie and Lanzini's pace.

If Antonio isn't fit, I'd rather Hernandez come in.

Going forward, I hope we'll see a front four of:

- Antonio - Lanzini - Arnie
    - Hernandez -

As often as possible, as I think those are our best attacking/creative players.

It was similar to how we used to play when we had Enner Valencia and Sakho on form a few seasons back. We would "press from the front" and put pressure on opposition backlines. They covered the channels well and were constant pests to defenders - not giving them any time. I can see a similarity to that yesterday with Antonio and Arnie.
  • Same team to start for this, barring injuries. As long as we stick with a 3-5-2, or an approximation of, with players like Antonio, Arnie, Masuaku and Lanzini who are capable of carrying the ball forwards with a little bit of pace, we will be absolutely fine. As long as we compete for 90 minutes we will give anyone a game. Can only see Carroll fitting in with this as a super sub or plan B. I like Sakho as a player, but I would rather see Martinez, Quina, Samuelsen or Holland (when fit) ahead of him now, a shame, but if we can get a pound or two in January, sell. 2--1 to the Mighty Irons. ;scarf
  • edited December 2017
    Funnily enough Arsenal is a game you want Carroll playing in. Too many lightweights in that Arsenal back 4, other than Koscieleny the rest of there defence definitely would be terrified of Carroll.

Interesting choice for Moyes to make on the team.
  • Deeney tormented their defence, and I'm sure Carroll would do the same, but I think he is the best option off the bench
  • Think a last 20 mins of AC could be useful, but for me yesterday, Arsenal looked troubled by pace.

Keep Arnie and Antonio (if he's got the legs.)
  • I think there is a temptation to use Andy but also I don’t think Moyes cares about leaving players on the bench. It was incredible that we had Sakho, AC, Chicharito and Ayew all sitting on the bench in favour of two attacking wide players. I think a lot will depend on how Antonio recovers. The defence and midfield will be the same. Antonio does give you that option in behind and I think lifting that ball over the Arsenal back line and into the channels with Antonio bustling onto it is a good ploy. Arnie, with his new found confidence, will also give them an issue because he is a bit of a ‘take no prisoners’ player. If Antonio can’t make it then I’d just swap in Chicharito. Sakho, as alderz said, doesn’t do enough. He doesn’t look motivated at all.

However Arsenal do cause us problems. 5-1 last season at our place. Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott all seem to relish playing against us.
  • edited December 2017
    For the first 20 minutes Arsenal were in panic mode... They had no idea what to do with the pace of Charlie Austin, yes folks the pace of Charlie Austin.

Arnie and Antonio will give them heart failure!
  • To be fair, anyone up against Per Mertesacker, is going to trouble him for pace.
  • Mertesacker played because Mustafi was injured, but he's expected to be fit again in time for our game.
  • Is this the same Austin that has no knees according David S..... So even on one leg Antonio should have more pace.
  • ;wave

I've moved comments about Sakho and AC (where they weren't specific to the Arsenal game) to their own threads (where the debate can run and run.....unlike either of them ;wink )
  • edited December 2017
    Just looked at their away games this season.

They’ve scored 9 goals in 8 away games this season, and 5 of those came in one game (vs 10 man Everton).

Obviously they are lethal on their day, but certainly reasons to be targeting something if we defend as we have done over the past two weeks.
  • Same structure please, 3 4 1 2 is the best system for us. Zabelata is better at RWB than RB, Masuaku is better at LWB than LB, Lanzini is better behind a front 2 that out wide of a front 1, and 2 attackers allows us to press defenders and make it harder for them to play out from the back.
  • Lukerz said:

Just looked at their away games this season.

They’ve scored 9 goals in 8 away games this season, and 5 of those came in one game (vs 10 man Everton).

Obviously they are lethal on their day, but certainly reasons to be targeting something if we defend as we have done over the past two weeks.

I don't have any numbers but their defence is meant to be one of the worst in the league away from home as well
  • It will all depend on which West Ham turn up, the one against Chelsea and city where we were up for it we will get something or the one against Everton where arsenal will destroy us I’m hoping Moyes as installed the last two games as benchmarks to them and as daft bet season going for a 2-1 win to the hammers
  • Merson has us down for a 3-1 defeat surprise surprise
  • Merse is a fool, it's what Lawro says that counts
This discussion has been closed.