The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• Luke, very good analysis of the transformation under DM ;clap
  • West Ham manager David Moyes has told Joe Hart that the club's Premier League survival is more important than the 30-year-old goalkeeper's international ambitions. (Daily Mirror)

That must have been an interesting conversation along the lines of "I can't play you and risk getting relegated so I'll play Adrian and we'll have a better chance of survival. In any case I'm Scottish and don't give a monkeys who plays for England"
  • edited December 2017
    Come the new year
    Will we be singing ;quaver ;quaver
    There’s only one doctor Moyes

I am every lunchtime folks for 5 minuets only
    ;yercoat
  • For me (another who by admission was not keen on Moyes), the difference is very simple. I now look forward to the next fixture thinking “we should be looking to get something from this game”. I was thinking this against Chelsea and ahead of the arsenal game too.

In stark contrast, under our previous manager, in the run up to games against the likes of Brighton, my main thought was “how many will we lose by”
  • I agree, it's the biggest thing as a fan to watch knowing you can get something, I do think it's too soon to judge but I know that playing Arsenal on Wednesday I hope to get something, even if only a point, compare this to how we all approached Man City, which was the turning point ( we will give him the two previous games as a settling in period).

The other thing was that against Chelsea I didn't really expect to concede in the last five minutes where as whenever we were in that position previously I was kind of just waiting for the comedy moment where we lost it.

As I have said earlier it's too early to believe we are a different side, but there is certainly enough evidence to hope.
  • edited December 2017
    Being realistic a moment, when playing the likes of Man C, Man U, Arsenal or Chelsea, all
    i really want to feel is that we competed for the full 90 minutes and left the opposition feeling that they have been in a game and that they had to work for the points.

The actual result is less important than the achievement of the above.

However, having achieved the above for our last two outings, I am actually looking forward to this one as I really do feel that we could get something tangible out of it.

Arsenal’s defense looked terrible against Southampton at the weekend, given their forward play, it is hard to see us keeping a clean sheet on Wednesday but I think that we can certainly match them.

I am going for 2-2, an exciting game where we are under pressure but dangerous on the counter.

COYI we can do this ;scarvwal
  • Oh and back to the thread, I think that Moyes has shown that there is enough about him to steady the ship and keep us up, and for that I will thank him, however, I still do not think he has it in him to take us much further.

Just my tuppence worth
  • I'd take his record at Everton for the foreseeable future.
  • edited December 2017
    Deanscale

;ok

I think his record at Everton is the most we (or any club not taken over by billionaires with a desperate need to spend their hard-earned) can realistically expect.
  • Another confirmation on how poor the fitness levels were under Bilic. The only "excuse" I can think of for Bilic is that in the continental let the ball do the work style fitness isn't the same...

But he was in PL so even that doesn't really hold water, it's very odd you would think making a player fit is the first and probably easiest part of Mng...

-----
    Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, Curbishley said: “Against Man City and Chelsea, they had a plan.

“David took my old fitness coach, Nick Davies, in there and I understand the fitness levels, the stats, were pretty poor.

“I know lots of managers talk about that when they go into a club and say let’s improve the fitness levels, but I think it was something West Ham needed to do. The proof is on the pitch.”

• Another big effort by Dave Moyes
    ;cheers
  • edited December 2017
    DM is stepping up at present, a clear improvement in results, desire and performances. Too early to say job done as a big task ahead and lose to Newcastle and we will have just used the breathing space created by Saturday's fantastic result, but very impressed and appropriately quietened .

I have also heard it mentioned that he and his team are working for pretty much expenses but on very good bonus incentives, if so all credit to them for backing up their belief in themselves. It did say however they have submitted hand written receipts for flying from Scotland to training in a lear jet each day and having lunch delivered by Harrods but fair play anyhow.

A signal of how much things have changed I realised I believe we can beat Arsenal on Tuesday and that thought wouldn't have been there a month ago, we may need them rest a few and we may need go for it ourselves but we can do it.
  • I know it’s far too early yet, but I read a headline somewhere saying “David Moyes has finally found his kind of club”. I don't think it's time just yet to talk about who our manager is next year, but surely the ghost of a permanent appointment is slowly materialising in our collective conscious. What if West Ham is Moyes' "next Everton"?
  • I'd be very happy with that Secret.
  • Been thinking the same.

Assuming we come through the Christmas period in the same kind of form we've been showing recently, and are uppish in the table (compared to being in the bottom 3) I'd be happy for the board to try to tie him down.
  • Yep... under those circumstances a 3-year contract.
  • Claretandblue

"they have submitted hand written receipts for flying from Scotland to training in a lear jet each day and having lunch delivered by Harrods but fair play anyhow"

;lol
  • “David Moyes May well have found his club” let us hope so because that conclusion can only be arrived it if it is clear that West Ham are doing well, and surely that is what we all want.

I am not tucking into my humble pie just yet, but I did check on it over the weekend to make sure I recalled where I put it.

;porkpie
  • “David Moyes May well have found his club” let us hope so because that conclusion can only be arrived it if it is clear that West Ham are doing well, and surely that is what we all want.

I am not tucking into my humble pie just yet, but I did check on it over the weekend to make sure I recalled where I put it.

;porkpie

Thort id tuck into mine before it went out of date
  • edited December 2017
    bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42405860

Is it just me, or does this kind of article seem entirely unnecessary? ;hmm Moyes was open to a lot of abuse following his last three jobs, and it feels like there's a slight mocking tone to it.

I may just be slightly sensitive towards the British media today given their 'headline' news about the new aircraft carrier.
  • I’m warming to him but any job lol I can name three where he obviously couldn’t maybe it was tongue in cheek or even a pop at the owners to sort a contract out for him cus love or hate it he his moving the club in the right direction so far imo
  • It’s onviously tongue in cheek. I could manage any club in the world but how long I’d last is another matter.
  • There are probably a few Sunderland fans choking on their coffee at that claim.
  • his last jokey remark to a female media person didn't go down too well either...I think he should use his common sense more. Memo to DM: don't use any boot polish in Christmas fancy dress parties ;wink
  • Been thinking the same.

Assuming we come through the Christmas period in the same kind of form we've been showing recently, and are uppish in the table (compared to being in the bottom 3) I'd be happy for the board to try to tie him down.

I thought he already was tied down? With a 2.5 year contract that has a break after 6 months that either party can exercise?

;hmm
  • Slizzy

I haven't seen that. (Which, of course, doesn't mean it isn't right.)

All I saw was they were here for 6 months.
  • I read / heard along the lines of Slizzy's 2.5years with 6 month break clause early in the piece but more recently it's been reported as 6 months. Mind that could just be the media having a pop.
  • If you Google (other search engines are available, just Google them...), there are some suggestions that it is a break clause, but most go with the '6 months and then we'll see' angle.

Whatever it is, I hope the outcome is a longer deal.

There shouldn't be too many problems, assuming we carry on our improvement, as the club will obviously want him and his team, and he is unlikely to be offered a more attractive PL club.
  • If he keeps us up, with a fresh summer then I’d be happy for him to stay, but he’s got to get working on some consistency and pretty soon
  • edited December 2017
    I would definitely wait until the end of the season as it's hard to get a good picture at present, I think he has had seven premiership matches and as done very well in three, Chelsea, Stoke and Arsenal, ok in two Leicester and Man City and very bad in two against Everton and Newcastle. he has a complete second half of a season to show if he still has the manager he was at Everton inside of him, and definitely a group of players able enough to help him stay up.

As for my prediction I think he will keep us up (just) with something between 38-40 points.
This discussion has been closed.