Will there be a new captain under the new manager?

I've moved these off the Watford match thread as it will be of wider interest/relevance methinks.

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Wonder if Noble will keep the captaincy role under Moyes ;hmm
    Also Pity Snodgrass at Villa , could have been our new managers Scottish insider!..
  • Snodgrass is the sort of player who would find decent form under Moyes
  • He got hooked after 40 minutes last Saturday, and not injured. ;lol
  • I would be gobsmacked if Noble was kept as the club captain, but would also not be surprised at all to see him feature less frequently, with Reid filling in as skipper
  • edited November 2017
    IronHerb said:

He got hooked after 40 minutes last Saturday, and not injured. ;lol

;bowdown
  • IronHerb said:

He got hooked after 40 minutes last Saturday, and not injured. ;lol

Got a goal and an assist the time before?? ;hmm
  • Next season, Zabaleta captain? I'm worried by Reid as leader: he seems to throw tantrums at players & refs alike, gets booked more often. (Need some Alderz stats to prove/disprove this wild assertion.)
  • Reid gets booked more often? Zab got 5 yellows in 9 games and missed the 10th.

Takes some beating. ;wink
  • edited November 2017

Next season, Zabaleta captain? I'm worried by Reid as leader: he seems to throw tantrums at players & refs alike, gets booked more often. (Need some Alderz stats to prove/disprove this wild assertion.)

On Squawka they have four categories of cards: 'Violence', 'Tackling', 'Verbal' and 'Other'.

I cannot find a definition for 'Other', but apparently Reid got booked this season against Spurs, Burnley & Liverpool. The Liverpool one was for a tackle. One of the others was 'Verbal' and one was for 'Other'. I've just been through the 'As It Happened' match reports for both games on the club website, and neither of them mention him being booked in either game. So I honestly can't work out what 'Other' could include.

AAAAANYWAY

Squawka goes back to June 2012 when it was launched. Since then, Winston has made 150 Premier League appearances for us, receiving 37 yellow cards, one every 4.1 appearances.

Of those cards, the listed reasons are:
    Violence: 0 ;clap
    Tackling: 25
    Verbal: 2
    'Other': 10

So, the definition of 'Other' becomes pretty important in answering the question here. If we assume it is different to 'Verbal', and we assume that "throwing a tantrum" would be classed as 'Verbal', then no, he doesn't get himself booked for throwing a tanny.

I'm going to try and work out what 'Other' might mean by looking at some other players too.

EDIT: I've just found that Lanzini got an 'Other' booking against Liverpool, and that was for (according to the Sky Sports app) "booting the ball away". In which case, Winston may have had up to 12 bookings for dissent / petulance / tantrums in his last 150 appearances.
  • edited November 2017
    No. Noble will still be Captain.

Moyes admitted before at Sunderland he got rid of too much experience at the club and had learnt from that mistake.
  • I agree, if he plays I think Nobes will be captain against Watford.
  • Reading that Sunderland fan thing, Moyes replaced a player as he wanted a British mentality in MF...

Personally not sure what Nationality has got to do with it as I would want Viera and Modric in MF....

But assuming he was referring to some perceived benefit from "Britishness" then Noble will keep the armband.
  • As he's only contracted until the summer I doubt he would change from Nobes.
  • I think that when managers refer to 'Britishness', what they are actually meaning is fight, determination, passion, grit. I don't necessarily think that British players have more of that than anyone else, but in this country it seems that we have equated those characteristics to our national identity.

But, you are right, Vieira is one of the most 'British' footballers I've ever seen, based on those descriptors.
  • and Arsenal haven't ever effectively replaced him.
  • edited November 2017
    I think he means someone like Billy Bonds - if only.
  • Stripping Noble of the armband might be a big mistake, he's beee
    alderz said:

I think that when managers refer to 'Britishness', what they are actually meaning is fight, determination, passion, grit.

and queuing. We love a good queue
  • and tutting, don't forget the tutting.
  • And apologising when someone bumps into you.
  • And, for extreme situations, muttering after tutting.
  • edited November 2017
    And filling awkward silences in a taxi by asking the driver if they've been busy
  • ;nonono Never! A silence in a taxi is never awkward. Listening to the driver's opinions however ...
  • I'm british and I think it must be time for a nice cup of tea ;tea
  • MrsGrey said:

;nonono Never! A silence in a taxi is never awkward. Listening to the driver's opinions however ...

As a son of a cabby I'm pretty sure everything they say is 100% correct...

;tumbleweed
  • And why does everyone say "Oh dear" after laughing. ;lol Oh dear.

• MrsGrey said:

;nonono Never! A silence in a taxi is never awkward. Listening to the driver's opinions however ...

As a son of a cabby I'm pretty sure everything they say is 100% correct...

;tumbleweed
    Vorse, grey's brother-in-law is a cabbie, and I've lost count of how many things he is wrong about! ;lol
  • And why does everyone say "Oh dear" after laughing. ;lol Oh dear.

And you know you're British when you can't get up to leave anywhere without saying "right..." beforehand
  • edited November 2017
    British since of humour dear boy, when the chips appear to be down ; its the stiff upper lip time.
    And for those who don’t know how to sniffing, ones lip
    Read this please
    Placed pencil under nose and above top lip.
    Raise top lip to clench “ said pencil”
    Hold this pose till drama ends

Advance level
    Or continuation training
    Top pencil in place
    Next neeeds to beunder bottom lip and clench above the chin,,,,
    So you a pencil above and below your lips

Intructer level
    Do this stiff upper lip with out aid of pencils
  • Be very surprised if there is a change of captain. Obviously if Noble doesn’t play there will be but as long as he is available. I expect Moyes to pick him regularly tbh.